Stupid Questions

Patrick Hand

OK.... I may be able to go to Pip.....

But I have some stupid questions that people who have been there before may be able to ansewer...........

First stupid question.......

What is the general "weapons policy"

...cutlasses "piece bound ?" ..... or is carrying a cutlass frowned upon.......

is there anything that I should know about carrying weapons?

Having your weapons peace tied is not a requirement, but is a good idea, considering that you will spend a lot of time in bars full of curious and inebriated people. Some of them are ill-mannered enough to want to "see" your weapons without asking first.

I usually have both sword and pistol on me all the time. I am usually one of the safety officers, so feel free to ask me anything weapon related, either on the pub or in person at the event.

>>>>> Cascabel

None sucha a ting as a stupid inquirery, only not inquiring is stupid. Yer be ahead o der game dere Partick. Casabel be one o dey most knowledgeable mates around abou blackpowder and such. Casabel, iffen yer look heres again, canna ye post some o dey does and do nots regarding swords and pistols and such as dey pertain to PIP?

Animal

:huh:

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Ahoy back to ye, Animal.

As far as do's and dont's go..... Blades need to be in a scabbard. We don't want exposed points for someone to walk into, so no naked cutlasses just shoved into your belt. Don't pull out a blade in a crowded area, or let a non-participant handle it. Again, someone may walk into it. Don't pull out a pistol and wave it around or point it at anyone or anything, or allow a non-participant to handle it. ALL firing must be approved by one of the safety officers. No carrying of loaded weapons except when participating in a scene or an approved fight. Use of wadding is discouraged. If a weapon is to be discharged immediately, wadding is not necessary, and creates a fire hazard. No one may fire a weapon during the event without being pre-approved by one of the safety officers. Weapons inspections will be done as needed at morning cast calls. Inspections will include determining a person's understanding of basic gun safety and knowledge of operating their weapon. Instruction will be available for novices. No sword fighting except by pre-approved participants and in designated areas.

Pretty much common sense.....

>>>>> Cascabel

Thank ye, Casabel. Yer a trough of dey finest and most accurate information. glad ter hear about the bare blades. Me needs ter makes me a sheath fer me cutlass.

Animal

:huh:

Cascabel.... Thanks, that was what I wanted to know....

somehow a pyrate without weapons, just dosen't look right.... but if they were a huge hastle, eaiser the just leave them at home.....

..."Pretty much common sense....." OK I can handle that..........

I figure as Pip gets closer, (and if everything works out...) I will have other questions to ask those who have been there befor........

Nother stupid question....... and kinda delicate.........

how are the police in Key West?

In Santa Cruz.... you have to be doing something wrong to get hastled...... In Sonora, just dressing like a pyrate was enough to get stopped....

So if you have a tummy full of rum, walking back to your room (not yelling... or a "danger to yourself or others") do they hastle you?

I know this is another "comon sence" bit....... but how do they handle the influx of pyrates......?

The police are pretty laid back. They know that there is a pirate festival in town, and people will be walking around in dressed like pirates with swords and period pistols. Believe me, the Key West police are quite used to strange sights !!!! Just don't do anything REALLY stupid and everything should be fine.

>>>>> Cascabel

Patrick...

I walked from one end of Duval Street in the afternoon, drinking my way to Schooner Wharf Bar.

I then walked back to the other end of Duval Street at about 2:00am, drink in hand, picking up a store manneqin (set out for trash pick up) and walked back to my room with it under my arm.

Didn't even see a cop.

That answer your question? :lol:

BLACK SKOT ---(BLACKIE)

"Quarter" Master

Pyrates of the Coast

"Permit me aboard and I'll be takin' over yer ship...

Don't permit me aboard and I'll still take over yer ship"

That answers part of the question lad, but I don't think I want to know what you and the manneqin were doing once you got there. And I really hope it was a womaneqin...

-- The Captain

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Aye....No worries Captain!

It was merely a gag gift for me mum from Key West. (She loved it!)

As fer when I got there......I can only say that my lovely wife will not permit me to speak of the goings on.

