Fly and Camp Experience

On 8/10/2023 at 7:47 PM, madPete said:

Chris is local and has offered to sell us a couple cans so we dont have to transport.

Excellent. Do we know how much Chris will be selling said black powder for? I assume we're talking 3F, it's been ages since I purchased black powder.

Good Afternoon Massacre Island Folks!!

In the event that some or all of your kit requires shipping, Fort Taylor Pyrates will be traveling by Truck and Trailer, leaving on Tuesday September 12 and returning Monday September 18. We are willing to accept shipments and drive gear to the event and then return ship if labeled and prepared.  If you would like assistance to getting anything to the event, please drop me a text at (812) 290-6056 and I will talk to individuals to make arrangements. If you wish to ship to the address that I provide, please MARK THE BOX ATTENTION MOMMA RATSEY. That way we will just pack it in the trailer and not open it looking for other expected shipments.

We will also be bringing Bamboo Poles for the camp. We will be stopping by the Bamboo Lady's home within the next week and I will post photos of what is available. We can take up to 12' lengths in the trailer and plan to bring as much as we can reasonably carry.  The Bamboo is being donated to the event, and you may take the poles home for your kit after the event.

The Fort Taylor Pyrates will be arriving to Massacre Island on Wednesday night and will be on island to assist starting Thursday Morning.  As we are not camping, we are willing to assist as needed to make things easier for those in camp. As always, if you need anything or we can assist in any way, give me a call or text. (812) 290-6056 aka: the Momma Hotline. 

Much love to all, looking forward to seeing our pyrate family again and making new friends! 🥰

• 3 weeks later...

Proof of concept tested successfully. Added some forged heavy duty hooks to the uprights for me wedge tent. 

Both the uprights and ridge pole are segmented (hard) wood with steel sheathing.

I can transport this setup in my Honda (sedan) and sleep in a hammock, by pretty much just adding two short guylines to the front and back of my tent.

20230903_125244.jpg

M'A D'dogge and Billy deserve a lot of credit for being the source (to me) for this idea.

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

21 minutes ago, madPete said:

I'm amazed you got that to work!

I imagine it puts some stress on the ridgepole connectors too, but between those and the ropes/stakes looks like you got it covered...

If Clint and Billy (and others) can make it work, and usually with pine (or other softwood) poles, I figure I can do it with hardwood and sturdy steel pipe joiners.

My biggest worry was the hooks being sturdy enough, well and the hammock clews being too long. I still need to shorten the clews another inch or two for optimization... but everything else is great.

Michael_banner.jpg

I finally found my tent in one of the outbuildings on my property only to discover that a leak in the roof formed during the winter and let water in right on top of my tent.  I was tempted to cut it up for a bag, but now I'm most tempted to fix the holes and bring it as is.  It looks like period canvas that was stored poorly aboard ship and has been mended many times.  Yes I know.  I'm crazy and a nerd, but I'm still tempted to save it.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

17 hours ago, William Brand said:

I finally found my tent in one of the outbuildings on my property only to discover that a leak in the roof formed during the winter and let water in right on top of my tent.  I was tempted to cut it up for a bag, but now I'm most tempted to fix the holes and bring it as is.  It looks like period canvas that was stored poorly aboard ship and has been mended many times.  Yes I know.  I'm crazy and a nerd, but I'm still tempted to save it.

Do you need a loaner tent?

I still have at least one of the loaners remaining from the years of running the camp at Put-in-Bay. (And yes poles are included, although I'd need to verify I can fit those in the car)

Michael_banner.jpg

43 minutes ago, michaelsbagley said:

Do you need a loaner tent?

I still have at least one of the loaners remaining from the years of running the camp at Put-in-Bay. (And yes poles are included, although I'd need to verify I can fit those in the car)

I just might!  I'll let you know soon.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg