If'n ye be a rich pirate...

What color coat do you think a wealthy pirate would be most likely to wear?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What color coat do you think a wealthy pirate would be most likely to wear?

• Fleet Blue
    • Scarlet Red
    • Wine/Burgandy
    • Forest Green

Goin' to port to gather me up some more piratey coats. Seein' as ye likes to plunder me ship (and I likes to be plundered) I thought I'd get an opinion of what ye all likes.

An' I also like to give a yo ho ho and a bottle of rum to all ye scurvy dogs that placed yer bets on me last bit o' cargo. B):huh:B)

B)

291681265_m.jpg Drink Up Me Harties Yo Ho!

If'n I be a rich pirate, I would own a coat of every color. Black for sneaking in at night. Red for a bold frontal daylight attack. Blue for enchanting the lads at Tortuga and Green for St. Patty's day and Mardi Gras. B):huh:B)

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Me, I'd say a deep blue (though I'd probably still stick with dark brown) for normal everyday wear, but methinks a wealthy pirate'd be more likely to choose something like red most of the time. (though a different color for different times is brilliant! or maybe even for different moods.. oh the possibilities..)

"Dum Spiro Spero"- "While I breathe, I hope"

I went wif blue even though I might prefer black fer everyday wear! But I think that there may just be too MUCH black in me costume... :huh:

If'n I were a RICH pirate... I'd want a flashier color than black anyway. I wan' the other pirates ter spot me on board me ship and cry, "There be blue-coated Lady Wolf!" 'R a dark red may be nice as well. "Bloody Wolf"... I like it.

Captain Wolfy Wench

In the Rennie world, medium blue was a cheap color; even the servants wore it. Tan or linen color was also cheap and used by commoners.

Gray was also cheap, but true black was expensive, since it faded so quick.

Purple was not that expensive to have, since its gotten from berries, shells, and flowers. The purple thing was mostly for theater, because the Romans and Greeks used it for Emperors. Its more just very identifable as a power color.

Red was also expensive, because it was hard to get and keep that color. White was also expensive, since it got dirty so fast.

from The Tangled Web clothing source:

Colors were muted to our modern eyes, comparatively deep or bright tones were taxed and expensive to purchase. Colors that might be expected are earth tones: browns, yellows, golds, bronze & orange. Greens and blues were also worn (remember muted-no electric blue!). The color blue obtained from woad (cheap) was often used to dye apprentices' clothing, so it was avoided by those with social pretensions. (Incidentally, the process of making woad dye involved fermentation so unpleasant to the nose that Elizabeth banned it in the city limits.)

Middle class olors would be deeper greens and blues, richer earth tones, crimson, wine reds, oranges, yellows and some black—more often as trim or stitchery. They would be able to have matching wardrobe pieces.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

A true, colorfast, scarlet red was very expensive. It came from an insect called cochineal and it to hundreds of insects to produce the dye. It was, however, very colorfast. The other scarlet red dye that was madder. That is what the British redcoats were dyed with. It OTOH is not very colorfast and that 's the dye that fades easily.

Last year when the curator was clearing out the madder bed in the herb garden she gave it to the local Revolutionar War group so they could dye their coats authentically.

A cheap blue could be made with woad but a far more vibrant (and desired) hue could be made with indigo which was expensive till the late 18th c. Some shades of purple could be made cheaply but the royal purple came from a Mediterranean shellfish (forget the name) and was very expensive.

I'll have to look over my natural dye material but I htink there was a recipe for true black that wasn't that expensive.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

:::looks at current frock coat:: Well, mine be black... black as the darkest night without the silvery moon. :: evil grinz:: Though... it be trimmed with silver/gold/blue lacing & antiqued fancy metal buttons.

I do plan to make m'self another frock coat, a bit fancier than m' black coat. It'll be scarlet or crimson red. ::evil grinz::

If any other coats or waistcoats... depends upon which material capture my eyes... & there be a few out there now that are rather nice. :) Even some material at the local Hancock fabrics to make a rather lovely sack back gown.

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Well I not be a rich pyrate, but I gots me many coats.

Me best coat that a darst not wear when combat is seen is a loverly royal blue velvet affair.

I also owns me 2 different brown coats, a black coat, and a burgundy one.

:huh:

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

:huh::huh::huh:

Must be a mighty fine pair o' stockings there, Redd! :huh: The frock be one item, but t' have stockings! Oooooh, ye be a mighty one indeed! :) Do they have a fancy design upon the side of 'em? Hmm?

A good selection there, too, Mr. Young. :)

I love adornments as well. Jewelry, beads, fancy trim.... anyone wear such finery that only Kings & Queens wear? Hmm? Something fancy you may have stolen from a ship or bought with plunder? :huh:

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!