Fellow pirates, be warned

Charity

Back in the 90s when Paramount was launching it’s own line of Star Trek websites, they did just that sort of thing. In an attempt to maintain control over it's property, harassment and threats of court action was taken against anyone and everyone from ISPs to owners of similar and even dissimilar domain names to fan websites, killing their own fan base.

I think we will have to see if Disney goes overboard and does the same thing.

Disney has hired former Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher Johnson as a VP in its legal and antipiracy departments.

Much ado about nothing.

Johnson will report to legal and antipiracy VP Mary Fossier.

Nice job....keep up the good work. :P

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

This is about people who are putting films on the internet for download, not about using PotC pictures on your web site.

When a film is put on DVD/VHS, everyone involved gets a portion of the money spent to buy a copy of the video. When these films are put on the internet, these creative, hard-working people are literally robbed of their money.

As much as I like pirates, video piracy is just plain wrong. :P

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

This will be very hard to do, as now the technology of phones that take pictures, small video cameras and such can be hidden well in ones clothing.

What are they going to do? Pat down every patron that enters the theater? Take away their cell phones?

Good luck, as I am rather a pro at switching theaters to see other movies. Ooops, gave away a trade secret! :P

Rumba Rue

** :P **

Don't get me wrong. Creative people should be rewarded for their efforts. I am not one to cheat a worthy artist. But that little blip in Variety was just blowing smoke. This guy will be an assistant VP and reports to a VP who has been struggling with piracy for quite awhile and still hasn't succeeded in leading the forefront on controlling it.

They should be knocking on the biggest pirate's door...Hello, Bill Gates?

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Hummm.... maybe I read the article wrong..... arn't they just going after vidio (and CD) pirates.... not web sites....

I know Disney is very protective of thier copyrights.... so if you are selling or renting POTC stuff you might have to worry..... but fan stuff should be safe (fair use under copyright law) (but don't quote me on that I ain't a lawyer....)

I use to play Klingon (and a pyrate crew at that...) so when the storys were going aroung that Paramont was shutting down fan sites there was some concerns...... (still don't know if it realy happened...... could just be urban myth)

Anyway..... I never could see what was wrong with someone (or a group) telling other people how cool a movie was..... (fan sites etc...)

And it's not that I've never downloaded ...." something".... but if it was good, I would buy the CD..... if it sucked.... "delete"

Artist and the people who create ... should be paid for thier efforts.... "samples" are a from of advertising.... thieft is not.....

This really isn't anything new. As a big race fan, many years ago I started a newsletter for my friends around the country and the use of the acronymn NASCAR was a bit too much for those dudes in Daytona. Though there were only 50 or so of us, we were given a "cease and dissist" order for using that term.

There are many stories about small people using a copyrighted name, even if that name might just happen to be their own. Disney is only trying to protect their own interest.

This really isn't anything new. As a big race fan, many years ago I started a newsletter for my friends around the country and the use of the acronymn NASCAR was a bit too much for those dudes in Daytona. Though there were only 50 or so of us, we were given a "cease and dissist" order for using that term.

It just seams that when "thier" lawyer s find that stuff..... they should take a bit of time and figure if.....

1..... are they trying to make money off of us.

2..... does this "hurt" us....

or 3..... hey.... its someone that is trying to promote us.........

number 1 and 2 ..... the lawyers should go after....... but someone promoting an endevor...... Hey they are the ones who pay your bills......

not being a lawyer.... maybe I'm missing something here......

This is about people who are putting films on the internet for download, not about using PotC pictures on your web site.

As much as I like pirates, video piracy is just plain wrong:lol:

I work in CD and DVD duplication, and (ironically) anti-piracy is a big part of my job. :lol:

Going back to my earliest days in videotape duplication (1984) I learned that, no matter what, you don't mess with Disney copyright. Ever. No matter who asks you to make copies. They will find you. They will sue you. And they will win.

It is now virtually impossible to get pirated CDs and DVDs made with a commerical duplication house. However, the Internet is a whole new ballgame. Sure, we've seen some folks going overboard "protecting" intellectual properties. I hardly think that those pirated films on the Internet are "hurting" Disney. But, believe me, I wouldn't dare download one!! And anyone uploading them does so at their own risk! Not worth it, I'd say.

Red Bess,

All those soldiers and contractors going to Iraq are coming back with more than memories. There is no law and order in Iraq so I will let your imagination tell you.

You say you need a commercial duplication house in order to create a pirated DVD. Well, they must have a lot of them in China, the Pirated DVD capital of the world. Or you could just use a really small camera to record the movie in the theater. That is what most of these pirated DVDs are.

I can afford to pay the price of an authentic DVD, so I do. I want to reward and encourage the artist and I want good quality. I hope any reasonable person would do that.

~Black Hearted Pearl

I use to play Klingon (and a pyrate crew at that...) so when the storys were going aroung that Paramont was shutting down fan sites there was some concerns...... (still don't know if it realy happened...... could just be urban myth)

Anyway..... I never could see what was wrong with someone (or a group) telling other people how cool a movie was..... (fan sites etc...)

Aye, laddie. Paramount be the biggest crop o'fan-haters I ever did see. They be killin' the golden goose in my eye. They even went after Eugene Roddenberry (Gene's son) when he started his prop replica business. Idiots.

Now LucasFilm, on the other hand, be right encouragin' o'their fans. They even be askin' fan groups around the nation (mostly Stormtroopers) to help promote the Official Star Wars Trilogy on DVD which starts selling on Tuesday (9/21). All ye that bought those e-Bay copies were contributin' t'the piracy problem cuz they weren't approved by the company. But then very few people knew that.

And yes, Pearl, China be the port for video pirates - they be the worst offenders. Since many films still be processed in a lab, copies of negatives can also be made for pirated DVDs.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

bunch of selfish pirates! oh wait.... um hmmmm i guess in light of the recent piracy epidemic in both film and music its good to keep a hold of the things you've made but at the same time i hope they dont take it to an all time low...

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff