Rant of the day.......

Ok....

I'm always going to these "pirate" events and everyone when I get there is singing the "yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" song. What's the deal with that? The song is from the 1920's! Aren't we suppose to be doing golden age of pirace? We're talking 200 years before the song was written! I'm sorry....but this just licks the chocolate off my candy.....

This wasn't written to offend anyone, it's just something that's been on my mind for a bit........

Cheers,

AC

Aye, 'tis true that it's not period. But it be a mite earlier in vintage than the 1920s... Treasure Island was written in 1883, and the song appears on the first page. The "long version" with several verses appeared in 1901 in a stage musical.

"I remember him as if it were yesterday, as he came plodding to the inn door, his sea-chest following behind him in a handbarrow; a tall, strong, heavy, nut-brown man; his tarry pigtail falling over the shoulders of his soiled blue coat; his hands ragged and scarred, with black, broken nails; and the sabre cut across one cheek, a dirty, livid white. * I remember him looking round the cove and whistling to himself as he did so, and then breaking out in that old sea-song that he sang so often afterwards:-

`Fifteen men on the dead man's chest-

Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!'

in the high, old tottering voice that seemed to have been tuned and broken at the capstan bars. Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard."

That bein' said, yer correct it's not period... at least not "golden age." I've been trying to find golden age songs... but there's not a lot of success. It seems most of the sea chanties still extant are of the Napoleonic wars and later.

• 5 weeks later...

its all in the spirit of fun good sir

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

Yarr, I know what ye mean. Not only is it not really a Golden Age of Piracy's greatest hits, it can be downright annoyin' ;)

No landlubber remembers anything beyond the first lines. It is sorta like Yankees tryin to sing "Oh Canada" at the opening of a hockey game. :D

But it be part of our popular culture, just as much as how on Talk Like a Pirate Day most of us sound like we're Wallace Beery on a three day bender. OI KNOWS OI DO, ME BUCKO

NOW, thanks to a certain fillum, we 'll all be hearin Yo Ho, a Pirates Life For Me, the very definition of anachronism. :D

Ye wanna change th' genrl populashun, then teach em' some more or less authentic ones. Or lighten up all the way and throw on a Flogging Molly, or Capt Boggs an' Salty CD. :D;);)

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!

once again me thinks ye need to lighten up let landlovers have there day and enjoy at your leasure

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

From the mouth of babes, the lad's site tells all:

Sail, HO!!

Welcome to the homepage of "The Fish-Broth Society." Previously we were known as "His Majesty's Provincial Navy," but have decided to change our name to something more generic.

There be spies among us from the King's Navy running under a different flag. Draw your weapons lads and lasses and prepare to board this rogue's ship to protect us all from the tyranny of life aboard a ship of the king.

Prepare for boarding and gut them all!!!

The Captain

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Th' big difference I see with most pirates, is they're innit fer the fun.

Ifn ye want authenticity, the Civil War may be the place ta be.

Over the years I' ve met more than my share of reenactors, and some of the pickiest were Civil War buffs. No zippers, no cotton uniforms, no coolers, period eyeware only, the list can go on and on fer the "Hardcores."

I knew a Japanese-American who was once refused membership in one CW group, because no Asians ever served in that Regiment durin the Late Unpleasantness between the states.

The draw fer me is the Anarchy of the sweet trade. The only real requirement fer most of us is th' desire fer fun and what th old Bilgemunky calls Piratitude.

Still that tune can get stuck in yer head..... :ph34r:

Lets crack open anothe bottle of Rum and have a drink or three. Cheers, Mate! :ph34r:

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!