My Story

Zabeth Kidd

:rolleyes: Ok, I'm writin a story about five teens that find a necklace in a cave which contains three old pirate ships. It sends them to a deserted island in the early 18th century where they see the three pirate ships being careened. They go onboard and become cabinboys/girls. (two boys and three girls) There is another pirate crew that act as their rivals. That's about all I have for the plot right now. Any feedback and/or ideas? :ph34r:

:rolleyes: Ok, I'm writin a story about five teens that find a necklace in a cave which contains three old pirate ships. It sends them to a deserted island in the early 18th century where they see the three pirate ships being careened. They go onboard and become cabinboys/girls. (two boys and three girls) There is another pirate crew that act as their rivals. That's about all I have for the plot right now. Any feedback and/or ideas? :ph34r:

With that 'rating', they'd best be rather hovenly :) but jokes aside, teenage were a good age for midshipmen or such, a wee bit old for cabin servants...

Sounds like the start of a great tale. Here's some things to keep in mind. They're on a pirate ship, so there isn't much rank. You would have the Captain, Quatermaster, Master gunner, Ship's carpenter and Ship's surgeon if you were lucky. The rest of the crew acted as a democracy and voted on different issues. The young girls will probably have to dress as boys to remain on the ships. A good job for the teens would be as "Powder Monkeys" , a term that refers to the kids that ran ammo and helped with the firing of the cannons and firarms. Hope this helps, Good luck.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

Yeah, the boy thing I was already incorperating. Actually, I start them out at an Independence Day party, so that their parents are weird, so they were in colonial clothes. One of the girls was already dressed like a boy, but the others were going to get boys' clothes soon after they go back in time. The "Powder Monkeys" thing sounds like a good idea. I could come up with little...happenings that each of the teens does. I have assigned each character an attitude:

Tyler: Gets everything wrong/always gets in trouble :blink:

Sam: Hates the pirates and tries to ruin everything :angry:

Danny (Daniella): Martial Artist :ph34r:

Zena: Smart One -_-

Rose: Has a crush on one of the pirate boys ;)

Might I suggest a bit of research. Actually a lot of research. Believe it or not take a look at the "Master and Commander" website. (It should still be up) and you will find some very good information about the age groups of those you are using in your story. Also you might try to find Charles Ellms "the Pirates Own Book" lots of interesting stories ...the first edition of it was written in 1837. (but current copies are still available) It is comprised of material gathered from a variety of sources. Which as the jacket states was Charles Johnson's "History of the Pirates (1724), newpaper accounts of the spanish pirates who terrorized the West Indies....published trials for piracy, journals of men who were captured by pirates. Yes it is embellished with some senstionalism/imagination but, the facts are mainly true and verifiable. That might inspire a bit.

also might I suggest "Pirates and Patriots of the Revolution - an Illustrated Encyclopedia of colonial Seamanship" by C. Keith Wilbur, M.D. It gives a quick reference point.

Of course "Under the Black Flag" is another good one.

In my experience the first thing one must do in order to write is to read. Read as much as you can on as many things that you can handle.

Even though my own writing is, at the moment on a writer's site, I do lots of research for my characters' timelines. And, of course, then at times another is to let the characters just tell you what to write. See a scene in your minds eye and then go ...ok here is what I want...what does it take to get there, (sort of do a roll/play back of the scene) and after you move forward again and arrive, allow it to lead to you to the next what if?

That is the best advice I have at the moment. Hope it is worth something to you...

smile.

Lady Cass

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

I agree with Lady Seahawk. Twain said,"Write what you know." I have taken some liberties on my own thread, "Finnegan's Wake"....But, it is really just a draft, not compleate by any means. I have a ranking system of sorts w/ my crew.....But, when linked w/ the history of my persona and that of the ship.....it makes more sense.(Rabble rousing.....Pyrate's Persona) Good luck to you. It takes time and patience to develope a tale....Never rush, it will show you where it needs to go.

Privateer & Commander of "Finnegan's Wake"

Faodaidh fearg sealltainn a strigh air cridh an duine ghlic, ach comhnaichdh i an amadain.

(Anger may look in on a wise man's heart, but it abides in the heart of a fool.)

Yeah, I know it takes time and patience, believe me! I started and re-started the first chapter...eh...20 times? That seems about accurate, and its not exaggerated. I do a lot of pirate research at a site called Brethren of the Coast, and a google a lot of other sites. Brethren of the Coast is the best I've found so far. I'll check out the Master and Commander site.

the web sites are a good place to start but, the real meat will be in a library. Especially if you can get to one that is hooked to a museum. I now live near a out of print and used book store. The owner and I have been become friends and she is always on the look out for items she thinks I would be interested in. Most often she is right about it. I keep dozens of books near my computer for quick reference material when I write. I also have my personal library for more in depth items.

don't forget the speciality mags... Speaking of which the new issues of "History Magazine" has a great article entitled "The 1710s: A Decade that Redrew the Map of the World." (including a small section on the death of Blackbeard...umm sorry BB smile) And another "Military Nurses - How the Nursing Profession was Born on the Battlefield".

also the "Renaissance" magazine has some really good articles this time around.

check out some of the archaeological websites....they give some great information on the times. and where the ships were sunk...what they had on them...the type of booty that could be gotten...weapons and the like.

If you want to get a bit of the true lingo of the times...check out a book entitled. "English and Scottish Popular Ballads" (Cambridge Edition) edited by Helen Child Sargent and George Lyman Kittredge

Or check a couple of the sailor ditties ...hummm there are a couple of good sites for that.

If you are interested I can give you a character draft sheet. Actually someone from another site put it up...and shared it with everyone.

It is really good if you have a character and need to prompts to fill out the character a bit. I kept it as a reference guide....when I want to add something more to my characters.

Ok, I do believe that is enough for now...smile.

let me know if I can be of any other help ...smile.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

In my experience the first thing one must do in order to write is to read. Read as much as you can on as many things that you can handle.

So true! And while pirate & sailing research is important, don't overlook getting in touch with some other books aimed at teens & pre-teens. Typically, young people want to read about characters about 2-3 years older than themselves. If your story is about 13-14 year olds, it will be of interest to 10-12 year old readers. Read some other adventure books aimed at this age group (which I am assuming is what you already do) to get a feel for the approach.

Your plot sounds wonderful. Draw on your own experience to keep your characters sounding like real teens. And I read good advice here once: someone said don't worry about historical accuracy as much as historical plausability. As a story about time-travel, you have already crossed into a sort of fantasy relm. So let your imagination drive the action, and you can always verify any details later. After all, there's a whole pub of "experts" you can ask anytime, day or night.

Good luck - keep at it!

The characters in my story are actually based on my friends (and myself) so they will act like my friends do. This gives my story great potential for a comedy :lol: And I am incorperating fantasy. I just recently decided that the "opposing" pirate captain knows about the necklace which sends people through time. He wants to use it to get rich...greedy b******! lol. Anyway, I just finished the first chapter...finally! I like the way its played out know. I still will be going back to it...which is good I guess :unsure: