Striped Stockings?

Pynch

I'm beginning to *attempt* to update my garb from the velvet tights, thighboots and leather doublet I used to wear and add a few new pieces here and there and I have a question about those stripey stockings that are now popping up all over due to the impending Halloween celebrations.

I like them, but I don't want to run about looking as if I've escaped from a badly drawn fairy fantasy and I was wondering how many of you incorporate the *stripes* into your wardrobe and if they are indeed authentic.

My thanks in advance!

"Show me a man with a tattoo, and I'll show you a man with an interesting past." ~Jack London

Life is a Circus, and I am the Human Cannonball.

I've seen pictures of god i forget who it was but she's in a guild and she wore red ones... i dont wear them but then again i wear black leggings under me dress. Not period i know but i hat dresses!

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

We had quite a long discussion about striped stockings on my pirate mail list. The verdict was, as I recall - no, they are not accurate. There's not really much evidence to support their use/existence during the "Golden Age of Piracy."

Also, fwiw, the mass produced re-enactor stockings available today are constructed differently than those of the 300 years ago. I'd tell you more, but I'm just a simple pirate... with a friend who is really keen on period stockings.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Many thanks...

Rue, I'm with you. I like the look. Blackjohn, many thanks...I was pretty sure they were not period, but plenty of things that aren't quite accurate still "work" in the grand scheme of things. Since I'm putting garb together for MDRF rather than working the Kalmar Nykel, I guess I'll toss them in.

My final *ansa* is to use my *stripys* for faire (along with the faboo leather corset that just arrived) but forgo them if'n I ever make it to an actual re-enactment.

"Show me a man with a tattoo, and I'll show you a man with an interesting past." ~Jack London

Life is a Circus, and I am the Human Cannonball.