POTC question

KW Pirate

Ok, this is just a question I thought of after an evening at home with me rum watching those lovely gents from POTC.

If Wills dad was cursed when he was sent to the depths by Barbossa, It wouldn't really have done anything to him, would it? I mean he would have just gone to the bottom, taken off his shoes or something and still been alive, because of the curse...or is my thinking kinda off here? The only time he should have been able to die is after the curse is broken. So Will's dad should still be alive.

OK....too much thinking in circles...head is starting to spin...need more rum....

Deadly Aim

Key West Pirate

pil'-lag-ing

It's like looting, but the shopkeeper is watching from behind some hastily contrived shelter.

Rum Wench - Pyrates of the Coast

OK...Now I was thinkin' maybe the curse was lifted after his father gave Will the coin.

BUT.....wouldn't that mean that Elizabeth would have been cursed? She did take it from Will!!!

Jack got the curse, but he took it from the chest. Maybe you have to take it directly from the chest to be cursed. :lol:

BLACK SKOT ---(BLACKIE)

"Quarter" Master

Pyrates of the Coast

"Permit me aboard and I'll be takin' over yer ship...

Don't permit me aboard and I'll still take over yer ship"

The only way ye become cursed is by taking it directly from the chest. That's why Wil and Elizabeth never were cursed. Wil was given the coin from his father and Elizabeth took the coin from him. Notice in the cave scene, when Barbossa realizes Elizabeth isn't the one, he's the one that takes the coin back out from chest. Not Elizabeth. Jack removed a coin at the end in order to protect himself during his fight with Barbossa. Tricky bastard eh? :huh:

I'm sure during the whole 10 years, Bootstrap managed to unstrap himself from the cannon. He can't die, since being cursed, so he has a lot of time to free himself. I'm sure his character will be in the sequel.

Hmmm.... The Writers Commentary on the DVD is interesting enough. They state that Bootstrap is indeed dead... having be sent to the "crushing black oblivion". I can venture to say I can believe it.

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

They never said the undead pirates could regenerate...

And oceans can be very deep indeed.

Maybe the pressure crushed him like an undead grape?

Besides, even if he was undead... and stuck underwater still... then he would be really bad off when the curse was lifted.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

Besides, even if he was undead... and stuck underwater still... then he would be really bad off when the curse was lifted.

*shudders at the thought*

thats a heck of a lot to feel after not feeling anything for 10 years.

Deadly Aim

pil'-lag-ing

It's like looting, but the shopkeeper is watching from behind some hastily contrived shelter.

Rum Wench - Pyrates of the Coast

Yarr...

Let me explain. Skeletons can survive underwater forever. So, Bootstraps Bill had no trouble hanging out beneath the ocean's surface for all of that time. Given his shackled predicament, however, he couldn't move or budge. All he could do was simply watch random fish swim by. Every day he hoped and pleaded that some day things would change for the better...

The problem, of course, is that young Will Turner eventually threw the coins back into the cursed treasure chest. After that, all of the original pirate crew of the Black Pearl turned alive again. Including Bootstraps Bill. Yes...Will Turner killed his very own father. A dear, sweet old man was drowned in a horrible and tragic death several miles beneath the Caribbean Sea. All due to his negligent son.

Arrr... that Will Turner's a jerk.

"I like nachos. Mermaid nachos."

The Seabeaver - Official Website

Facebook

MySpace

Twitter

banner2.gif

The problem, of course, is that young Will Turner eventually threw the coins back into the cursed treasure chest. After that, all of the original pirate crew of the Black Pearl turned alive again. Including Bootstraps Bill. Yes...Will Turner killed his very own father. A dear, sweet old man was drowned in a horrible and tragic death several miles beneath the Caribbean Sea. All due to his negligent son.

Arrr... that Will Turner's a jerk.

Yeah, in the PotC fandom, it's the very popular opinion that Will Turner's father is still alive because the curse would have affected him. He did give a coin to his son, but we don't REALLY know if he took it and was therefore cursed.

But if he was, then yes, until Will lifted it, his father was undead. I'm sure over the 8 years, Bootstrap found a way to free himself from the cannon he was strapped to, and was up and about. A man doesn't spend 8 years roaming the seafloor, you know. <_<

So yeah, Bill may come back in future PotC films. And Will's so not a jerk! I love him, the simpleton...

Captain Wolfy Wench

Under water, alive for 8 years. What reasonable person wouldn't find a way to escape? Oh that's right, it's a movie and here I was applying real life scenarios to a movie plot. :rolleyes:

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

I be thinkin' he's dead, dead, dead as a mackerel, and twice as smelly.

Weren't no tellin' that ole Bootstrap was afflicted. But twould 'ardly be fair, now, to have Barbossa's enemy and victim cursed along with the bony crew. After all, they never said he took the coin, and while he was a pyrate (as Jack assures little Willie), he were also a good pyrate.

I 'speck we'll find out in POTCII, though, and I wouldn't put money on it either way, after all, I never guessed who Luke's fatha was, neither, I didn't. :rolleyes:

Will Turner killed his very own father. A dear, sweet old man was drowned in a horrible and tragic death several miles beneath the Caribbean Sea. All due to his negligent son.

Oh?

Who says he was still under water at the time he threw the coin?

If he was strapped by his BOOTSTRAPS to a canon and he doesn't have to breethe he could have taken his time to unstrap his straps or take his boots off etc.

No one can be shure he was under water when Will threw the coin back.

I say he's alive..who came to the chest in that clip after the credits, came from the water, and yeah, i believe they are hints.

but that's just me :rolleyes:

hero.jpg

Oh?

Who says he was still under water at the time he threw the coin?

If he was strapped by his BOOTSTRAPS to a canon and he doesn't have to breethe he could have taken his time to unstrap his straps or take his boots off etc.

Oh I see, Bootless Bill instead of Bootstrap Bill. I get it. <_<

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Im thinking that he may be alive. He was cursed when he took the coin And was sent to the deep of Davy Jones locker..But he cant die. he is tied to a cannonball attached to his bootstraps..im thinking that maybe he could still get some moonlight wherever he may have landed turned into a skeleton and slipped free of his bonds and his boots and made it to shore. Or something..And Aye Jack is a sneaky devil..But me likes it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

I think so too.

I didn't quite mean the monkey is Bill :huh:

I mean, someone came and opened the chest!

I mean, it was slightly open and had an apple between the chest&lid, and then it was fully opened.

That was when the monkey came, so, someone came and opened the lid and then the monkey came...

I say it was Bill who opened it, and Barbossa wasn't quite dead.

Bill then gave him the coin to curse him again maybe...don't know, or HE took one to make revenge easyer :huh:

hero.jpg

• 2 weeks later...