Charleston Maritime Festival

Longarm

Chareston, SC is having it's 2nd Annual Maritime Festival on June 17th-20th. The festival is to help Chrleston and all of South Carolinia to remember it's rich maritime history which has long been neglected. The festival will also be used to help build "The Spirit Of South Carolinia" a two masted schooner based on a pilot schooner built here in 1879. Belive me we need all the help we can get. I should know because I vollunteer at the shipyard from time to time until construction stopped due to a lack of funding. The Spirit is to be used as a teaching ship to give kids from SC a chance to sail and work on a real wooden sailing ship. It will also be used as a goodwill ambasador ship to other ports and countries, not to mention representing SC in the biannual Chareslston to Bermuba sail race May 2005. More info later as I get it.

For more info go toCharleston Maritime Festival. OR call Jeff Irvine Festival Manager at 843-722-1030.

I hope to see some of you there if my work schedual will permit me to volunteer at least one or two of the days.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Aye, Longarm, I'm going to mark this as a "possibility".

I was in Charleston for the first time just a few weeks ago; didn't get to see or do anything nautical, but was mightily impressed with the surviving colonial architecture.

We definitely want to go back there (the Pyrate Queen was born there, but doesn't remember it, since she left as an infant).

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Let me know if ye can make it I'ld be glade to meet up with a fellow pirate. I'm not sure if me new job will give me those days off, but the boss is alright so I doubt that there will be much of a problem. I'm looking to get back into volunteering at the "Spirit of South Carolina" anyway I'ld be glade to show ye and your Pirate Queen around.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to add some of the events scheduled for the festival.

Tall Ship Tours, Family Boat Building

Model Sailboats, Wooden Boat Exhibits

Free Sail Boat Rides, Childrens Activities

Artist Market, Shipyard Tours

Marine Exhibits, Live Music

Low-Country Foods, Evening Parties

Some of the ships attending are: USCG Eagle, The Pride of Baltimore, Mircea from Romania, Cuauhtemoc from Mexico, and Gloria from Columbia.

For more information on the tall ships contact: Jeanne Aichele at 843-805-3052 or e-mail her at jaichele@charlestowncvb.com.

If you want more use the link posted already. If you visit The Spirit of South Carolina you can learn more about the Chareston to Bermuda V sail race on May 14, 2005

• 2 weeks later...

Longarm, we'd already booked for the Morehead City Pirate Festival - now cancelled, in part - but rather than waste the airline reservations, we're going there anyway. Sounds like there's a lot to do in Morehead, but Charleston sounds better! Alas, can't make both, but we'll surely consider Charleston as "the thing" fer 2005!

Capt. William :unsure:

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

• 4 weeks later...

The Charleston Maritime Festival is coming soon, so I wanted to post an update of some of the events they'll be having.

Art: There are at least 21 artist signed up to show their work so far. An artist's reception will take place the Thursday before the festival.

Children's Area: They'll have wood boat kit's, face painting, a pirate and his wench entertaining(who could this be any idea's? and no it is not me.) and a jump castle.

Exhibits-Marine: 15,10x10 tents with displays for sailing schools, wooden boat models, apparel, kayaks, ect. will be set-up.

Exhibits-Wood Boats: 35 wooden boats are commited to be on display thru-out the festival grounds.

Family Boat Building: 4 families have committed to this and they are still looking for more. ( Go to the web site listed earlier to find out more)

Sunday will be the launch date for these boats.

Food: Main concession tent with bascics, a seafood tent, a crepe stand, Italian ice carts, and other roaming carts with who knows what will be there.

Merchandise: T-shirts, posters, tote-bags, ect. will be sold thru-out the festival.

Music: Such bands as Killer, Whales and the Blue Dog's will be on hand. Some of this preformances may requier a $5 ticket to attend. They are also looking for mucicians to play during the festival. These people will have to be willing to play for whatever the collect in there hat, but it may worth it.

The Spirit Of South Carolinia Shipyard: The shipyard will be open to visitors during the festival. Mark Bayne the master shipwright and his crew will be working on the Spirit so that vistors can see what goes into building a tall ship.

Waterfront: A tent will be set-up on the boardwalk so people can sign up for the daily activities such as, free sail boat rides, rowing a traditional Charleston Mosquito gig or try their hand at rowing a Dragon Boat, there will also be remote controled sailboats on hand for display and demostrations.

Tall Ships: Last but not least, at least 10 tall ships, from around the world, have commited to participate in the festival. They will be open for tours for visitors while in town. On the Monday after the festival the grand sailout will begin a approximitly 10 o'clock that morning.

This is what I've recieved so far about the festival. For more information try the web-site listed previously. This thing has the potential to really become something big any and all help or suggestions would be welcome. So forget going to grandma's, play hookie for work or just drop what your doing and come to Charleston and support this festival and have a great time to boot.

Children's Area: They'll have wood boat kit's, face painting, a pirate and his wench entertaining(who could this be any idea's? and no it is not me.) and a jump castle.

Aye, shipmate.....

It's me and me darlin what's listed as entertainers. Hope to see ya there !!!!

>>>>> Cascabel

Cascabel, that be great news. Would ye be bringing that toy box of yours, the one with the blunderbeast and all?

Hello again Longarm!

Myself and my fellow Pyrates of the Coast bud, Olaf, will also be attending. Hope to see you there.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

Sorry for not answering sooner, tech problems. Let's see Casabel, Master Studley, Olaf and the Pyrates of the Coast, this is shaping up to be a very interestin festival! :huh::huh::huh:

I'll be attending the last volunteer meeting before the festival tomorrow, and I'll try and update you here. Can't wait to meet you all here, Charleston could use a few more pirates. Things can get pretty dull around here sometimes. A few good pirates should shke things up a bit. See ya soon! :huh::huh::huh:

Aye, I wish i could make it out to that one, I have to stay behind this weekend.. :rolleyes:

I will miss playing with your toys Cascabel ;) (the blunderbuss is me favorite)

Gabby

Aye, Darlin', I'll be touchin' off a round for ye !!!!!

Arrr, I were there. Never saw a pyrate. Lotsa beauteous tall ships, lotsa beauteous womens, lots and lots o' rum, but never a pyrate. :ph34r:

What day were you there? Cascabel was there and his Lady and both be hard ta miss. Sorry I am you missed them I hope you'll come back again. Hopefully we'll have more pirates for ye. I need to upgrade me own garb to many people were asking why I wasn't I out being piratical .

Cascabel it was great ta meet ya mate. I hope ta be seeing you and yer darlin again soon.

Grendal, me, Cascabel, and some of me shipmates (no names fer now) at The Spirit Of South Carolina were talking about how best to take her after she be put in the water. Would ye be interested in such an excursion? Dates fer sailing keep changing so thar be plenty of time fer planing.

• 1 month later...