Really interesting UK group of Pirates/Smugglers

I was browsing through the ol links and was checking out this site. The group is from the UK and has pretty high standards... I think they have a really neat display....

http://www.ches.me.uk/18th_century_maritime.htm

(was not sure where to post this so here it be)

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

That's a great site, thanks. I think we tend to get a bit caught up in the sea battle/caribbean piracy/movie hype of our obsession. I'd like to know more about the smuggling side of the trade. It's kind of ignored in this country, but more common in English History. Smuggling between the continent and England was easy for anyone with a small sailboat.

These guys look really good. Must contact them for more of their sources.

Hawkyns

:D

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Aye, I've seen their site before and like what they do. Well at least they don't have ta swelter in high tempetures like the west coast does here in the states. So their costuming would be more appreciated.

And on the real pluse side, they don't have to fake their accents either! :D

Rumba Rue

**I jest love a man with an English accent!** :D

• 2 weeks later...

HI all,

I very often work with CHES at events and they are indeed a superb group. CHES and Bonaventure regularly portray crew of HMS Antelope together, and we have a lot of fun being smugglers from time to time as well.

With regards to their kit (and indeed ours) the system is very simple. We do the research, check what's right, and if it ain't right we don't use it, no ifs, no buts.

On their website you can see the pictures of a smuggling encampment. The day that was taken was the hottest day on record in the UK, and we were in the hottest part of the country. 2 degrees above blood temperature. I don't know how that compares with your weather, but we were lucky: we were camped in the trees, wearing light cotton baggy sailor's gear, the vikings and romans were out in a field with no shade and all their armour...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

You guys rock. I'm moving to England just so I can join up with you.

As for temperatures, I've done more than my fair share of events in 100°+ weather with 90%+ humidity. I used to do RevWar, and every year we we do a parade in full kit as part of the celebrations surrounding the Chestertown Tea Party. At 103° the tar in the road was sticking to my shoes. Now that's fun!!!

Blackjohn - the guy who likes death-march events

:)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Yes that was Colchester last year.

Some Highwaymen you turned out to be, getting ambushed by a bunch of smugglers...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

In that case can I interest you in attending the South West Pirate Festival 2005? Early May Bank Holiday, Morwellham Quay, Devon.

More the merrier.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Make sure you check in at the forum for Pirate Crew under the European section!

Alas... when I lived in the UK there was not much organized pirate re-enacting... now I am in Germany and trying to find some here!

GOF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!