Radio control HMS Suprise

There were some folks sailing radio control yachts in a local park the other day, which got me to thinking..."I wonder if anyone makes R/C tall ships?" Well, yes; someone does. Check out their model of the HMS Suprise! Love to get one, but BALLS! Is that a lot of money or what? $13,500 for a finished, ready to sail model. (bet the Royaliste spends that much every month just keeping it afloat...) It's nearly six feet long, weighs over 100 pounds and needs its own trailer. But no working cannon. What a shame. I'd love to see a few of these engaged in battle.

:unsure:

A radio-controlled, six foot vessel? And for $13,000! Mon Dieu! I don't get it! Can you actually get aboard and sail it? If so, what's the radio-control for?

I've heard of people sailing little radio controlled models and it sounds like fun, but to spend that kind of money for a high tech toy...ye've been using the sextant at high noon fer too long, without wearin' a hat, sez I! :unsure:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

A radio-controlled, six foot vessel? And for $13,000! Mon Dieu! I don't get it! Can you actually get aboard and sail it? If so, what's the radio-control for?

You can not sit in her:

"Sailing weight is 107 lbs (48.7 kgs)"

Unless you have the size and weight of a new born, there is no way you could sit in her.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

You can not sit in her:

"Sailing weight is 107 lbs (48.7 kgs)"

Unless you have the size and weight of a new born, there is no way you could sit in her.

Wenonah's Spirit:

p_Spirit_1b.jpg

Weight: 42 pounds in Kevlar Ultra-Light.

Two adults can sit in her quite comfortably.

Specs

The Surprise wasn't designed for passengers, but weight isn't the issue.

This price of the kit only is what I paid for a real boat that can hold up to 2 adults and 2 kids. Not as pretty as the HMS Surprise model, but a lot more fun.

Speaking of fun....is that you Deacon Frye in that picture of the Wenonah? :lol:

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

There were some folks sailing radio control yachts in a local park the other day, which got me to thinking..."I wonder if anyone makes R/C tall ships?" Well, yes; ... But no working cannon. What a shame. I'd love to see a few of these engaged in battle.

:huh:

Dimly, from the far reaches of my memory, I seem to recall a scene early in Beau Geste where the brothers in their childhood are sailing very large models and blasting away at each other with cannon.

I gather it's still done today, with large models of modern war ships and air-driven projectiles.

Methinks t'would be great fun to borrow the Royaliste's swivel, mount it on the foredeck o' the Land Shark, float out in whatever pond that wee ship be sailing an' blast 'er 13,000 dollar balsa wood arse clean out o' the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*snicker* I becomes frightfully vengefull when things be grossly over-priced!!!

:huh:

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

• 2 months later...

RC Square Rigger !!! Now that be a difficult one to handle.

Aye, I have built several small (3' -3.5') RC schooners and under $300 in materials. One I put topsails on, & it twas difficult to handle. Could have put a winch on it, but RC winches are expensive.

Firing cannon via RC be no problem...just put nichrome wire in the touch hole with leads to the microswitch and 9 volt battery. Made 32 caliber cannons on me Red Raven schooner out of scrap stainless pipe I found...just right for giving a park duck a broadside.

Heard of a fellow that made an HMS Victory and for tacking with square sails, he had it rigged up so that the masts themselves would turn.

Captain Jim-sib I laughed so hard at your post..I would have loved to see any ducks face that got Broadsided by a canon..even a minitaure one. Or the cannon on the land shark blowing 13,000 dollars all to hell would be good too. Hell I could start savin fer me island hideaway with 13,000 dollars. That is someone who is way to rich with way to much time on there hands..perhaps we should sail to his isle and be pilferin his stuff...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

R/C Chinese treasure Junk would be awesome. 9 masts would probaply be a little hard on the controls though. I better stop now other wise I'll never get me pram built little on re building the chapparal's interior.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Well then im all for Red Raven I say sink the HMS and boy what a Surprise that shall be. And please call me Siren..much shorter to say and type..$13,000 to the deep of Davy Jones Locker...or pond..Wherever he is afloat...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Heard of a fellow that made an HMS Victory and for tacking with square sails, he had it rigged up so that the masts themselves would turn.

I think that's how this one works. If ye watch the video, ye can see all the sails turning at once. It's probably alot easier to just turn the whole sail than to train a bunch of hamsters to crew the ship.