Clearwater hat Co. Review

Ahoy aloft and alow!

Wanting a better quality hat than I could make the first time round. I wanted a well cocked hat, on the order of what clearwater calls a "French" style.

I contacted Clearwater in February, sent a money order out right away, and in 8 weeks time (less a day), I recieved my hat. Back in December, the turn around time had been 4 weeks, but he had recieved a rush of orders, which increased the turn around.

The hat looks precisely like this (save mine is 'coffee' coloured, as I ordered, rather than black) -

frenchtri.jpg

You get exactly what you see in the photo, a well cocked hat of high quality. They come with a silk binding, and sweatband, and an adjustable cotton lining, exactly as they ought have. The hat can be let down (like an original), as the cocking is held in place with light metal hooks. The blank it is made from is a fur blend, and a heavy blank at that. (much heavier than the average wool hat blank you find at sutlers commonly).

The hat fits me supurbly - they have you send a pattern of the circumfrence of your head, in the form of a file folder that you size to your head - the process is described on the site, and it allows for a perfect fit the first time.

They can trim a hat as fancy as you would like, with gold galoon, exactly as an original (for a suitable price). If you are in the market for a high-quality cocked hat, Clearwater fills the bill nicely. The only comparable hatter in the business and a similar price range is Dirty Billys Sutlery - I went with Clearwater as I liked the cocking of his hats better. The only step up from this hat in historical accuaacy I am aware of is to get a beaver felt hat from a hatter in Canada, painfully exacting replicas going for $400 (US) apiece - I don't have his name, and he hasn't a web presence, but he is well known in the upper end of the 18th century living history community.

Total cost for the hat was $122 delivered. I consider it money well spent, as It would have taken me 3 or 4 trys with a blank going at least $30 - $40 to replicate the hat, and then only the shape - I doubt I would have gotten all the details this one has. I wanted a good replica of a cocked hat, not a semi-close approximation, so it was worth the cost to me. :rolleyes:

Here is a link to CleaClearwater hatsrwater

Yes, the Clearwater hats are very nice.

I was lucky enough to get a pecan-colored cocked hat on Ebay a while back. Mine only has two of those little metal hooks -- one is missing.

By the way, how were hats cocked up back then? I've heard there were a few different methods, maybe even depending on the time period.

Ribbon cord? Hooks and eyes? Are the hooks that Clearwater includes with their hats authentic for that time period?

I'm focusing on the 1716 period.

Thanks for your help.

Tar Bucket Bill

Graphiker1@aol.com

Yes, the Clearwater hats are very nice.

I was lucky enough to get a pecan-colored cocked hat on Ebay a while back. Mine only has two of those little metal hooks -- one is missing.

By the way, how were hats cocked up back then? I've heard there were a few different methods, maybe even depending on the time period.

Ribbon cord? Hooks and eyes? Are the hooks that Clearwater includes with their hats authentic for that time period?

I'm focusing on the 1716 period.

Thanks for your help.

Tar Bucket Bill

Graphiker1@aol.com

Ahoy Tar Bucket Bill,

Cocking of hats becomes fashionable in the last decade of the 17th century, most pictures I have seen from the 1690's to the first decade of the 18th century might be described as 'informal' tricorns, where the brim is not turned up radically. I think as the cocking becomes more prominent, the various methods you described are used alternately.

I can't answer as to the specific decade - I have a friend who is a clothing historian, perhaps she might have some further information. i do know for a fact hook and eye closures are reasonably common discoveries in archaeological digs , dating back to the late 14th century, and the many of the old ones look very like the ones still sold today.

Yes, Salem Bob. If your friend can provide further information about how hats were cocked up (especially around 1716) I'd be much obliged.

These little weird hooks that Clearwater provides that go onto the ribbon cord and then hook into the crown just don't seem right to me or my mates. They don't stay put very well on mine either. :lol:

Tar Bucket Bill

Graphiker1@aol.com