amusing graduation story

So I graduated from High school today. :ph34r::ph34r:

And the awards ceremony was before graduation.

So's I gets called up fer a music award. I get a musical dictionary, and sits meself back down.

Then they announce "The rear Admiral so and so prize, given to a student for his or her excellence and interest in naval history."

I figgers it's goin' ta me best friend who's a navy brat, or ta this kid in my school who's a nationally ranked sailor.

This is where the story gets interestin'.

They call me name.

So I walks up there ta get me award, thinkin' oh it's gonna be some book with pictures of destroyers and stuff. I gets me award, and what is it? "A Pirate of Exquisite Mind" which is a biography of William Dampier that was on the NY times best seller list a few weeks back that I wanted ta read but couldn't afford. Turns out me AP European histry teacher voted me fer the award because I wrote me term paper about how piracy was a form of freedom. Then me english teacher, who knows that I'm into pirates suggests ta the other teacher who buys the books fer prizes tha' I gets a pirate book. twas very exciting. I thought it was kinda funny that I get this navy award fer me interest in the rather shadier aspects o' maritime history. But hey, a free pirate book. I'll not be arguin with that....

Thanks fer indulgin me little bit of pluming an' paradin' but i thought ye'd all get a kick outta that

:ph34r:

congrats! to you lassie! The next apple cider/ root beer is on me... We have some fine pirates in here, and you just proved that a few are dang smart too!

Arrrrrrrrrrgh.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Thanks all very much! Haha! Summer is now upon us... This means gotta get out the old kayak and start harassin' the boats in the harbor. Should be fun this year what with tall ships comin' and all...

Congrats my dear Lassie! Now you can leave all them little cabin boys behind and go for bigger game! In the meantime I'll share a fine rootbeer soda with ya!

Nothin' like givin' a pirate a book on pirates. Now I ask, what can you learn that ye didn't already learn from this site? Ah, never mind....

Sip up me hearty, yo ho!

Rumba Rue

**My job is to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable** B)

Ta answer yer question, yes, I'm plannin' ta go ta Middlebury College, which is in Vermont in the fall. I've never lived on the mainland in me life, so not having the ocean close by is going ta be a bit of a shock. But all me options were landlocked, and Middlebury would let me do study at sea. Anyone know of any pirates up Vermont way?

We're proud of ye, lass.

Ye can ship with our crew anythime :)

hey, post the paper, we'd all love ta see it.

z

:ph34r:

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

Thanks ya Zorq, I may take ye up on that.

there wasn't a paper , just the book, but the inscription in the book were this:

"The Rear Admiral John Remey Wadleigh Memorial Prize--awarded to a student whose enthusiasm for and interest in Naval history is worthy of special recognition"

I wonder what aforementioned rear admiral would of thought ifn he knew the prize named fer him were given ta a pirate :ph34r:

An award for excellence in naval history?!? I wish I had gone to your school! The biggest scholarship my high school (Coon Rapids, MN, Class of 75) gave away was from the company that gave us the Thermos. True, one of the great inventions of the 20th century, but about as cool a toenail clipper!

I s'pose growin up in the middle of the continent probably nixed any chance of an award for excellence in naval history.

:rolleyes:

An award for excellence in naval history?!? I wish I had gone to your school! The biggest scholarship my high school (Coon Rapids, MN, Class of 75) gave away was from the company that gave us the Thermos. True, one of the great inventions of the 20th century, but about as cool a toenail clipper!

I s'pose growin up in the middle of the continent probably nixed any chance of an award for excellence in naval history.

:rolleyes:

Yeah well, Naval War College is in my town. I think it's kind of cool. As I've never lived on the mainland, what's it like ta live away from the ocean?

Yeah well, Naval War College is in my town. I think it's kind of cool. As I've never lived on the mainland, what's it like ta live away from the ocean?

Flat, dry and unsalted, mostly.

Though Minnesota is the Land of 10,000 Lakes, they be mostly little uns that ye can see acrost. The closest we have to the sea is Lake Superior, which is a proper stretch of big water. The seas can get pretty big on the lake:

wave-211127382.jpg

this is along the quay at the entrance to Duluth harbor. Out on the Lake, 30-40 seas aren't uncommon in November, like in the storm that sunk the Edmund Fitzgerald in '75.

Ohh, looks like the ocean.

I lives on a liddle island in Narragansett bay, which cuts Rhode Island in half, so bein sheltered like that we don't get huge seas often. Great harbors though, full o' all manner o' boats, from fishin' boats ta round the world yachts. Oh, an' tour boats... they be fun ta harass :ph34r:

Thanks ya Zorq, I may take ye up on that.

there wasn't a paper , just the book, but the inscription in the book were this:

"The Rear Admiral John Remey Wadleigh Memorial Prize--awarded to a student whose enthusiasm for and interest in Naval history is worthy of special recognition"

I wonder what aforementioned rear admiral would of thought ifn he knew the prize named fer him were given ta a pirate :ph34r:

Nonono lass, th TERM paper. Post thatun. :)

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

• 2 weeks later...
good on ye lassie... ye know ye ken tell a parsons intelegince by thar corekt pronownseactions... i gradeated fron the skool of hard knocks, meself... gradeated wit 'oners, did i.

Aye. book learnin' be a truly good an' useful thing ta have, but methinks tisnt much ifn ya don't have the practical intelligence ta go along wi' it. Ye'll not survive wi'out that