Early 18th Century shoes

I have a re-enacting shoe fetish.... so to speak. I really feel that shoes are the achilles heal of re-enacting because they are not flashy or sexy like a sword, coat, or pistol and are often overlooked by the re-enactor. I always seem to judge a living historian by the shoes that they wear, because it usually is an indicator (for me) as to that persons' attention to detail.

That being said, has anyone bought or seen first hand, Jarnigans early 18th Century shoe?

http://www.jarnaginco.com/FIcatframe.html

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I just bought a pair of colonial shoes from Fugawee:

Men's Colonial Shoes

I got the "Concord" style. I chose the "smooth out" option for an upperclass look, and right/left rather than straight lasts because I'm a comfort-loving hedonist. They arrived yesterday and they look to be excellent quality for the price. Haven't yet broken them in, so I'll repost in a few weeks and let you know how they're coming along.

:ph34r:

GoF, as you well know I'm still wearing my beat-up old RevWar shoes, or my farbulon gurkee rope sandals.

I'm waiting to hear JoshuaRed's report on the Jarnigans, as well as your report from the "Korean Connection."

Do you have close-up pics of the stiching on your shoes? I must admit, the constant debate over shoes has piqued my interest.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I have 3 pair of 18th C shoes. My first, and oldest, is a cut down pair of Fugawee civil war brogans. Leaving the tongue long looks good, but they are a bit sloppy withy the akles cut away. I wear these for the absolutely filthy, disgusting work like mucking the pens or fighting in swamps.

Next I got a pair of straight last Fugawee Ft. Ligonier style, rough out. I love these. They are my favourite shoes for fighting and land based stuff Fit well, and I do rotate so they don't take a set to one foot or the other. Keeps the wear on the soles and heels even.

last, I bought a pair of shoes from Flying Canoe Traders. They are right and left, which I don't like as not being accurate, but they do have rubber heels, so are better on a wet deck. Since I have to wear shoes due to ships orders, these are a better choice than plain leather soles and heels.

I agree, shoes are almost always the most inauthentic part of kit. Limited supplies and high prices make it one of the last acquisitions for most people.

Hawkyns

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I have a couple of pair of shoes I use for re-enactments.. Though neither of them are true to period. They are both boots. One pair is a good leather with a continuous cross lace that goes to the top of the boot. The other is a pair of very good leather boots that are a bit closer to period footwear. They are twist lace with leather over twelve buttons on the side. This also makes them a side split boot.

As many have said, footwear is usually the one part of a costume that most people get last, due to cost and supply. Good quality period footwear can cost an extreme amount of money and a lot of folks find it easier to fudge the shoes and consentrate on the rest of thier outfit. Personally, I think thats a cool way to do things. Work with what you've got and have fun.

Let me know how the Jarnigans work out. I would love to see a pair of them when you get them...

I have an old pair of Civil War (repro) brogains that I've had to glue new (ruber) soles on..... not 100% period, but they do look better than cowboy boots..........

I did take the heel plates off tho...... I got tired of sliding all over the place when they got wet........

Hawkyns, Some time ago you talked about cutting down and massaging a pair of commercial boots and sewing on taller leg leather. Did you ever get around to doing that?

Not yet. I've got the leather for the barrels on the shelf waiting, but I haven't found the right pair of boots to cut apart yet. I'm looking for a pair of low heeled straight barrel boots like the old Sears engineer boots. Closest thing I've found so far is a pair of Harley riding boots, but $175 just because it has a Harley logo is ridiculous. Still looking, I'll let you know when I get started.

Hawkyns

:rolleyes:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Just a thought on Period shoes......

in one of the Foxfire books, there is a chapter on cobbling..... hummm... straight last... that means I only have to make one....

so my feet point funny..... ok can live with that... may be do able to make some new shoes...... OK only peg sole construction..... I might be able to figure that out.......

hummmmm.... has anyone else attemped such a thing....?