Eclipse

First post in awhile, the realities of modern life have kept me away far too long, but alas, I knew where I needed to chart a course for the following question….

I’ve already attempted some online searches, but to little or no avail, but my question is this: What did Pirates or Mariners in General during the ‘Golden Age’ think of eclipses? Were they superstitious about them? Was there any folklore associated with them at this time? What was their level of understanding about them? Did the average sea Captain understand what an eclipse actually was? If anyone has any information or can point me in a direction for further reading, I would be most grateful! 

Thank ye Brethren! 

Edited by Picaroon Lagoon

“A fellow with no wish to be governed, inspected, indoctrinated, preached at, taxed, stamped, measured, judged, condemned, hanged, or shot.”

1 hour ago, Stynky Tudor said:

that is a great question.

Thanks mate! 

“A fellow with no wish to be governed, inspected, indoctrinated, preached at, taxed, stamped, measured, judged, condemned, hanged, or shot.”

8 hours ago, Picaroon Lagoon said:

Thanks mate! 

Considering by the golden age, people/nation states were routinely circumnavigation the globe - I would think some level of education/critical thinking was being employed.

I don't think this link answers your question, it's more about how peoples viewed/interpenetrated eclipses in the 1700s.

https://petercorneliushoof.blogspot.com/2017/08/eclipses-in-1700s_19.html?fbclid=IwAR0SQgy3_XfOu4BD85zX-cwbcK433qHHiNafG_bC611f9ENl6wODpXaAJXk_aem_ARJ6Ub9kJCHOWs6femnPq1dlPpmX7MrfOOSwhyNfWwx44MmJeNzM4vOcztUj46FaCeDbGTvxvxIpYTGh-T_XnDem 

Oh, what a wonderful topic! I'd venture to say all the above!

Colonial Williamsburg put out content in regards to the understanding of the celestial heavens during the 18th century. Just the little bit of graphics they shared was so beyond fascinating of detailed artwork documenting planets and people fascinated with the stars. From navigational tools all around the globe to the Prague Clock Tower, surely some educated sailors were like many of their peers and Aristocrats who cultivated a hobby in Astronomy and all things related to the celestial heavens. It certainly would be interesting to know how much other cultures influenced some sailors when it comes to beliefs and superstitions of celestial occurrences.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Townsends will share something about this topic or even the topic of Astronomy in general sometime. 

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!