cutlass class

privateer

I've always wanted to do some fenceing .

but slashing around on the boat is hard on da rigin' .

Any sugestions on were to get classes in socal or a good jump off spot would be much appreciated.

:blink:

thanks for the tip :ph34r:

I'm looking for fenceing classes that can be translated to the cutlass or similar weapons. I'm already well versed in hand to hand and knife fighting styles. I be want'n to ave a little formal lern'n

cheers :ph34r:

What yer lookin' fer is called "sabre" fencin', as opposed to foil or epee (though if you are new to the sport, they will no doubt introduce you to foil initially).

In sabre, the torso and arms and head are legal targets, and the attacks are all slashes, whereas in foil and epee, slashes are verbotten and the point is all. This is to simulate encounters between mounted riders, but is also what you see Erol Flynn and Tyrone Power doing in the pyrate movies.

Most college athletic departments offer fencing. Many recreation departments do, also. I heartily recommend this sport as a great exercise and a fine way to learn to handle a sword like a pro.

But by all means, do the SCA thing, too or instead, if you care to. There are some well-trained, skillful fencers in that organization, although their training tends to run more to stage fighting (binds, throws, leaps, rolls, etc.) than to the real deal.

:ph34r:

If you are in the LA area ...fencing instructions by Swordplay look them up in the phone book.

There are a few for Katana work too. But, methinks tat tain't what yer be looking fer...

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Careful now! Fencing and using a cutlass are verra different.

And I know someone has posted this here before, but here's some historical tips:

http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/B_S_M/Sword.html

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

Aye, they be different. Fencin' is the art and science o' handlin' yer sword, and a cutlass is fer strippin' the blubber from whales, or any other large, undefended target that ye be hopin' to flence.

If'n ye learns ta fence proper, ye can fence wi' any weapon, the parries translate (wi' a bit o' practice to learn the foibles o' the particular blade). On t'other hook, if'n ye learn by whackin' wi' a cutlass, ye'll have fun, sher, but may find yer technique ain't gonna hold in a pinch.

IMHO, anyway.

I be an SCA Rapier fighter... There's no "slashing" allowed, per sey... if you make a slashing motion, it has to be for a parry, or it has to be "pulled" before it lands on target... I use alot of slashing in my style of fighting, usually with a combined parry/draw cut. (a draw cut is where you end up laying the sharp of your blade on your target, and drawing it across a major vein or artery, which is usually a kill shot.)

I do this for several reasons... the primary "valid" shots are all thrusts with the tip... IE: fencing. Draw and push cuts are legal, but slashes aren't... I turn the slash into a draw cut and it adds flair and a bit more realism to the fight! And to top it all off, most people don't see it coming till it's too late.

:lol:

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

I be anchored in the southbay. there are two or three 'salles' I found through the help I got here ( thanks again ) one in torrance and the one in culver city looks interesting. I would love to learn from swordplay but it's not werth venturing out on the world largest parking lot ... the 405.

:D

thanks again fer the help. I'll 'ave ta start a thread an let ya all know how the classes go once I decide on which one and get started.

:D