Adding Braid to Felt Tricorn

Mick MacAnselan

I has a 15 year old Singer that me sister gave t'me about 7 years ago. It be fine fer me Jedi costumes and such (lots of straight seams!). It won't touch dense fabrics or leather and I has the same problem as Rumba with fancy threads breakin' or ballin' up.

And a new machine be low on me priority list as well...

So just call me a wussie! <_<

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Rumba, my new white does automatic button holes setting.

The foot you set a button into the top, then slide it till closes onto the button. Then you put that into your machine. Basically the foot is now set to sew the exact length for your button hole. You set the machine to button hole setting and away it sews. I used to avoid button holes on any project. I still haven't gotten it perfected on this machine yet, but the idea is amazing on it.

Depending on the shank and way your feet snap in, you might be able to buy the foot. Maybe Bernina has a version of it now, since white and bernina tend to release similar items to keep on compition with each other.

I highly recommend hand sewing. It's not very time consuming and it's easy to remove down the line - my hat has outlasted three trims... Can't imagine what would have happened if I had tried to remove the trim if glued. And I'm not even a thread Nazi... I just found it the easiest way to line up the trim and get it to stay on.

-- The Captain

I used to hand make all my smaller higher class hats for renaissance faires. So I commend you on doing them that way now! In the past few years of living in cold weather my hands have gotten worse and I can't handle a needle the way I could before, so that's why I use the machine now. I wish my hands were better, because I got a great book for embrodiery. Remind me to give you all the name of it, because it's classical embroidery along with how to do needle lace, that is great for the more frufru style characters one might want to make costumes for.

I be using a Kenmore model of some sort that I bought for Pyrate Molly. And no I didn't buy it presuming upon any gender related domestic role. But I haven't a clue how to work the thing beyond pressing the pedal and changing needles as I break them. It's suppose to have some cool gadgety stuff, but I can't remember what now. Neither Molly or meself know how to access them, the manual was lost long ago during one of several moves.

Now I just wrote the model number down so I could hopefully find the user manual online. . . I know it's here somewhere.

Well, more rum will help me find it.

For shame, all of you guys are wussies. Except for Duchess and Isabella. .  and maybe BlackJohn.

I’ve sewn all the trim on the hats I’ve made, 8 so far I think. I just pin on the trim and run it through a sewing machine.

Wussy, eh? Belay that name callin'!!!

;)

On all but one of me hats, I've sewn the trim on by hand, without pinning it down, without using a thimble. The blood from pierced fingertips lends that extra air of authenticity.

:)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

BTW- What brand of sewing machines are people using here?

Rumba Rue

**Fumble fingers** ;)

I am fortunate to have several different sewing machines. One standard houshold type UNIVERSAL, which will do good button holes in addition to regular sewing; one serger; and two heavy duty SINGER leather/upholstery type industrial machines, one of which will reach up into a sleeve or down into a boot if need be. Having the heavy machines makes it possible to sew even the thickest layers of material with ease. I think the bigger of the two would sew plywood if I needed to !!!! I am truly blessed.....

>>>>> Cascabel

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Thanks for all the advice. In the end, I wound up using Tack 2000 Spray Adhesive. Then I touched up a couple of loose spots with the gel type of super glue. Here's a pic of the result.

Tricorn with Braid

Yes, I am a Wussy for not sewing, but this braid is so 'rope-like' rather than 'ribbon-like' that I didn't have much confidence in my chances.

Now... I'm thinking of waterproofing the felt. Any ideas? Thanks Again!

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick