The stairways along the Thames

madPete

I ran across this site and the pictures just ooze with history...

https://spitalfieldslife.com/2016/05/08/watermens-stairs-in-wapping/

Watermen’s Stairs In Wapping

May 8, 2016

by the gentle author

L2080818.jpg?resize=600%2C906

Wapping Old Stairs

I need to keep reminding myself of the river. Rarely a week goes by without some purpose to go down there but, if no such reason occurs, I often take a walk simply to pay my respects to the Thames. Even as you descend from the Highway into Wapping, you sense a change of atmosphere when you enter the former marshlands that remain susceptible to fog and mist on winter mornings. Yet the river does not declare itself at first, on account of the long wall of old warehouses that line the shore, blocking the view of the water from Wapping High St.

The feeling here is like being offstage in a great theatre and walking in the shadowy wing space while the bright lights and main events take place nearby. Fortunately, there are alleys leading between the tall warehouses which deliver you to the waterfront staircases where you may gaze upon the vast spectacle of the Thames, like an interloper in the backstage peeping round the scenery at the action. There is a compelling magnetism drawing you down these dark passages, without ever knowing precisely what you will find, since the water level rises and falls by seven metres every day – you may equally discover waves lapping at the foot of the stairs or you may descend onto an expansive beach.

These were once Watermen’s Stairs, where passengers might get picked up or dropped off, seeking transport across or along the Thames. Just as taxi drivers of contemporary London learn the Knowledge, Watermen once knew the all the names and order of the hundreds of stairs that lined the banks of the Thames, of which only a handful survive today.

Arriving in Wapping by crossing the bridge in Old Gravel Lane, a short detour to the east would take me to Shadwell Stairs but instead I go straight to the Prospect of Whitby where a narrow passage to the right leads to Pelican Stairs. Centuries ago, the Prospect was known as the Pelican, giving its name to the stairs which have retained their name irrespective of the changing identity of the pub. These worn stone steps connect to a slippery wooden stair leading to wide beach at low tide where you may enjoy impressive views towards the Isle of Dogs.

West of here is New Crane Stairs and then, at the side of Wapping Station, another passage leads you to Wapping Dock Stairs. Further down the High St, opposite the entrance to Brewhouse Lane, is a passageway leading to a fiercely-guarded pier, known as King Henry’s Stairs – though John Roque’s map of 1746 labels this as the notorious Execution Dock Stairs. Continue west and round the side of the river police station, you discover Wapping Police Stairs in a strategic state of disrepair and beyond, in the park, is Wapping New Stairs.

It is a curious pilgrimage, but when you visit each of these stairs you are visiting another time – when these were the main entry and exit points into Wapping. The highlight is undoubtedly Wapping Old Stairs with its magnificently weathered stone staircase abutting the Town of Ramsgate and offering magnificent views to Tower Bridge from the beach. If you are walking further towards the Tower, Aldermans’ Stairs is worth venturing at low tide when a fragment of ancient stone causeway is revealed, permitting passengers to embark and disembark from vessels without wading through Thames mud.

L2080948.jpg?resize=600%2C906

Shadwell Stairs

L2080749.jpg?resize=600%2C906

Pelican Stairs

L2080867.jpg?resize=600%2C906

Pelican Stairs at night

L2080872.jpg?resize=600%2C957

View into the Prospect of Whitby from Pelican Stairs

L2080736.jpg?resize=600%2C906

New Crane Stairs

L2080754.jpg?resize=600%2C906

Wapping Dock Stairs

L2080756.jpg?resize=600%2C906

Execution Dock Stairs, now known as King Henry’s Stairs

L2080761.jpg?resize=600%2C906

Entrance to Wapping Police Stairs

L2080763.jpg?resize=600%2C906

Wapping Police Stairs

L2080765.jpg?resize=600%2C940

Metropolitan Police Service Warning: These stairs are unsafe!

L2080775.jpg?resize=600%2C906

Wapping New Stairs with Rotherithe Church in the distance

L2080779.jpg?resize=600%2C906

Light in Wapping High St

L2080819.jpg?resize=600%2C906

Wapping Pier Head

L20807971.jpg?resize=600%2C906

Entrance to Wapping Old Stairs

L2080803.jpg?resize=600%2C906

Wapping Old Stairs

L2080888.jpg?resize=600%2C906

Passageway to Wapping Old Stairs at night