CLOTHING: STEP ONE - SHOES

1721 will be a historic event in and of that year in history, so we need to build kit and clothing from the ground up. So...step one is shoes. We'll talk about each step, but shoes are first.

This is the thread to talk about who has them, who needs them and how to get them, so sound off if your feet are clad or unclad. If you have some for sale, trade, loan or as a gift, please let us know sizes and details. Pictures are always a plus.

(Originally posted by William on Facebook)

Currently, the arguably best place to get shoes for our period is Foxblade Trading (also operate as Re-enactment-Shoes) out of the UK. I've had two different pairs of shoes from these guys, both have served me well, and are still in action.

http://www.re-enactment-shoes.co.uk/

For men, the S1 appears best, although the S1A open side latchets or S1C could serve for those who do earlier stuff as well (and assuming the 1721 will be flexible on these details).

For women, the S9L or S9AL appear the best to my eyes.

However Historic Stony Hollow are selling them, their easiest approach vector is through Facebook.  I have a pair (I bought as a backup. as my current ones are getting old), but have yet to wear them.

https://www.facebook.com/historicstonyhollowllc/posts/pfbid02Eguxi2WNbMGBmFxVGBNMdcs9Z6TyWbE1rpMbFJGH1TTYg2X6tFsNFTXjqZju1DPil

American Duchess carry latchet shoes, which definitely are a little on the early side for 1721, but I would rather have someone in good quality "just off" footwear, than not have them attend for fear of not having "good enough" gear.

For men, 4 colours available (one being sold out as of this posting)
https://www.americanduchess.com/collections/men-latchets/mens
For women, either the "Mary" or the "Nell" style could serve with the above caveat

https://www.americanduchess.com/collections/men-latchets/mens

Michael_banner.jpg

Who needs shoes for this event and what size?

We're thinking that if you sound off with the need and your size, others may chime in with shoes they have for sale. We can also pass on specific links if something comes up on eBay, Etsy, or ?

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 5:26 PM, madPete said:

For those needing shoes... on the facebook forum "Authentic Pirate Living History 1690-1730" this popped up...

These are good looking shoes and at a great price!

Has anyone got a pair of these? I'd be interested in a review.

12 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

Has anyone got a pair of these? I'd be interested in a review.

I have a pair, but haven't worn them yet. It was a proactive purchase for when my current ones wear out.

But visually, they seem as good as any others I've owned at a comparable price point.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

What are general opinions on this style? It's based off finds from the Mary Rose, so documented to much earlier, and they are listed as "colonial Williamsburg" approved which would be later, (but I am not seeing on what they document them to be accurate to their setting), but that doesn't mean that the difference would be split to find these in 1721.

My problem is the block heel that is on most of the shoes here and that I've found might not work great with my weird feet. Something flatter, or at least closer to flatter would probably accommodate my insoles better. 

Also something that dates to earlier would be a way to maximize use of investment as I could use it for other periods as well

I've also found a pair on Etsy that are based off the Vasa finds, which again is early, but they are least have closed sides, that might suit but they are coming from overseas so I'm not as inclined towards purchasing them.

Screenshot_20240220-161947.png.fe9f0712189b35fd9b75e43d5298f855.png

Screenshot_20240220-160519.png.763b9891778046c6b35793ca57dcb0d3.png

On 2/21/2024 at 5:36 AM, Tudor MercWench Smith said:

What are general opinions on this style?

These look great to me.

Talking with William (though not to speak for him), we would rather folks wore something earlier rather than later then period.

From a purist perspective, these are pretty early. (ideal for 1580s through 1640s, maybe a little later\earlier by 20ish-30ish years). Although I used a similar pair at Searles Raid (1668) one year because I had worn through my later period shoes. And they certainly are a lot more comfy.

Regarding later shows and bock heels, is it the higher (1-1/2+ inch heel) that bothers? Or would a lower 1/2 to 3/4 inch heel be tolerable? I have gotten later 17th ceentury style shoes perviously with that 1/2-3/4" (ideal for 1660s through 1690s) which would be closer for a 1720s impression, although finding those shoes can be very hit or miss (or more often miss).

But the shoes Stoney Hollow are currently selling, have only a 1 inch (maybe 1-1/8 inch) heel, which isn't too intolerable. They are certainly a lot more comfortable than the 1-1/2 to 2 inch heels that most of the early 18th century shoes being sold have.

Michael_banner.jpg

On 2/22/2024 at 2:23 PM, michaelsbagley said:

Regarding later shows and bock heels, is it the higher (1-1/2+ inch heel) that bothers? Or would a lower 1/2 to 3/4 inch heel be tolerable? I have gotten later 17th ceentury style shoes perviously with that 1/2-3/4" (ideal for 1660s through 1690s) which would be closer for a 1720s impression, although finding those shoes can be very hit or miss (or more often miss).

It's honestly a combo of height and shape. I can deal with higher height if it's a narrower heel (perhaps weirdly) or can deal with a square block heel if it's pretty low, maybe a half inch. 

I too figured that they were much too early and wrote them off as an option but then read that they were Williamsburg approved and that got me wondering.....I still haven't been able to find any sources that would place them that late so I wonder on what grounds they put their stamp on them, as I feel like they would have some kind of source 

14 hours ago, michaelsbagley said:

"Williamsburg approved"?

I could see Jamestown approved (which is just down the road), but I'm incredibly surprised to see Williamsburg approved.

I know, RIIIIGHT?!?

Now, that tag of "Williamsburg approved" is self proclaimed on the vendor site....but it is a pretty well known reputable craftsman that I know many people who have purchased from and been pleased, so I don't think it's self congratulatory false advertising. 

The only thing I could think of would be if Williamsburg was indulging in the "it's placeacle to pre-period so it's allowable", but I was always under the impression that they were a bit more of sticklers than that.

Williamsburg have see-sawed a little over the years on quality.

Their reputation remains consistent despite periods of time it quite frankly doesn't deserve it.

I haven't been in 2 years, and when I was there last, it seemed it was still undergoing covid recovery (they lost a lot of staff to layoffs, and hadn't been able to rehire to previous staffing levels). So my last experience wasn't exactly great. There was enough quality to really even judge quality fairly.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Mary Diamond said:

Newest shoes were delivered yesterday, and are quite comfortable! Supplied by Foxblade, with fast turnaround.

IMG_2569.jpeg

The mens shoes look like the same maker as mine. They have worn well so far and have to be 6-7 years old.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!