Jamestown Landing Day PICTURES

Paisley

well...micah and myself went out to discover the history of jamestown by ourselves. the crowds were scarce, and the weather couldn't have been better!

we took our time and allowed a whole day at jamestown. their museum is wonderful. this included a 15 minute film on the history. we found the artifacts very exciting...lots of weapons fron the 1600's. con: not allowed to take photos of all the beautiful rapiers : (

we headed outside to the ships (replicas) where we saw the susan constant, the discovery, and the godspeed. the constant was the largest ship (100 tons) that brought over the first colonists, and there was talk of pirates, seeing how she was a merchant ship. you are permitted to board all the ships. i highly reccommend this to any of you pirates with kiddies as they allow you to touch anything! (good for the touchy-feely parents too!). a couple of sailors on the constant showed us a demo on how to fire a deck gun (i was informed there are many names) can you say loud???

ahhhhhhh.....the smell of black powder!

on to james fort, also a replica, but very informative. around 10 buildings you are allowded to wander through. complete with chickens, gardens, cannons, and a musket loading demo.

there's that black powder again....

we also passed through the powatan indian village. also very informative, but i was on a different mission today. (plus they didn't have any frybread cooking...lol)

we chose not to cram in yorktown and chose to go wander the actual jamestown village 1 mile down the road. this was part of the national park service, so if you plan on visiting, there is an extra charge in addition to your jamestown tickets. the island had a great 5 mile driving tour with signs along the road you could pull up to and read. it came in real handy because the flys out there are about as big as my head. the village ruins make a perfect setting in front of the james river where we happened to catch sight of a bald eagle. nice statue of capt john smith and pocahantas (?)

for those going over to the hampton blackbeard fest...you should make a 1/2 day trip over to the area....well worth it!

more photos from jamestown

jamestown1.jpg

jamestown - the first permanent colony of the english people,

the birthplace of virginia, and of the united states.

may 13, 1607

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

lol....no rumba....thats my son, micah

snicker

but he does look just like me.

just add about 1 foot on him, longer hair, and enough junk to shove in a bodice, and there ya go.

: )

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

Pyrate Molly, I, our eldest daughter also wandered around Jamestowne for the landing event. Unfortunately like two ships passing in the night we weren't able to rendezvous with Paisley and Micha.

We had fun none the less and here are some pictures I took of one of the ships, the Susan Constance. Though she not be a pirate nor privateer vessel, I thought I would share some of the period nautical stuff anyway.

The Susan Constance

susanConstance0504.jpg

bellSusanConstance0504.jpg

This be hanging in the Captain's quarters.

bandoilerSusanConstance0504.jpg

This stuff be down below.

tableSusanConstance0504.jpg

kitchenSusanCanstance0504.jpg

gunnerSusanConstance0504.jpg

cargoSusanConstance.jpg

And this be sitting on the dock of the bay. . .

cannonJamestowneDock0504.jpg