Starting a Pirate Reenacting group?

Firethorn

I'm sending this out to those who have themselves a fine crew of pirates and asking how might one go about starting their own local group, I have a few idea's but thought I would check in with some experts. B)

Thanks a heep! ...and the rums on me! :blink:

wil22.gif

Don't do it - run fast!

Seriously, don't let it be a democracy... they eventually get mired in politics and there's a split over some stupid issue or another. I know of many groups that have succumbed to this, including one I was part of and two I started.

Find people who want to commit to the craft - not the machinery of business. If they like meetings more than they like performing or educating, either don't let them in or kick them out. The whole point of doing is it is to have fun and build friendships - not create a dynasty or a fiefdom.

Get a web site so you can exchange information and market - you wouldn't believe the number of leads your get. Have something different to offer a festival or faire. Don't do what everyone else is doing. Be unique as a group, stand out, guard your reputation at all times and make sure everyone you come into contact with while in costume has a positive experience. Negative ones will sink you.

That's it from my perch. I have lots more - it's just late...

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

First thing ye need to do is figure out what kind of crew you're going to be. Singing group, street theatre, party crew, or living history re-enactment are the major types, but there are others and there is some crossover. Which one you pick will determine the type of people you attract. No point in getting a bunch of hard core re-enactors if you want to do street theatre, or a bunch of growlers and croakers for a singing crew.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

My crew and I operate within the SCA. We do a little singing, partying, and rapier-style fighting, among other things... Kind of a Pyrattical melting-pot, if'n ya catch my drift.

:ph34r:

But for a word of advice... Don't let yer crew become mired in politics... There's enouh politics in the other organizations and groups we associate with.

:huh:

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

I be trying to do the same i have some ideas but no people sad? yes perhaps 19 is too young to be trying to create something of my own :blink: especially in a place where everyone looks down on me for what i see as fun.

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

Firethorn,

Figure out just how many "gigs" you and your group want to do - figure up the travel time, expenses, etc and be able to present a ball park estimate of time, commitment and out-of-pocket expenses each person will be responsible for. For example, if your group is landlocked like mine is - will you be able to attend a tall ships gathering or even a gathering like PiP?

If you are the one starting this venture - you need to sit down and figure up basic expected rules of conduct, costuming, etc. I failed to do this when I first started my group, making the fatal mistake of thinking we were all a group of adults and would allow common sense to dictate. How wrong I was in the end! Just because you deal with adults doesn't mean the group will never have problems.

As Hawkyns said - figure out what you want to do and what you want your group to be. Once you have figured that out, being by posting advertisments for applications and auditions; I strongly urge anyone who is going to do any kind of improv acting to hold auditions so that you get a feel for the prospective person and they for you.

Will you list this group as a Non-Profit or will you (or someone else) be footing the bill for gear, kit and props? What kind of tax submission information will you need? Will you be using a CPA to keep reciepts and such straight or do the book keeping yourself?

I agree with Hurricane (again speaking from personal, hard won experience) - do not allow it to become a democracy. Someone is the boss and that person's word is the law. Opinions and input are always great but, let them know from the get-go that if they do not work the good of the entire group - they probably won't be implemented.

And as Hurricane stated, if the prospective people do not seem committed to the course, fire 'em! They will only bring the entire group down and cause a rift. Things of this nature demand 100% commitment or else they do not work. It is just that simple. If you have songs or lines that must be memorized and rehearsed, you need people who are willing to be there for those rehearsals - not people that just show up in garb at the performance and expect to be at their best.

I commend you in your endeavors and if I can be of assistance, do not hesitate to contact me, I will do all I can to assist you.

Best of luck and good fortunes find ya

With Respects,

Captain Emerald Shaunassey

Creator, Owner and Manger of "The Ladies of the Salty Kiss"

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

Firethorn,

Figure out just how many "gigs" you and your group want to do - figure up the travel time, expenses, etc and be able to present a ball park estimate of time, commitment and out-of-pocket expenses each person will be responsible for. For example, if your group is landlocked like mine is - will you be able to attend a tall ships gathering or even a gathering like PiP?

If you are the one starting this venture - you need to sit down and figure up basic expected rules of conduct, costuming, etc. I failed to do this when I first started my group, making the fatal mistake of thinking we were all a group of adults and would allow common sense to dictate. How wrong I was in the end! Just because you deal with adults doesn't mean the group will never have problems.

As Hawkyns said - figure out what you want to do and what you want your group to be. Once you have figured that out, being by posting advertisments for applications and auditions; I strongly urge anyone who is going to do any kind of improv acting to hold auditions so that you get a feel for the prospective person and they for you.

Will you list this group as a Non-Profit or will you (or someone else) be footing the bill for gear, kit and props? What kind of tax submission information will you need? Will you be using a CPA to keep reciepts and such straight or do the book keeping yourself?

I agree with Hurricane (again speaking from personal, hard won experience) - do not allow it to become a democracy. Someone is the boss and that person's word is the law. Opinions and input are always great but, let them know from the get-go that if they do not work the good of the entire group - they probably won't be implemented.

And as Hurricane stated, if the prospective people do not seem committed to the course, fire 'em! They will only bring the entire group down and cause a rift. Things of this nature demand 100% commitment or else they do not work. It is just that simple. If you have songs or lines that must be memorized and rehearsed, you need people who are willing to be there for those rehearsals - not people that just show up in garb at the performance and expect to be at their best.

Most importantly, remember that the rewards far out weigh the issues and work that goes into a group effort such as this.

I commend you in your endeavors and if I can be of assistance, do not hesitate to contact me, I will do all I can to assist you.

Best of luck and good fortunes find ya

With Respects,

Captain Emerald Shaunassey

Creator, Owner and Manger of "The Ladies of the Salty Kiss"

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

One other thing. Unless you're going for strict re-enactment, you can create your own events. We go out with as few as two or three of us - unannounced - to local pubs, non-pirate festivals - whatever we want to do. Then we create the event out of that. Also, visits to retirement homes, hospitals... whatever good reason to get the crewe together and have a little fun. It's important early on to create a cohesive group that enjoys going out. And it's important to go out so it gets in their blood. So plan to do things and then build the crewe from there. And actually, you'll find many out at these appearances who will be interested in joining your ranks. I think half our crewe came that way...

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

aye i agree with hurricane i actually found someone who would join a group i started but i'm pretty sure he was only foolin.... to quote him "If you were my wench love i'd join the crew"

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff