Geneology, Pirates in yer tree?

Couple 'o years back I started trackin' down me ancestors. Had always heard me Grammaw sayin' we was Scottish, Irish and native Indian. Well... found Scottish, English, Cherokee and a large portion from the Netherlands/Bavaria. Not an Irishman to be found. Usin' the tools provided by Wikitree and Ancestry I's been able to dig up several stories of piratical interest.  The earliest occurs in 1499 when Breton Pirate Colyn Dolphin ransoms a Sir Harry Stradling for 1 or 2 thousand marks (depending on the source). Sir Harry is 17 degrees away so It's just an interesting tale. Fast forward to the mid 1600's and the Scottish/English ancestors are gettin' deported and leavin' the Empire for the Colonies. Mid 1700's river pirate Samuel Mason pops up as a 13th cousin 6 times removed (wot the bloody 'ell do all that mean?). Come the Rev War and me 6th great grandfather is in the sacking of Ft Ticonderoga in 1775. Quite certain King George would have considered that an act of Piracy. In Sept of 1780 a newspaper puts another ancestor and his son on board the prison ship HMS Jersey.  I finds a certain Phineas T Barnum to be a 4th cousin 6 times removed (Yeah, THAT Barnum LOL) and a 20th cousin 4 times removed  in Robert Louis Stevenson.

So, Who's lurkin' in yer tree?

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

I was just this week wondering about my own ancestry and what sorts of scallawags I may be kin to. This is something I need to look into. 

Thank you for sharing your own findings. Quite interesting indeed! 

“A fellow with no wish to be governed, inspected, indoctrinated, preached at, taxed, stamped, measured, judged, condemned, hanged, or shot.”

8 hours ago, Morgan Dreadlocke said:

...a 13th cousin 6 times removed (wot the bloody 'ell do all that mean?).

Removes are generations. So this person is six generations after the person that is your 13th cousin. You and your 13th cousin would have to go back 14 generations to find a common ancestor.

I highly recommends the Wikitree.com site. It's free, fairly easy to use, and has forums to ask questions on how to do. The few names and dates I had quickly linked me into my ancestors. Most of the work had already been done and documented by others.  It DO get a bit squirrely when there's several generations of sons bein' named after their grandfathers and Jr's 2 and 3. 

It's a big step up from that useless book at Celtic Fests where people look up their "Coat of Arms" and everyone seems to have a connection to the Duke of Devonshire. 

Thankee Duchess. That removed thing has been drivin' me nuckin futz and at my age it ain't a long drive.

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.