My Frockcoat and Waistcoat

Rumba Rue

Well it took me MONTHS and MONTHS to finsh this coat. Please note, I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL COSTUMER!!

Also, don't expect "Period coat". This was made more for the costume contests that I tend to enter in here and there.

As soon as possible, I'll put the whole outfit on, and have some pictures ready to show, just as soon as I can pin down me companion to take them.

Frockcoat and Waistcoat

Rumba Rue

**My pride is in my work** :huh:

Wow that's gorgeous work.

I'm trying to learn georgian embroidery to add to my costumes, but have no idea if I'll ever have enough time to do something as lovely as that. Post more photos!!!

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

I appreciate all the great comments. I have to admit I was a bit shy about showing this off, as I know some here are 'strict-to-the-code' of historical accuracy and thought I would be... well not well recieved.

I've been asked if I would ever consider selling the coat- no, not at this time anyway. I'll consider it after I've entered it in the San Diego Fair next year.

Rumba Rue

**Smile and Let Your Spirit Soar** :lol:

You do great work, and I'm glad you took the time to share it with the rest of us! Historically accurate has its place, and knowing what is and isn't period is probably a good thing. That doesn't mean you *have* to stick to that, does it? :lol:

I'd love to see more of your work, too. I've been posting stuff about patterns and sewing in "patterns", and maybe I'll go as far as creating a Yahoo group for us pirate-type sewers to share info and photos.

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

I appreciate all the great comments. I have to admit I was a bit shy about showing this off, as I know some here are 'strict-to-the-code' of historical accuracy and thought I would be... well not well recieved.

Rumba Rue

**Smile and Let Your Spirit Soar** :lol:

Hey- I resemble that remark!! :lol:

Nah, it's great stuff, really well done! Everyone charts their own course. While it might not be somethin' I'd wear, I always have respect for a good craftsman and a well made piece.

I'd be careful, though. Show it around too much and you'll find yourself shackled to that sewing box with a pile of orders in the in-box.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Thank you Hawkins. Yes I've made costumes in the past for people, usually just bodices and skirts. Nowadays I just tell people to go buy stuff ready made, cuz the time and work involved costs more than ready made.

Akasha,

The coat is my first excursion into doing really, really difficult sewing. In fact I had a hell of time understanding the pattern. The use of interfacings drove me nuts! In fact the cuffs came out too poofy cuz I didn't understand the way the pattern called fo use of interfacings. Also, I didn't realize how tight the arms were going to be either. I don't do patterns well.

I've got material cut out for another frockcoat which will not be as fancy and more to what is expected. And trust me I have learned from my mistakes on the first one, which gives me more mistakes to make on the next. :lol:

Rumba Rue

** :lol: **

Arggh, 'tis a nice bit o' costume, dear. Good work.

I daresay, "that's frocking great!!!"

:huh:

And you say you're not a professional costumer....

Should look nice wit' yer belt. [Or was that a girdle?] :huh:

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Aye RumbaRue, that be a fine, fine set o'togs there. I tips me hat t'ye.

That be fine enough that even old Hook (with his red sombrero :huh: ) would wear it!

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

WOW!

I was gonna post my new coat that I made ....BUT........to ashamed now!

Very nice!!

BLACK SKOT ---(BLACKIE)

"Quarter" Master

Pyrates of the Coast

"Permit me aboard and I'll be takin' over yer ship...

Don't permit me aboard and I'll still take over yer ship"

My sister is a professional costumer (Shakespeare on Navy Pier in Chicago) and this frock coat that ye have made is as fine as any work I have seen coming out of that costume shop!

Well done! :)

Ye could wind up with a second job outa this.... :ph34r:

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

Thank you Hawkins. Yes I've made costumes in the past for people, usually just bodices and skirts. Nowadays I just tell people to go buy stuff ready made, cuz the time and work involved costs more than ready made.

Akasha,

The coat is my first excursion into doing really, really difficult sewing. In fact I had a hell of time understanding the pattern. The use of interfacings drove me nuts! In fact the cuffs came out too poofy cuz I didn't understand the way the pattern called fo use of interfacings. Also, I didn't realize how tight the arms were going to be either. I don't do patterns well.

The sewing gets easier as you go. . . The real problem is that you're probably trying to use modern patterns to build a historically-styled garment. Modern commercial pattern design just doesn't really seem to work with period construction techniques. What's helped me is studying photos and diagrams of how they were really built. For example, there are *no* commercial patterns available for Barbossa's coat from POTC, i.e. nothing with pleated skirts from earlier than 1750.

Before you embark on the next coat, buy, borrow, pilfer, plunder or steal a look at these two books:

The Cut of Men's Clothes 1600-1900 - Norah Waugh

Men's Seventeenth & Eighteenth Century Costume: Cut and Fashion - R. I. Davis

I also am loving this book right now, because of all the incredibly detailed photos:

Eighteenth Century Clothing at Williamsburg - Linda Baumgarten

Fitting a commercial pattern to yourself is the first big challenge. . . is anyone out there ever a perfect pattern size???. . . .learning how to draft your own patterns is the next step up. I'm in that learning curve this year since I'm trying to learn how to draft flat patterns using measurements, and drape directly on a form/person. Learning how stuff is supposed to fit from photos and drawings really helps you fit things . . . no more tight sleeves. :)

It does get better. Sometimes I think I haven't learned a damn thing, like yesterday when I spent all day redoing a band collar in a men's shirt by machine(had to yank it out 4 bloody times), and the resorted to spending 4 hours sewing it in by hand. Then I realize that once I got it in, I had added in a 19 1/2" collar ( the guy has a huge neck and can't wear commercial shirts) to a commercial pattern, and all my measurements worked. Now I've got a happy bride, with a totally reconstructed wedding dress that took me a week of 15 hour days, and a groom's shirt that he couldn't ever buy off the rack because of his size. Cool stuff.

I have yet to make any reasonable money on anything I have sewed for another person, especially corsets. However, every project I struggle through means I'm just getting better and faster for the next one. And most of the costuming stuff I spend so much time doing really can't be found ready-made. I guess that's why it's worth doing, right?

Okay, enough blahblahblah. I got 4 hours of sleep, so I hope at least some of this post is coherent and useful. :ph34r:

Happy Sewing!!!!!

-Jennifer

Wow That is awesome..I love it. I think you did a great job and I too love the beading..Any pirate would be honored to wear such garments. As for sewing...Grr..Im not good at all..I try hard though. My Grandmother could look at anything a dress in a window or a pattern she found and could go home and using old newspapers make a pattern..She never had to use a *What she calls a Doll Form* to make sure her patterns were right. To this day my Mom who is a good sewing person and I have yet to understand the magic she wielded in her needles. But anyone that tries to do something such as historical garments and make them come out like the Waistcoat and Jacket has twelve thumbs up...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Very nice Rue. I just finished one meself. I'll post another thread as I have several new plundered items as well.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg