Pirates and Emperors

Coastie04

:rolleyes:

Yeah... I downloaded and edited it to cut out the anti-american propaganda... the first section of it is funny as hell though!

Uhh... seems to me that once the propaganda be removed there isn't anything left...

The Duchess

It's kinda pissing me off too. The first verse is all funny as hell, the chorus is funny as hell, and the BOOM! Anti-american crap for the rest of it. It's not like I _like_ war, but people wonder why other countries hate america? Because of people spreading stuff like this, that only tells the negative side of any given story.

And no, I'm not pissed off at anyone here in the pub. I'm pissed off at the guy(s) who made this, for making it cutesy enough to lull people in to an anti-american sentiment.

Here's what his website says about it:

great powers have been throwing their weight around like schoolyard bullies since St. Augustine's time.

Analyzing the video, it begins in the days of St. Augustine. Then it switches to modern america. What in the hell do the two have to do with eachother, for one thing? And for another, it mentions NO other countries. America is NOT the only country to do things like this. It says "great powers", but it ONLY bashes america.

:rolleyes:

But to retort:

There IS a funny little video clip when you remove the anti-american crap from it. If you really want to see it, contact me privately.

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

Well, if it came out in the 80's, it would probably be bashing the soviets, and it would be shown on saturday morning cartoons. But we're the only superpower now, and no one can stand up to us, and it seems that all we've ever done with this status is cut and run too early (Clinton) or ride roughshod over nations at the behest of special interests (Iraq.) If we want to export democracy, why aren't we exporting the free market economy everybody claims supports democracy? Why are contract workers from other countries building roads in Afghanistan and Iraq? Oh, because Halliburton, and Kellog, Brown, and Root, and all the other countries that won government contracts ('won' - that's a joke. there were no bids!) can charge a little bit more for those workers, and pocket a little bit more. If you want Iraq (or afghanistan) and it's citizens to cooperate, give them a stake in their own future. Give them those jobs. Don't create a massive welfare state, because by the politicians' own logic they won't contribute a thing to their own countries.

Yes, other countries have acted ruthlessly. But we AREN'T other countries. We are America, a beautiful democracy. We should behave differently because we ARE different. Or at least we used to be.

Now, that being said, the thing that pisses ME off is this person spending their efforts to point out that there is something wrong with the way our country behaves in the world. Well, duh. Get off your duff and start a grass-roots movement to reform government. Don't point to a house on fire and wait for others to put it out. Grab a bucket, dude.

Thus concludeth the sermon.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum