lantern hangers or no?

With all these quality lanterns from Rob Gorrel and elsewhere, they need a deserving place to hang.

William and I decided we might need some lantern hangers. One problem, finding period paintings or references to lantern hangers is nearly non existent.  If anyone has references please post!

So we asked ourselves what else would they have, that they might use to hang a lantern? William came up with the idea of a cannon linstock. It has a spike on the end to stick in the ground and two curly brackets for the actual slowmatch.

Now period linstocks are not cheap, but I did come up with an alternative by making my own. so we will have a couple "Lantern Hangers" which serve a double purpose...

These based are on 1 1/8 inch dowels. The local hardwood store was out of oak dowels in that size, so I had improvise for the prototype. but it turned out well... (The last photo is a similar period linstock). If they ever get Oak back in stock I'll replace the prototype...

20230625_092623.jpg

20230625_092626.jpg

20230410_101926.jpg

20230625_092617.jpg

sample01.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 1 month later...

A while back we seemed to be having weekly conversations about them, but the topic fell off as more important things needed to addressed.

What's the status of our linstock/lantern holders? How many do we have and where are they?

Wow. I thought I posted another pic of the 2nd completed one last week. I dont see it here tho. Maybe I put it in the wrong thread...

I was searching for a specific size Oak dowel, which I never found, so I got one a bit larger and whittled it down for the Metal ends.

We have two completed. I was going to ship these to Chris along with the Cannon implements for Brien's friend. Was just waiting til we were a bit closer to the date to ship them...oak2.jpg.9f414259ce534b293ce5963d451c7932.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

18 minutes ago, madPete said:

I thought I posted another pic of the 2nd completed...

Not a problem, I was curious as to the status of the other ones being made (not by you) - those came out beautiful by the way.

I just talked with William, he told me that no one else came through. ☹️

LOL and I never made them before! There's enough parts to make 1 more, but another one wont fit in the box for the implements. Maybe I can assemble it there if I take the ends off and fit it in one of the duffels.

I'm not sure how to get them back unless we stop at the post office which might be tight on Monday morning before the flight.

Maybe we could auction 1 off in the dead man's auction and then dis-assemble the other two for duffel bag If I'm not over the weight limit.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

I couldn't be happier about the variety.  Between the linstocks made by Master Chaaps and the bamboo arriving with the Fort Taylor Pirates, we'll have a great mix of careening/marketplace style improvisation.  It also mixes up the light placement to provide low and high points of lighting for more atmosphere.  

Thanks to everyone helping out on this front!

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg