By the scruff of Robert Newton!

Redd Oktober

Ahoy mates,

Ol' Redd has been clad in Red and Black fer far too long. And having once collapsed from the heat, I have decided to update me wardrobe. During a particularly heavy binge of Rum and Coconut Butter (ahem...don't ask...let's just say my tongue has been well moisturized), my wife suggested that I add to the list of "recognizable" pirate personalities in Tales of the Seven Seas' repetoire (along with Ace's splendid Jack Sparrow) by making a dual personality outfit that can quickly be changed into Long John Silver!

Since me favorite LJS be good old Robert Newton, I picked his attire ter be a strong inspiration. I've hand dyed and just about finished sewing up me waistcoat. It is a dead ringer fer this one:

treasureisland_3.jpg

Me mum...a crazy salt herself, was gracious enough ter let me trim some of her European oak trees around me parents' home and take a few boughs home with me, so I'll be whipping up a crutch soon.

I just thought I'd share, cuz I be gettin' excited.

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Pictures.

Post pictures when you can!! 

Will do, Bess.

Just found a better picture of what the whole gear will (I hope) be like. I don't intend ter match it 100%...but close enough be fyne and dandy, sez I.

treasureisland1.jpg

treasureisland.jpg

Yes, yes, I know he be wearin' a plain colored waistcoat beneath the red...but I just love the green. And there be precedent fer wearing it when Jim and Long John first come aboard the Hispaniola.

Oh, and if ye be wondering..no, I'm probably not going ter get a parrot. Would love one, but they require such care as I (unfortunately) cannot administer these days.

:rolleyes:

REDD.jpg

Arrr! Be finished with me Long John Silver waistcoat sez I. I used Period Patterns' waistcoat pattern. It's made of hand-dyed dropcloth canvas (which makes a great, rough, linen-like textured garment look...Home Depot $12). Buttons courtesy of our friends at Jas. Townsend.

LJS_Waistcoat.jpg

The slops are coming along nicely...pic's soon. Hope to have these two pieces done by July 4th. Then I'll move onto the crutch, coat, hat and shoe.

"OOoohhh! Fer ten toes!!"

REDD.jpg

Hmmmm.. fantastic idea, Redd! I truly do look forward seeing pictures of you adorning your LJS attire! & of course.. need a pic of you as LJS with the Sparrow person... make it a fantastic pic of 2 great Disney pirate personalities. :huh:

Looking forward to those pictures. :)

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Awww...well thank ye. By the by...if anyone kin rekeemend a place where I might be able ter score a period (or close to it) odd right shoe (size 12-12.5) please let me know. I know it be a tall order ter fill, but it never hurts ta try!

-Redd

REDD.jpg

UPDATE!

I just finished (literally) the slops. An' here they be! I tried both waistcoat and slops on with me normal pirate shirt and....*steam*

..woo I got hot. Period clothing (short of slops and topless..."ankles all the way" as Miss Swan would say) will always be hot, but me shirt is made of linen...perfect fer weathering the winds of winter on the San Francisco Bay...horrible for sitting in hot duldrums. So...off I go ter the fabric store ter buy some thin....THIN...muslin fer a shirt.

Here be the Slops.

Redslpops.jpg

They're so baggy they're almost like a skirt (meant to be on top of pants). But that's a good thing...gives me a place to tuck my leg into when I'm LJS.

Found the perfect hat, it's called a George Washington from Hatmakers. Can't wait. It's $81 but it'll be worth having that over the standard tricorn. It has that high set brim that Robert Newton wore.

REDD.jpg

Lookin' good!!

If I only had the time....money....and sewing ability!! :D

BLACK SKOT ---(BLACKIE)

"Quarter" Master

Pyrates of the Coast

"Permit me aboard and I'll be takin' over yer ship...

Don't permit me aboard and I'll still take over yer ship"

Lookin' good!!

If I only had the time....money....and sewing ability!! 

Only takes practice, matey...Only takes practice. I be havin' a lot o' proper trainin' by the likes o' me dear mum...and, o' course, me uncle who make a livin' as a tailor of extremely fyne Ren Fair ladies' garments. Been doin' it fer most o' me life, 'e has, an' I've learned a thing 'er two about it by watchin' 'im.

Well, I wore the new threads during our 4th of July fireworks show in Redwood City (check out the posts under RAIDS and the Tiburon Cafe under WAY TO A PYRATE'S HEART)...but I learned three things.

1. I'm definitely going ter need a coat. T'were cool enough in the blazin' sun o' Californee summer, but some nightfall I were envying Ace of Harbor Bay's "London Fog Rip Job". Sorry again fer lightin' yer lockes alight wit slow match mate. If it be any conserlation, I did the same ter me slops a bit (gives 'em character).

2. Me next step (while me pocket book recuperates a bit, as does me smoking sewin' machine) is ter age them garments a bit. Nuthin like smudgin' em up with powder, rum, and harbor scum (which is excatly what I did on the 4th)...but them stains can be shifted...tis time fer distressen and agin'.

3. Ifn' I do dress as ol' Long John, I must be careful o' one thing...blood clots. Ace of Harbor Bay pointed out ter me durin' a fyne lunch, that I'd have ter make a rig that kin easily release me leg from it's propped up condition in a heartbeat...and that I really shouldn't have me leg up all day. Then I'd really have ter ampeetate! I like cyclin' too much fer that mates. That being said...I'm still goin' forward fer short stints at public appearances.

...and then...

...me dear wifey suggests I start workin' on me next favorite Hollywood pirate...

YWGJE-yellowbeard.jpg

REDD.jpg

nice bit o costumin there lad. :)

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

...and then...

...me dear wifey suggests I start workin' on me next favorite Hollywood pirate...

And that one would be? :unsure:

BLACK SKOT ---(BLACKIE)

"Quarter" Master

Pyrates of the Coast

"Permit me aboard and I'll be takin' over yer ship...

Don't permit me aboard and I'll still take over yer ship"

And that one would be? 

Arrr...That be Yellowbeard, matey! Graham Chapman of Monty Python fame. The movie included Marty Feldman, Peter Boyle, Cheech&Chong, Madelyne Kahn, Eric Idle, John Cleese, Peter Cook, and a whole slew of other well-knowns. It's not a 4 star movie...but it be a little gem that I have a soft spot in me black heart fer.

By the way...here's a picture of what I've made so far - in action as it were...

Redd_N_Jack.jpg

Gettin' there...truly gettin' there.

REDD.jpg

Little book report...speakin' o' ol' Long John...

Jus' finished readin' The Curse of Treasure Island!

Tis a fyne book, and well writ. It's a light read, but a fun one fer anyone o' ye who enjoyed the early adventures of Jim Hawkins. In this book, Jim lad be in his mid-twenties and must return to that cursed isle to save the honor of a lady in distress. And do 'e meet up with ol' John Silver, sez you? Well, matey, jus' you set deadlights on this here book an' find out fer yerself!

-Redd

REDD.jpg