Hat Safety

I noticed that many Seafarers wear a bandana beneath their hats. It surves 3 purposes. To keep sweat fron running into the eyes, to control an unruly thatch, and also make the hat fit more snugly. During high winds, many hats were probably blown overboard, and lost to Davey Jones' locker. I think it may be a good idea to invest in a safety clip. One end is clipped to the hat, and the other would clip to a collar in the back. Remember those mens Shirts in high school ? People delighted in pulling the loop off the back ? Well..I think that would be a good idea for adding to sailor shirts, or frocks. Call it a Hat Tab...or safety tab. "Never lose another hat to a the sea in a high wind !" Of course, someone has probably invented it...but I would certainly want one for my Tricorner if I wandered out to sea...and it would be great to see a skull and Crossbones embossed into the alligator clip ! Many men are not into having a little bow tied under the chin, or I would suggest a tie on hat... :ph34r:

I noticed that many Seafarers wear a bandana beneath their hats. It surves 3 purposes. To keep sweat fron running into the eyes, to control an unruly thatch, and also make the hat fit more snugly. During high winds, many hats were probably blown overboard, and lost to Davey Jones' locker.

I agree, but I think that ye forgot one more reason...It look cool!

Aye mate ! It be very cool ! I spend a lot o time thinkin' about me hat. Me body be 5 feet 2 an' about 95 pounds.....an' I need me hat be not overpowerin' me head.....The Sparrow look be top notch...an' a tricorn wit a bit o gold braid be very fine ! Tha French hats have a special charm, an tha creative variations on a theme...be a special treat, as well. Me noggin' measures 21 inches and a tad. I think I kin find a proper cap ! I don't want a crown too high..or..it be shrinkin' me flaps !

:ph34r:

Too bad we don't have a website...where we kin put up a picture...an by magic..different outfits appear..on us..amazin' how one scurvy dog looks better than another in tha same duds ! :ph34r: I guess there's hat types..an scarf types....boot types..and "blompy shoe" types....arrr! Glad we have choices.... :ph34r:

Aye lass...I know how ye feels about yer hat! I Love mine and would not want it t' end up Lost 'r some other terrible thing t' happen t' it! I've not been to a Pyrate fair yet :lol: but, would be most agreeved if somethin' happened to it! I just got done removin' all th' dust off o' it th' other day!!! :lol: (truth).

Deadly Drucilla

:lol::lol::lol:

Pause My Friend, As You Pass By. -As You Are, So Once Was I. -As I Am, So Shall You Be. -Prepare You Then, To Follow Me.

(written on a gravestone)

I got one of the Jas. Tousand hat blanks, and fixed that up into a pyrate hat.... but I don't wear it when playing on the Royaleste, I wouldn't want it to blow off.

So I made a tarpaulin hat out of canvas and painted it black. It's heavy enough to stay on my head in the wind, and if it did blow overboard, I could just make a new one......

• 3 months later...

Just an odd thought how about using hat pins. I know many women used to use them to keep thier hats on in wind. your mother/grandmother probably has one if you cant find em in stores. mabey you could add a skull on it and volla your hat stays on with no visual diffrences to your hat

When working on the deck, I just wear the silk bandana or, if it's cold, a thrum cap or a monmouth cap over it.

Tricorns are for walking around town, not working the deck. They fall off when you bend over, they catch the lines when you're hauling aloft, and they do blow off.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Ifn Pirates were anythin' like sailors in the 18th century Royal Navy, or in the early days of the US Navy--and I'm sure they were, Hawkyns has a very good point.

Tricorns and Bicorns were usually worn by officers as a sign of rank.

Usually, the bigger the Poo-bah, the bigger the hat. :blink:

Those fellers never went aloft, or hauled onna line. The real woiking class sailors wore clothes that allowed for movement. Monmouth caps, bandannas , touques and the like were more likely headgear.

Of course, Hollywood has given the impression that properly dressed Pirates had a Long John Silver autograph model hat on his noggin. What the moviegoers never saw was the wad of gaffers tape holding said tricorn in place. :lol:

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!

