Auction before the Mast at Fort Gaines

madPete

just trying to get the word out so you have time to think about it!

Per William on Facebook...

Auction Before the Mast
We're planning an after hours auction/fundraiser on Saturday the 16th. A traditional auction before the mast involved the selling of a perished sailor's goods to other crew members, so we'd love donations in that ilk. If you have kit, clothing and other items you'd like to donate, please contact me privately about adding to the sea chest and set aside some money to support the Fort for supporting us!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 3 weeks later...

I was going through things, and I found a 99% completed shift/smock (women's undergarment).

I'm having trouble understanding the find, as it is pretty small, so does not seem like something I was making for wife and made too small (I own to missing the mark on sizing rarely, but this one is way off)... but I don't have any memory of undertaking the project for anyone else.

I'll be finishing the last couple of inches of seaming over the next day or two, and will bring it with me for the auction. It should fit a thin woman of average height (or a bit shorter) in the size 0 to size 4 range, and is more of a 18th century design than late 17th c. 100% linen (except the drawstring  which I think is cotton, but could be replaced if the potential buyer is that specific in their needs).

I might have some other items... but for now, this will be the Bagley's fairly "on-brand" (but slightly off-brand) contribution.

20230831_154023.jpg.97ee4cc738af57ffa3914555e8f7f9a3.jpg

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

12 hours ago, madPete said:

I've heard of the hat swap game, and sometimes people wander home with the wrong hat, but... 😜

Actually good to see woman's items too!

LOL....

Naw, this shift is definitely my work and has never been worn. It just baffles me that either:
A] I made it for someone as a gift and forgot who

or

B] Made it for my wife and was that way-off on sizing. (I mean we all make mistakes, but when I mess up, it is usually a little too snug, or a bit too big.... this "mistake" if that is what it is, just falls outside of my margin of error)

Michael_banner.jpg

Bringing a few things for the auction, have them all packed. But I heard DB made homemade Apple Pie, the original Fort Taylor recipe....ok...so I have sampled.. I know it's the right recipe...he's "considering " donating a bottle of this magic elixir...we need to work on him....😜

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...