Am I the only one here ...

Jenny G.

Who has never been aboard a pirate ship?

Who has never met a pirate?

Well Jenny you stir memories for me. I have not told many this story but I will share it with you now as I think of it more frequently as I grow older.

In 1961 I sailed into St. Augustine, Florida with my father who was captain of the shrimp trawler "Rodonsetta". We came from Key West to fish the local shrimp grounds. It was the summer so I had no schooling to worry with and would go to sea with Dad.

My mother had escaped him some years before so now my care was placed with first one of his female friends then another. One night while he was away to the Canaveral shrimp grounds, I woke up alone. I never saw his girl friend again and only saw him one other time the next year after the O'Steen family took me in. I was lucky for an eleven-year-old lad.

I did hear about him a few years later. He had gone to the west coast of Florida; gone on a drinking binge and sold the boat he was captain of at the time. The Feds were looking for him for piracy. It seems the vessel was not his...I guess that makes me the son of a Pirate...lol. Any way it was the best thing for me as I stayed with the O’Steen s until I joined the navy. That is when I took their name.

So there you are, I've bared me soul and shared my secrete and now you know why I am here.

Captain Viper

(Joe O'Steen, writer and son of a Pirate)

ps: the Pirate's Name was Jefferson Hayes

• 4 weeks later...

Wow Redviper. That be a hell of a tale. Glad it ended well for you. Well Jenny, for me it was watching the old sea tales every Sunday in Boston. Then I found out I was related to Pirates while doing a geneology project in school. After that I was a Sea Cadet aboard the USS Constitution. I joined the navy and then have been doing re enacting ever since. If it's in your blood, it'll leech out eventually. Welcome!!

Scupper

:D

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."