BUT, we did have an audience. *The manneqin* :lol:

BLACK SKOT ---(BLACKIE)

"Quarter" Master

Pyrates of the Coast

The question about the cops... I figured they were use to all the pyrates....

I've just had hastles in Sonora CA. for dressing like a pyrate.......(once after the opening of PotC and another time on Halloween.... cowboys and gunslingers they can understand.... Pyrates confuse them.....)

But I remembered another question.....

What is the weather like then.... I don't think I will have to bring an overcoat... but I wouldn't want to over or under pack.......

The weather can vary quite a bit. Last year, it was cold, and I had to wear my watchcoat over everything else, and was glad I had it even during the daytime. Other years, it has been been warm enough to make you wish you were dressed like a tourist with shorts and no shirt. Hard to predict, so I come prepared......

>>>>> Cascabel

Patrick, ye can keep up wit de weather and such in the keys by going to www.keysnews.com FantasyFest is starting this weekend and runs for the week. They have klive cam at vatious locations in the Keys. Might be fun to see what your missing. Fer me, I wish I was there now for FantasyFest.

Animal

:ph34r:

Animal,

It's hard work bein in Key West during Fantasy Fest. I was out at the Carnival of Chaos last night (in garb, of course) they had free ghost tours for anyone in costume and a VIP room at the Hard Rock for all of us. Very Cool. Lots of Rum. I'm trying to make sure that i get a toast off to all the crew...each night. this requires drinking lots of rum, but i will unselfishly do me best. :D The cap'n got a drunken phone call last night :D

Only a month to go till me vacation and it can't come soon enough!

The Sloppy Joe Cam is great, their toga party is thursday at about 10pm. fantasyfest.net has some good info too.

I'll also be in the parade on Saturday night. 70,000 people screaming for your attention. gotta love it. Maybe one year ye'll get to see it.

I'm also sad to announce that it's now getting cold down here. Woke up to 78 degrees this morning..it's now only 84....brrrr.

See everyone soon!

Deadly Aim

:D

pil'-lag-ing

It's like looting, but the shopkeeper is watching from behind some hastily contrived shelter.

Rum Wench - Pyrates of the Coast

Aye...........Look who creeped outta the bilge! DEADLY AIM!!!!! :blink:

BLACK SKOT ---(BLACKIE)

"Quarter" Master

Pyrates of the Coast

well, as it's Fantasy Fest, and PIP is coming up quickly, I have been working very hard to fulfill my position as rum wench for the Pirates of the Coast. :) I am pleased to announce that all the rum i have drunk... drank....drinked.... so far has been very good. Well, there was a barrel of bad rum, so I drank it so none of the crew would have to. That would be the reason that I haven't surfaced on the pub lately.

Deadly Aim

pil'-lag-ing

It's like looting, but the shopkeeper is watching from behind some hastily contrived shelter.

Ah, Deadly Aim...dey lady be lookin out fer us, says I. She be makin sure dey stock be up to snuff, fer sure. Me tanks ye an 'ohpes dat me wil be ableter sees yer on de webcam one night. Only a month awa y til me an de Doc set foot in paradise.

Animal

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this year, baring a small miracle, so would someone be so kind as to post the site of the web-cam you've been talking about? I'ld at least like a look at what I'm missing.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Here is the Live Duval Street Cam, if you watch the nights during PIP, i'm sure you'll see some of us wandering around!

http://www.liveduvalstreet.com/

and i'm proud to annouce that Southernmost Won Best Animated Float for Fantasy Fest This year!!!! whoo hooo!!!

Here's a link to view our float, it was much more impressive in person.

http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news?c...&p=Fantasy+Fest

Deadly Aim

:lol:

pil'-lag-ing

78???

Ye mean when we come down there, I'll have t'wear CLOTHES?

Argh and avast.

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

78??

you mean when I come down there I won't have to wear a coat??

its 45 here daytime. brrrr.

Hey NIgel, SHOW ME THE BUNNY!

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Go to suncom.com - they have a place to enter your zip so you can see your coverage. I've never had any problems with service down there. The connectivity is great all over the keys, just depends whether you're on a roaming plan or not. So I would check on their site for the specifics.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com