Favorite piracy book rebound to match the period

Capn_Enigma

Avast there!

Just collected a re- bound book from our local bookbinder. It is the "Buccaneers of America" by Alexandre Olivier Exquemelin that was first published in 1678.

I had the book rebound in goatskin and decorated it with the year of publishing on the cover (1678 translates to MDCLXXVIII in Latin numerals) and a french lilies on the spine (as Exquemelin was a frenchman).

What a transition! From an ordinary, dull paperback like this:

048640966X.01._PE_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

to a work of art:

bookclose.jpg

bookopen.jpg

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

You must be proud

Ahoy King's Pyrate,

I am only the proud owner. The one who really was (and should be) proud of this excellent work was the bookbinder. pirateWink.gif

If I may, how much did it cost, and how easy/difficult was it to find someone with the skills to do it?

Ahoy Blackjohn,

I spent 50 Pieces of Eight (Euros pirateWink.gif) on the binding, because the leather binding is about twice as expensive as a normal binding.

I was pointed to the bookbinder by our local Landesbibliothek (State Library). They have lots of very old tomes there. One that I studied was dated 1512, and I have to confess that my hands trembled when I turned the pages over.

So I figured that if anybody knew where to have books bound, it had to be them and, indeed, they were able to help me.

The bookbinder was a very nice and competent older gentleman and he and I had a great discussion as to how to bind it, what material and embellishments to use, etc.

I am particularly fond of the smoothness of the goatskin. It is as smooth as silk and feels great. I am already thinking of also having my edition of "A General History Of The Robberies & Murders Of The Most Notorious Pirates" rebound. Have to to plunder a few galleons first, though. pirateWink.gif

Hopefully, this book will last for a long time to come.

Hope this helps,

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

books are so beautiful.... enjoy that

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

• 2 weeks later...

Three or four years before I joined this forum I had the good fortune to visit the Huntington Gardens over spring break while they had the "Reading for Fun and Profit" exhibit where I got to see, among other things, an original Gutenburg (sic) bible. Needless to say, when I returned to Good 'Ol Marquette University here in the midwest, my professors and I, dorks that we are, went out for a drink at the union and talked about our favorite old books. I love old books, and if being a dork means I'm passionate about esoteric things, I am proud to be a dork.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum