How to tell the difference Cotton>Silk

I found a stash of Old curtains at an Antique flea market last weekend and was wondering how I could figure out wether they were silk or cotton.

I know they burn differently than synthetic but anyone got an idea how to tell the two organic materials apart?

Thanks

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Well I'm certianly no expert, but me thinks by the way they feel would tell you. Also, are they lined? If so, I would think they would be silk.

Silk comes in a variety of textures these days. But if they are antique, I would imagine they might have a 'nubby' texture to them, or be sort of 'rough' to the feel. But again, I'm no expert.

*Embarrassing moment: The one time I go to the San Diego Star Wars Society meeting, and Capt. Grey calls me over to look at some material a guy brought in to make a costume with. To me it felt and looked like a polyester blend. I was indignatly corrected that it was silk. I sure felt stupid! :D

Rumba Rue

**I can screw up anything, just give me a chance** :D

I've never tried it, but supposedly burning silk smells like burning hair and burning cotton smells like burning plant fiber.

Take a few yarns twisted together and burn using a candle. Observe the behavior of the yarns as they approach the flame, while stationary in the flame, and withdrawing from the flame.

Cotton approaching should ignite at first contact. While stationary it will burn rapidly and withdrawing from the flame it should smolder, glow, or smoke. They odor (that Master Blackjohn spoke of) should be like burning paper or leaves and the ash should be very little and soft gray.

Silk should draw away from the flame when approaching it, melt or burn while stationary, and self-extinguish when withdrawn from the flame. The odor should be of burned feathers of hair (Master Blackjohn, again) and the ash should be crushable, black, and brittle.

Hope this helps mate!

Cheers,

Broadside, his mark ;)

Every normal person must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats! - Lucanus

Thanks to you both!

Doing the test I believe them to be Cotton velvet.

I have a growing collection now of materials to be made into things...

Any idea when cotton velvet came into fashion (or should I say is it appropriate for 1690-1720)?

G of F

Never Mind... I googled it and found out that the first cotton mill was built in 1736

Cotton first used for velevet....

1756 Cotton velvet is first woven in Bolton, Lancashire, England.

Soooo.....

Back to the drawing board

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!