Be it any longer possible...

Mark Leser

Please friends, 'scuse this topic if ye see it as a dark light.

As most of ye know, centuries ago the world was different: across Europe was a land no one knew too much about. Places on the other side of the globe had only started to be colonized. The only real means of travel to the new world were by boat. This led to the golden age of piracy as the mother country tried to keep in touch with her colonies.

But this is something ye already knew.

Then came the trains, the cars, the planes, and the just newly discovered space travel. Along side that, we can talk to people halfway across the world in seconds. I can turn on my TV and find out if there's a fashion show in Paris (or something else like that) - hell, I could be there within a day. With this new age of technology, many things have been swept aside: most of the countries of the world have lost their own cultures, beliefs, and even religions. The japanese learned this very quickly when we stormed into Tokyo bay - they were still following samurai codes at the time. Now there's nothing that will stop them from going back. The same happened with the whole of Europe. At one point almost every country in Europe had a different Religion - the Scandinavians with their Norse gods, the English and Celtics with their Celtic gods, Greece, Gaul, Rome, Prussia, and any other country you can think of. Like I said though, this new world has brought us much closer and any old religion is now just folktale and nothing more.

This new world has not already swept away the unique-ness of countries, but professions and jobs too: one of them was being a pirate, and here's where the point of this resides. Many people have seen the movie Pirates of The Carribean and know that there are no more pirates today - even if one wanted to go out and live like a pirate, the closest they could get would be hired by Disney or work at a fair. Sure some could have their costumes on and work at fairs and gain money - but it's still a far life from boarding other ships and taking plunder. No more pirates exist, the "Pirate's Life" has vanished beneath the waves as iron-clad warships have taken over. And what has caused the change? Technology.

Is there any way to still live as a pirate, in a wooden ship with flintlock pistol and cutlass at side? Surely many have said it's a long dead profession, but what do ye think?

Is there any way to still live as a pirate, in a wooden ship with flintlock pistol and cutlass at side? Surely many have said it's a long dead profession, but what do ye think?

No, not really. You can live on a wooden ship. You can live with a flintlock and cutlass at your side. You can even live as a pirate. But to do all of the above in combination is virtually impossible.

Today you can live as a pirate, but its with an AK, a machete, and a rubber raft.

Blackjohn

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I knew that was the only answer in the end.

Just like in the Last lines of "Long John Silver"

Ah! the pig-tailed, quidding pirates

and the pretty pranks we played,

All have since been put a stop to

by the naughty Board of Trade;

The schooners and their merry

crews are laid away to rest,

A little south the sunset in

the Island of the blest.

I knew that was the only answer in the end.

There ARE other answers, however impractical or improbable...

Just because we know of no one doing it, doesn't mean that there isn't. Granted, a flintlock and cutlass are a poor substitute for an AK, but think outside the box...

You mentioned entertainment, aka Disney and Faires. What if someone were to discover a niche profession such as,

"Professional Pyrate for Hire-

I can be hired to board your cruiser in the midst of your party. Be the talk of the town! I use only authentic weaponry, dress, and mannerisms. Sure to be a hit!"

Could you imagine a job or career like that in, say, the Bahamas? Might go over well with the tourist trade. Then you could truly say that you make a good living as a pyrate. :lol:

Or, you could always sell used cars or aluminum siding... :)

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

Sure some could have their costumes on and work at fairs and gain money - but it's still a far life from boarding other ships and taking plunder. No more pirates exist.

True you could do it tho.., youd work hard for a bit ., get a little travel money., get outfitted., try to steal a ship ., then go to jail..., youd last about 10 seconds.

Calico Jack didnt last long either., niether did Kidd., or Blackbeard or most. There is a very fine line between pirate and privateer. That line was defined by which side you were on.

Take Captain Morgans adventures against Spain., total Pirate and recognised as a privateer and rewarded as Jamaicas govenor by England for his couragious acts.., and the smart commander he was he bought lands in Jamaica., he bought brothels and other business's. He was probably the most successful of all. He didnt however take anything he wanted (English ship-He left those alone) setting an example of a thinking Pirate. However all of these pirates had one thing in common., they all used what was modern technology to them in their time.., they took advantage of what they could get.

Here's a twist., What if you could build a beach property line it with a Marina., and a sea wall across the beach length and put Naval trundles on the wall., a personal garrison between your house and Bar., keeping your ship in your marina?., not a Tall ship (that would require several more years work to afford with all youve already spent) A ship however never the less ( 52 ft is a ship) Dress in Piratical clothing daily., As well as the two wenches in your Bar/Resaurant/and 4 room hotel Dressed the part as well...,use your ship for dive safaris ( 4 day live aboard cruises). And cruise where ever you wanted in a 7107 island coconut filled tropical enviroment.,moored at white sandy beaches and coral reefs., teaching foriegnors to dive thru PADI for money....,

Gotta earn a livin' without going to jail...., So ! collect for your hotel rooms.., collect for your bar., marina., diving instruction., foods ., all the while prooviding a Pirate enviroment (Wenches Cannons Anchors Ship., Treasure (Bar Prop) and much more., chests at the foot of each bed in each room., which are decorated in a 1720's motif with an early spanish fort settlement look about the place? What say you to that? A pirate King!!

As well as shipping your weaponry overseas ., cannons as well all to get this final layout complete? Thats right Shipping major guns internationally for yourself!! Would that be living sort of a pirate life for ya?..., and yea decked in yer best " Stolen " Govenors frock., cutlass and flintlock...., commanding your 2 gun crews to touch off the cannons at your command during festivals at the resort? ( festivals i.e. New Years/ Independance day/ The San Jose Patron saint day (towns festival) / weddings and birthdays) ;)

Its as close as I can get. I am working on it. Its coming ahead of schedule.

Use your imagination..., (bust your #*lls and save yer treasure) and your piratical dreams will come true too ., if you are highly motivated and focused. :lol:

Yes There is The Royaliste ! Ther is The Hawaiin Cheiftain., and there are a host of other piratical adventurers doing there lives dedicated to having fun in a piratical lifestyle and bring the enjoyment of it to those who which to participate..How about Gasparilla?., and most of all the dedicated crews (groups of loyal followers that make it their life too to enjoy which supports these endeavors).

Todays Pirates are just alot smarter., They enjoy their Piratical life much longer they dont like Jail or Hanging.., Kicking out a Keg., ;) Cheers To all those out there living under the Black Flag This drink is on me. ;)

:lol: HarborMaster ;)

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Personally i like the idea...Boarding ships in pirate garb..running a ship for dives and having a place to celebrate B-Days and Weddings..Something wonderful..Like my dream Island with resort and a pyrate festival year round..with ships that offer cruises and such..Aye tis a fine dream...

As for the wench..Im looking for a job...Can start today. :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

fergive the romanticism, but in most poems an such ye read about the sea, piracy has been viewed as a sort o' freedom, an' the fact that pirates in the golden age were free men livin' under their own democracy makes this romanticism a smidgeon true. So, says I, escape from this lackluster modern life. Be free o' it. The dive ship is a good idea, cos ye could take people wi' ye. Or, become captain o' a sailtrainin' vessel an' teach the trainees ta be pirates. Thataways, ye'd be ensurin' the sweet OLD FASHIONED trade a future. A farfetched idea ta be sure, but hey, one can always dream...