Help for a budding writer

okay so heres the deal:

I've been reading anything I could get my hands on since I was old enough, and writing for just about as long. I've been told by many people I'm rather good at it and I would love to become a publish writer some day. My problem is mechanics, which any normal writer already has ingrained in their mind. Unfortunately it was discovered when I was already an adult that I suffer from both ADD and mild dyslexia, making the learning process for me a bit harder, as concepts that come easier to others don't as much to me. My college told me that I should just shell out more money for these remedial english classes, which I can neither afford nor fit into my schedule that already includes bother fulltime work and full time school.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I might be able to do, such as home tutorials or similar things?

Please Help,

Marona

Do you have anyone in your classes that are good and want to help. You might pay a smaller tutor fee if need be. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Rotten, evil, no-good plotting, spoon-fed, going-to-hell-in-a-handbasket lass!

Always trying to bury that little devil on my shoulder and go to the angelic side -

even if just for a moment - choking down whatever evil scheme I was plotting!!!!

PirateFlag_sig.gif

A Fine Crew Indeed

My Webpage-----Pyrate Invasion at PARF-2004-----MDRF 2004 Opening Day

First thing I can think of is getting The Chicago Maunal of Style, It's a manual for writing that the standard for anyone writing for academic publication. It gives all the stadard guidles for grammer etc. It's good thing to have around. I have a really good book on creative writing packed away I think it's just called creative writing but I haven't seen it in over a year.

You might want to look at University online courses too.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Don't forget the internet.

I'm sure there are hundreds of sites that give tips to aspiring writers. ADD and dyslexia have nothing to do with your talent; if you want to write, you will. It's an obsession and you can't stop.

Trust me, I know. :ph34r:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I want to be published as well..I have recently started writing for Pan Historia and I love it. It's free and i think it helps my writing. Check into it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

I remembered! It's On Writing Well by William Zinsser. He's really good on explaining things in a clear, consise manner. Also his book Writing to Learn. Another good one is Elements of Style by William Strunk & E.B. White (of Sturat Little fame). Another consise, easy to read but, very helpful book on writing in English.

There must be students who are English majors who would tutor you for very little money. Why not post something on a college bulletin board saying what you need and how much you can afford?

Good luck and don't give up!

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Thanks guys!!

I'll be looking into the books (and the internet^_^) ASAP. Siren--I took a quick look at that site..seems right up my alley. I used to say I wanted to be the next tolkien, now I say I want to be the first Christin...err, Marona^_~. And don't worry, I might not have much time to dedicate to it now but I'll NEVER give up! :P

Thanks for all your kind words!

LOL I drive my writing partners crazy..I love to write..And I even got an award with one of my partners..it was the first time I ever won anything about me writing..Aye I hope you join. There are lot of people there who will help you..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

To truely be a good writer, just write. The creative and nontechnical aspects of your writing are the most important points to remember. Any anal person can write in perfect grammer just by memorizing rules. Full characterization and the ability to tell a moving narrative are the bedrock of all fictional writing. If you need help in story building study the classics such as Tolkein, Shakesphere and Asimov. Rules are for the publisher. Send the pub some of your writng we'll be glad to read it and give you an honest opinion. I'll be happy to read anything you have. So write and write some more. Build great Stories and the rest will easily fall into place.

To The End Of Thee World or Wherever We Happen To Spin Off

I'm off to see the elixir.

The wonderful elixir of ours.

yeah, thats sounds like an Idea for me. I thinkI'll turn my persona bio into a short story and yall can tell me what ya think. I've never written anything even semi-historical so this should be fun:-)

Can't wait to read it! I am sure it will be great!

:P

Rotten, evil, no-good plotting, spoon-fed, going-to-hell-in-a-handbasket lass!

Always trying to bury that little devil on my shoulder and go to the angelic side -

even if just for a moment - choking down whatever evil scheme I was plotting!!!!

PirateFlag_sig.gif

A Fine Crew Indeed

My Webpage-----Pyrate Invasion at PARF-2004-----MDRF 2004 Opening Day

Aye m'lass all the mentioned books and online services be very fine advice.

As far as helping with your dyslexia, where do you go to college?

Is it in an area that maybe you can find a local service of some sort that helps people, since your college won't?

You'll make it though.

We believe in ya!! :P

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

Many college's have writing centers, and often the help is free. also i have always been told that to help with writing keep a journal and write in it daily, even if you write about having nothing to write about. i agree with Olaf, leave the details to a publisher, you just worry about writing.

"Time Flies When Your Having RUM!!!!"

"But everyone talks with a British accent when they drink."

Stow Away on the Juryrig

Olaf is right on. I've been a writer for 20 years now, and my writing is more likely to break many of the traditional rules than adhere to them. Write as much as you can. If you want some guidance let Word run the grammar and readability check for you... But don't get bogged down in how others label you. I've been Dyslexic all my life - it's not something you ever get over or are cured of, you only learn to deal with the learning disability by using alternative methods to learn. Memory and visualization exercises help, but I can still read faster upside down and backwards than forwards. You obviously have me beat in that area... and yet I've managed to get paid very well to write. It's all in your head... learn the craft of storytelling. Focus more on this lost craft to bring your writing to life and the rules be damned...

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

hey guys!!

Sorry I dissapeared for so long, but I was on vacation back home in colorado and didn't have access to a computer. Thanks again for all the help, and believe it or not I'm inadvertently getting help with my writing from my yoga philosophy professor who used to be an english professor! We do journal enteries ever week and shes letting me know where my weak points are in my mechanics. Unfortunately I think I bit off more than I can chew with the fulltimeschool/full time work thing, and haven't gotten very far on any of my writing, either the short story or the worldbuilding for the book I wanna write. I told olaf that hopefully I'll have something next week since I'm camping this weekend and should have some writing time.

• 2 weeks later...

As for the mild dislexia, write in a different color ink and use a different color font such as orange, red or green. It really does help. Also when considering you attention get a small tape recorder to put your thoughts down on. I have one friend that uses Naturally Speaking Dragon for all of her writing. It takes time and patience but can work great! Hope this helps.