Finally got me bloody cutlass

I ordered me cutlass about two months ago (I hate 'avin to use snail mail) an she finally arrived. She's not pretty an' fancy, but she 'as a good strong blade o' carbon steel. She's just plain an' deadly, like me. An' well worth the $57.00 I paid.

9802.jpg

I got her from Allenbey's, they 'ave a good collection of pirate replicas at very good prices.

http://www.lovethosegifts.com/level.itml/icOid/4413

I think, therefor I am. Or maybe I just think I am.

Hunting Hawk! Thankyouthankyouthankyou! D'you know this is about THE best-looking "Jack Sparrow" sword I've seen yet! Looks nearly EXACTLY like it! Although the blood groove should be lower... but I can live with that. And it's so cheap! Thanks for this find, it be a fine cutlass!

Captain Wolfy Wench

Hunting Hawk! Thankyouthankyouthankyou! D'you know this is about THE best-looking "Jack Sparrow" sword I've seen yet! Looks nearly EXACTLY like it! Although the blood groove should be lower... but I can live with that. And it's so cheap! Thanks for this find, it be a fine cutlass!

Captain Wolfy Wench

"And I have expected it to be made of wood."

I think, therefor I am. Or maybe I just think I am.

I ordered me cutlass about two months ago (I hate 'avin to use snail mail) an she finally arrived. She's not pretty an' fancy, but she 'as a good strong blade o' carbon steel. She's just plain an' deadly, like me. An' well worth the $57.00 I paid.

9802.jpg

I got her from Allenbey's, they 'ave a good collection of pirate replicas at very good prices.

These are great looking cutlasses for a low-end type of character. I have one that I let continue to rust up a bit to add even more "character" to it. However, I STRONGLY advise curling the top of the guard over into a graceful scroll, as it will tear your clothing, and cause injury to yourself and others the way it is. I have done several of these by heating the guard red-hot with a propane torch, and rolling it into a scroll by tapping with a hammer while hot. Alternatively, you can simply cut the point off, and round it with a file. (I think the scroll looks better). A scabbard is also a good idea so no one gets poked by the point, especially litigation-happy tourists !!!!

>>>> Cascabel

I ordered me cutlass about two months ago (I hate 'avin to use snail mail) an she finally arrived.  She's not pretty an' fancy, but she 'as a good strong blade o' carbon steel.  She's just plain an' deadly, like me.  An' well worth the $57.00 I paid. 

9802.jpg

These are nice-looking cutlasses and you can't beat the price, Hawk.

Visually, they're a ringer for a c.1780 British from a merchant ship described in George Neumann's Swords & Blades of the American Revolution (376.s, p. 187).

Captain Wolfy Wench

Wolfy, I recall Sparrow's hanger looking more like this version made by Tony Swatton:

sparrows_sword.jpg

Sword and Stone

BTW, sorry to be didactic, but if you use the term "blood groove" around sword folks, they'll snicker. Just thought you might want to know.

Agreed, Deacon. Mostly, what it looks like is a slightly more curved version of the British pattern 1742 infantry hanger.

http://www.gggodwin.com/58.htm

Here is a cheaper and slightly more curved version

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/prjProduct.asp

Don't know about the Godwin version, but the AC one is common among 18th C re-enactors. Decent solid brass hilt and a so-so blade. Definitely made for looks, I wouldn't trust the blade to fight with. Nice thing is that it comes with a decent scabbard with brass furniture.

In the forge scene of PotC, nost of the weapons seen to be pretty much variations on this theme.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

It's possible that the one I posted was the one used by Sparrow in the forge fight scene.

Swatton's specialty is fighting swords with blades made of high grade aerospace aluminium for the movie industry. Aluminum has a number of advantages for stage combat.

For static close shots, they'll substitute another copy of the same sword with a steel blade.

The one above is aluminum-bladed and was sold to the movie company for use by the Sparrow character.

Hunting Hawk: Bloody great cutlass! I got one of those off'n the Bay of E about 6 or 7 months back. Yes! That is a very good, very top-heavy sword. I agree that you should fix that handguard problem, Me own right hand is scraped up because of it!

Also, look at the blade very carefully. Mine has a hair thin fracture that makes it just a costume piece. It would literally shatter if used in stage or real combat.

And before all of you wonder... yes I have more than just the last cutlass I mentioned. I currently own about 3 of them. And 7 different captain's coats. I'm... just a little obsessed.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

Swatton's specialty is fighting swords with blades made of high grade aerospace aluminium for the movie industry. Aluminum has a number of advantages for stage combat.

I found out about this when I was talking to Braun MacAsh a couple of years ago. Never having dealt with the west coast/Hollywood style of doing things, I didn't know about this idea. All the theatrical work I've been involved with has used blunted steel. The custom sword makers I deal with are primarily concerned with stage work, also. I guess the logic goes like this: on the stage you really need the sound of steel on steel and aluminum just doesn't have it. In the movies you can add it in post production. Part 2, at least according to MacAsh, is that the movie people are much more reluctant to use steel where there is a possibility of a major star getting hurt.

Personally, I like the steel. The threat of actually getting hurt gives me that extra 'edge' and makes me really concentrate on what I'm doing. Plus, as I tell my students, any time you pick up a weapon and walk into a fight with it, you can get killed. Martial arts are inherantly dangerous and the risk is always there. Some of the 'sanitised' things they are teaching today, where bruises are looked down on as bad, makes a mockery of martial arts. As sensai used to say 'Pain is the best teacher'.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

The Aluminium is also lighter and therefor they don't "Tire as quickly" take after take. When I did North & South Book Two, we ran up and down the same hill for two days. Needless to say there was a revolt on the 3rd. Same with RoboCop and RoboCop II. Same scene, all day long changing cameras, etc. Almost can't blame them from a production stand point. Steel on steel doesn't transfer as well to audio as just adding it in later.

A classic example is the Gene Kelley scene in "Singing in the Rain." Tap shoes don't work in water. So all his taps were overdubbed back in the soundbooth later. By Carol Hanney who was a staff dancer with the studio (and my friends mom).

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

Much of theatrical/movie swordsmanship involves edge-on-edge contact. What can and does happen with steel edges is that they get nicked. This can produce cool sparks, but it can also send little shards of steel flying off at high velocity.

Not a good thing to land in the eye of of your umpteen million dollar star.

Good aluminum, however, compresses under the same conditions, so no shards.

If you look closely at the sword that Will Turner sticks into the doorlatch of his shop, the blade is aluminum. I have aluminum versions made of almost every sword used by anyone in a film, not just actors. They are a much safer alternative in movies,and as stated, almost all sound is added in post-production, so that any dialog can be isolated. Even spurs don't jingle jangle jingle til post-production. I also have rubber versions of swords made for horse falls, etc.

Deacon, I was one of Hayes' Rangers in North & South 1 (Swayze pulls my Paterson after I'm shot.) Made props for 2.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.