I got one of the Jas. Tousand hat blanks, and fixed that up into a pyrate hat....

I too, started with a hat blank and formed me own....I Loves me hat and have had no trouble with the wind cause we been hav'n lots o' Hurricanes down here so I been stay'n inside.

KP :blink:

desk.jpg

If you don't want to lose a hat, make sure it fits sugly. I've had mine for 11 years now and have worn it in all types of weather on land and on sea. Never once lost me tricorn or even have it blow off. They're actually very aerodynamic unless you have it cocked back on your head. Other hats has blown off aboard ship but the tricorn - never...

Fit is everything. It shouldn't be loose. It should fit the shape of your head and mold to it. Work the hat to do that - it's like a baseball mitt. They can be shaped and molded...

If you have a leather one and it's kind of tight... wet it a bit around the band and then wear it till it dries. Cowboys do that with their boots - they jump into a tub of water with the boots and wear them till they dry. Same thing here... (It works with pirate boots too).

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Well the truth o' the matter is that if you have a functional piece of equipment, you must simply accept that something unwelcome might come to it. Trust that everything is replaceable, and the replacement might even be better than the original! O'course this don't apply to me leather jack, since Mac be dead, and no others make any so nice... :ph34r:

The Duchess

Well the truth o' the matter is that if you have a functional piece of equipment, you must simply accept that something unwelcome might come to it. Trust that everything is replaceable, and the replacement might even be better than the original! O'course this don't apply to me leather jack, since Mac be dead, and no others make any so nice... :ph34r:

The Duchess

Working kit will get damaged. So what? Damage is period, so are repairs. This past weekend, someone made a comment that my shirt had a patch. I guess I was a little stunned. It ripped, it got patched. My tricorn has been soaked and dried more times than I can count. It has burn holes from musket firing, and a permanent stain from where my pipe sits through the cords. It looks like what it is, a working hat.

I don't quite understand the idea that when kit gets torn or stained, it needs replacing. We're pirates, dammit. We shouldn't look like fashion plates. I saw a lot of 'pirates' at the MDRF that had obviously never hauled a line, weathered a storm, or been in a fight.

Duchess, you are correct. Be prepared for clothing to take damage, kit to get lost, and things to break. If it's so special, put it on a shelf and get something you won't care about. Being so careful of kit that it doesn't look worn or used just doesn't make sense.

Hawkyns

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Aye, that was indeed my point. And though my dear leather jack is truely irreplacable, it isn't worth much to me, if I'm not using it.

If it were living on a shelf, I'd have to dust it. Instead, drink goes in and drink goes out, and it is never needing dusting. Though it did need some reshaping after I fell 15' to flatten it with me backside. :)

The Duchess

Ahh that kind of jack. Wasna sure if tha meant a drinkin' jack or an armoured leather doublet. I do like my drinkin' jacks, too. Have a couple from Buzzard's Nest.

Hawkyns

:D

rod_21.jpg

Aye, Jack o' the drinking kind. I've no need, so far, for armour...

Buzzard's Nest? Do they have a website? Tis always nice to have a back up plan in case of eventualities.

The Duchess

O'course this don't apply to me leather jack, since Mac be dead, and no others make any so nice... :lol:

Nay, but there be one such craftsman who were the apprentice to the dearly departed Mac! I have forgotten the bloke's name right off, but I be knowing that he opened his own l'il shoppe at the Minnesota Ren Fest this very year. I've buried the link deep apparently, but I'd be more than willing to share it 'round once it's found.... ;)

Please do share the link when you find it. It was at the MNRF that I worked for five wonderful years, and two more that weren't. I bought my jack from Mac 12 years ago, when my first pewter mug took the swan dive from the balcony of our stage/booth. Oddly enough, the same swan dive I took that crushed my jack. But, leather is just so much more durable... I missed the MNRF this year, as I've moved to Washington. It was Mac's widow who resealed my mug, the last time I had it done.

thanks

The Duchess