Pirate encyclopedia!

Charity

I've found some very good, interesting books the last weeks, one Dutch one, republished but originally written in the very time the pirates were in their high peak, and by someone who witnessed some of the "action".

The other's i've got now are;

Life among the pirates by David Cordingly.

Pirates, also by David Cordingly.

A dutch childrens book, but fantastic, very good accurate info and great artwork called "My first book about pirates".

But, wich is really interesting, a Pirate encyclopedia!

It's called Pirates! a-z encyclopedia by Jan Rogozinsky.

It's a great book, lots of great info, and ofcourse all the well known and less known Pirates and all to do with the trade are in it, except the Barabossa brother, wich is weird as they are found all over internet.

It's got fantastic pictures too.

Aye, i've got some great books, but now i'm all bought out :huh:

hero.jpg

A Pirate Encyclopedia? Me wants it! I've been through the history section at my Barnes and Noble so many times, but I have only two historical books, the Cordingly "Life Among the Pirates" book and um... "Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition" by... oh, I forgot. But it's about my favorite kinds of pirates... *evil grin*

Captain Wolfy Wench

I was looking on internet everywhere and sofar didn't find it but it does excist, so here is the ISBN nr etc for interested.

Name:

PIRATES! An a-z encyclopedia

Brigands, Buccaneers, and Privateers in fact, fiction and legend.

Author:

Jan Rogozinski

ISBN:

0-306-80722-x

Publisher:

Da Capo Press Inc.

A subsidiary of Plenum Publishing Corperation

233 Spring Street, New York, N.Y. 10013

hero.jpg

Well, i haven't had the chance to read it all yet, but the things i did check, on Edward Teach etc, seemed ok.

But, i guess there's mistakes everywhere because almost every site on pyracy has difference too.

It shure makes a fine book to own :)

hero.jpg

um... "Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition" by... oh, I forgot. But it's about my favorite kinds of pirates... *evil grin*

Your favorite kinds of pirates are the Sodomites? :lol:

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

Sodomites?

Never heard of them...maybe i should find out B)

Sodomites, named after the Biblical Sodom (As in Sodom and Gomorrah). God destroyed both cities with fire from Heaven due to their sins.

Flash forward. Sodomy became the act of... let me put this delicately.

Bootysex.

Legally nowadays Sodomy covers anal and oral copulation.

Also referred to Buggery or Buggering for the Brits. Especially for pyracy and colonial purposes.

I know too much about stuff... B)

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

I just bought a bunch a books a couple of weeks ago. I picked up " Under the black flag" by david Cordingly - it caught me eye of course. Anyone read it?

Oh, yes--that one's a goody--although some might take issue with the whole debunk-the-fun-stuff agenda. But that's what historians do I guess, and I get the impression that for all of his nay-saying, Mr. Cordingly is just as enamoured of the fictions of piracy as any of us.

That encyclopedia rules, as well--it does have some gaps, and a couple mistakes here and there, but its a great starting-point for all kinds of research, and comes in quite handy for figuring out what part of the world is being referred to when archaic place names are used (Calicutt??) B)

"Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition" by... oh, I forgot. But it's about my favorite kinds of pirates... *evil grin*

Captain Wolfy Wench

Have you read William Burroughs' Cities of the Red Night? Boo-tay lovin pirates all over that one B) (all pirates love booty, but only a select few will cop to loving boo-tay! Boy boo-tay, anyway...)

Legally nowadays Sodomy covers anal and oral copulation.
[/code]

Okkkkkkk....learned something new here ..thanks for the interesting biologie/history lessons :ph34r:

I have two books of David Cordingly now, but i'll defenitely get "Under the black flag" too yet. :)

hero.jpg