Sing a Song of Sixpence

blackjohn

Hmph! Well, I was skeptical at first, but the further down the page I got, the more sense it made! It's pretty damn cool, actually. Nice piece of lore. I love lore. :(

My only question is, if a pirate wandered around a coastal village singing this, or sat at his beer-stained table at an ordinary singing this, how many sailors out of every ten do you think "got it"?

Of course if a notorious pirate like Blackbeard was in town, word probably spread like wildfire anyway.

The other reason I'm still a little skeptical is that the vast majority of recruits simply joined on pirate ships when their previous vessels were captured. Others were pressed against their will. So unless a bad stroke of luck hit and a pirate simply could find the numbers of men needed while at sea, they shouldn't have had to recruit on land. That was something more in keeping with the great buccaneer raids of the 1660s.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

well thats cheerful. Anyway i've been told so many thingsabout nersury rymes over the years i just tend to agree with whose ever speaking at the time

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

• 2 months later...
Guest Barbette
Hey.... did anyone notice that all three pages...... the first one saying it was true, and the next two saying it was an urban myth....... were all from the SAME site...... www.scopes.com    ;)

If you read the page that talks about "False Authority Syndrom" it explains that everything in the "www.Snopes.com/lost" area on the site is a fabrication, so even though it looks like they're confirming the legend as true, they're not.