At sea in the 1760s

gibbs

I was fortunate to receive some valuable answers the last time I posted a question in this forum, so I thought I'd try my luck again.

I'm embarking on a new project, a fictional account of a brig returning from England to its home port in Rhode Island in the 1760s. I have the story itself worked out. But I've run aground on the details. The truth is, I have very little nautical knowledge, especially as it relates to the mid-18th century.

I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend books or any other source material that I might use to familiarize myself with life at sea during the 1760s or thereabouts. I'm interested to know the layout of such a ship (brig), nautical terminology of the day, the crew's duties, the daily routine of sailing and tasks involved, that sort of thing. I value historical authenticity, so I'm willing to put in the research time.

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Shipmate, I bought, a few months ago, but just started reading last night, SHIPS AND SEAMEN OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION, by Jack Coggins, available from Dover Publications.

Also, someone just a few days ago handed me a printout of a few pages about cannon from PIRATES AND PATRIOTS OF THE REVOLUTION, by C. Keith Wilbur, available from The Globe Pequot Press: if the rest of the book is as good as those few pages, the book must be terrific!

Granted, these are re the 1770's; but I can't imagine that things changed that much in 10 years for Jack Tar.

Capt William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I'd like to add:

"The Wooden World: An anatomy of the Georgian Navy", by NAM Rodger. Fontana Press, ISBN 0 00 686152 0 (Here at Amazon)

and "Sailors, English Merchant Seamen 1650-1775" by Peter Earle. Methuen, ISBN 0 413 68840-2 (Here at Amazon)

Both the above are superb books, and even if they're not quite what you're looking for they provide incredible background detail. Frankly I think anyone interested in the nautical history of the 18thC (particularly as it relates to English seamen) should have copies of both those books.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Matey Gibbs,

Strongly recommend the Coggins book "Ships & Seamen of American

Revolution" as Capt'n William suggest. Also glad to see that it is back in print. Both of Capt'n William's suggestion I use a lot in my modeling. The Keith Wilbur, M.D. book: P & P of Am. Revlt, 1984, ISBN 0-87106-866-4

Also, The Frigates by James Henderson, 1970, / 1971 by Dodd, Mead & Company. ISBN 0396 06284 9

Deals w/ Royal Navy, and is an informative read

Superstitions of the Sea, James Clary, 1994. ISBN 0-916637-00X

An oversize / coffee table book that has many origins of superstitions...such as why use wine when launching a ship...which leads to a lot of jinxed ships launched during Prohibition ! :rolleyes:

The British author E.K. Chatterton is very good & has written much about nautical history. His Romance of Piracy is rare. The Ship Under Sail is a good overall history. E.K.'s books are a bit pricey...& best obtained through inter-library loan if not available. They are out-of-print books.

There is also the Howard Chapelle's The Search for Speed Under Sail, 1700-1855. Chapelle was the Smithsonian's nautical historian. Deals more with the ship, itself, though has good info & ship plans.

The is also a book by Avi that my sons read for school about a girl on a brig...actually a snow. Can't recall the name & they're away for the weekend.

A good book searching website is:

http://www.bookfinder.com

new, used, out-of-print, & collector books that one must sell the first born for.

Enjoy the research !

The books actually take place in the 1790's, but the "Kydd" series by Julian Stockwin are first rate reads for info on the average Jack Tar. So acurate are these books, they are endorsed by and sold in the gift shop of the HMS Victory in Portsmouth, England... besides, things didn't change all that much in 30 years between the 1760's and 1790's.

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

I can never get the blasted hyperlinks to work right, but the accounts I found of my ancestor's travels are found well documented in

http://www.fullbooks.com/A-General-History...agesx24519.html Clicking back to the start (My section was chapter 10 mostly) should give a fair bit of info. If the url doesn't go there for you, a google search for 'john clipperton ship speedwell 'shows the fullbooks link a few answers down. I realize the time-frame isn't quite what you're looking for, but I wonder how much things changed in 40 years back then?

:lol: ps; here's to all the ladies ;);)

Thank you for the replies. It sounds like you know your stuff, and that's what I was counting on.

It would seem I have some formidable reading ahead.

I'm familiar with Keith Wilbur's work -- in fact, I have his New England Indians book on my shelf. I also have "Superstitions of the Sea." Picked it up at a library sale last year but haven't gotten 'round to reading it yet.

I agree it would be good to acquaint myself with the Revolutionary War era ships. It would help with historical context, while also imparting the practical information I inquired about.

And you're right -- things probably didn't change that much give or take a couple decades. It's not like ships of that era suddenly converted to steam power or started using global positioning systems, LOL.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'ere's one for ye'r 'records'........

In the heyday of sailing ships, all

war ships and many freighters carried iron cannons. Those cannons fired

round iron cannon balls. It was

necessary to keep a good supply near the cannon. However, how to prevent

them from rolling about the deck? The best storage method devised was a

square-based pyramid with one ball on top, resting on four resting on

nine, which rested on sixteen. Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be

stacked in a small area right next to the cannon. There was only one

problem...how

to prevent the bottom layer from sliding or rolling from under the others.

The solution was a metal plate called a "Monkey" with 16 round

indentations. However, if this plate were made of iron, the iron balls

would quickly rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was to make

"Brass Monkeys." Few landlubbers realize that brass constricts much more

and much faster than iron when chilled. Consequently, when the temperature

dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron

cannonballs would come right off the monkey. Thus, it was quite literally,

"Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey."

:(