Here ya go, Shipmates.....

I wouldn't try to use it for anything other than a belt or wall hanger...

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

I don't know. It might be old, but I suspect it could still wallop pretty well. Of course, I wouldn't use it to fight. When something's survived like that, well, it doesn't seem right to mess it up at play.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I wouldn't try to use it for anything other than a belt or wall hanger...

And I'd be like ta shoot thee if tha did. Pieces like this belong in museums or good collections. If you do wear an original as a carry piece, and I do, it should be proberly scabbarded, securely slung, and treated with some care.

I wonder what the reserve is. and how many parts Gwen would hack me into.....

Hawkyns

B)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Alas that be a beautiful piece, but like so much in me life...beauty is ill afforded to me at this time. I prefer items I care not if damaged as I still be quite a novice at this. Just check out me boat. I have learned very quickly the fine art of repair. B)

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

It does look nice and authentic, however ... :D

... beware of antique military or naval swords being sold on Ebay or other online houses right now. There's been a big black market trade for authentic-looking replicas. They are being produced in Romania and Poland, from what my sources tell me. Although, the replicas are also decent display swords ... they shouldn't sell for those high prices ... and the strength and quality of the tangs is quite suspect.

Before buying any sword with a reputed history or even a so-called custom sword, be sure to handle it and know what you are looking at. There are very reputable swordmakers that will forge (or stock remove) a sword to your specs for decent prices. I mean, as long as you are willing to pay $400-$500 anyway ... you might as well be sure of what you are getting.

Just my two centavos,

Auction has ended with high bid of $1325, reserve not met.

I believe that I know the owner of this sword as an aquaintance on a couple of other forums that I frequent. My impression is that of a hard-working, honest individual with a good amount of knowledge of swords. He has a particular interest in Scottish baskethilts with curved blades and has handled and photographed originals in Scottish museums.

He also has a piratical streak.

The sword is familiar as well. I'd gathered he was rather fond of it, and have emailed him as to why he is selling it, but haven't had a response.

If he is indeed an honest and knowledgable man as you say, Mr. Frye ... then your friend did well in that sale and somebody got themselves a nice blade. It's good to know there are still some people out there with some sort of ethical code. :)

Wartooth

Wow! Now that's a cutlass...just downloaded all the pictures for my illustration reference library! <_<

Haha Redd, Thats exactly what i did, right click 'Save Image As'. . .

\\stynky's file server\artReference\pyrate\ebayCutlass\ :lol:

They're great images.