The Traveling Yard 2023 - Information and Sign Ups

Duchess

Imagine yourself walking out the door, an eclectic handkerchief knotted smartly around your neck. Or maybe tied fashionably around your hair. Tucked in a pocket. Or wrapped on your wrist.  The compliments pour in and you can say "Thanks! I made this!"

This is your golden opportunity to share in a Pyracy Pub creative effort. Go on the account with us and receive a hand printed handkerchief when the booty is shared out.

What is expected of you?

Step 1: Sign up by July 14th.

Step 2: Create a nautical or piracy related design as a printing block or plate. (This is the real work you need to do. More resources to follow on this.)

Step 3: Send your block or plate to me (Duchess), to be received no later than September 1st.

Step 4: Wait patiently while I collect your blocks, design the overall look of the handkerchief, print them, cure them and send them out.

Step 5: Receive your handkerchief and celebrate!

FAQ:

How do I sign up?

·         PM me,Duchess by Midnight July 14th, 2023

What does this glory filled opportunity cost?

·         There is no upfront cost to you! Handkerchiefs, waterproof ink and postage of the finished scarf are being donated by me (Duchess) to this project. You may have some costs associated with procuring the medium for your printing block, any tools you might want and the postage to get the block to me.

How big or small a block should I make?

·         There is no minimum size requirement. Smaller images can be repeated as needed to fill space or create an aesthetic design.

·         There will likely be a maximum size limit, however this will be based on how many people sign up. This information will be sent to you after sign ups close.

What is the size of the final handkerchief?

·         The handkerchief blanks are 24 inches square. They are white, hemmed and all cotton. The final piece will be washable and suitable for dying if you wish to do so.

What materials can I use for a printing block?

·         You have a lot of options for what and how to carve your block/plate. For this project your material must be able to withstand shipping and printing by someone other than you, additionally I require that it not rot. Don’t send me any potatoes.

·         Piece of wood lumber or other found wood (pros: small pieces are often cast offs and easy to find, con: grain can be a pain work with, just do all your carving with the grain) Do make sure you have a flat surface to start your carving.

·         Linoleum block (pros durable, can be carved in any direction, consistent. cons: can be expensive, might want a way to hold it while carving, will need to be purchased at a set size or cut with a saw)

·         unmounted linoleum (pros, easy to cut to size, straightforward carving. cons: not rigid, easy to accidentally cut through, still kinda expensive)

·         rubber blocks for printing, ie Speedy carve (pros: pink is super easy to carve, easy to cut to size cons: kinda expensive, might be hard to source, not long term durable)

·         pink eraser blocks (pros: cheap, easy to find, easy to carve. Cons: small size, hard to hold while carving)

·         3D printing (Pros: I dunno? Fun to combine lots of skills, no hand strength needed Cons: expensive, time consuming, high learning curve)

I have a different question.

·       Post it here or PM me with your question.

On 6/20/2023 at 8:45 PM, Mary Diamond said:

Count me in! PM to be sent after this reply.

Thank you for organizing this!

On 6/20/2023 at 9:21 PM, Stynky Tudor said:

I'm in me thinks. 😋

Yes! This is going to be good!

• 3 weeks later...

If you're interested but intimidated or don't know where to start, let me know! I can offer some advice and store suggestions for supplies!

If the cost of supplies and postage is stopping you, send me a DM, I'm willing to subsidize a person or two who wants to participate but is concerned about the cost.

Let's get a few more folks in on this!

Ahoy! It would be neat to do a run of say, The Mercury flag (skull with wings) if a few crew members wanted it.... (and if someone is talented enough to carve the block out.....)  Just a thought......

A version of the Mercury bale-mark as a wood block already exists. I went with a bale-mark design rather than the flag/jolly-roger, but this is up for grabs for the asking.

I used it on some of my canvas covered camp-crates, but its sat in a drawer for the last 6 or 7 years since I made it.

One caveat, the face of this wood block may not be perfectly flat (carved in cheap lumber), so it may be easier to use by laying the fabric on top of the block rather than as a stamp.

P.S. I hve a few others in historic/semi-historic patterns I'd happily give any of those away. The only one I am definitely keeping is the one I made as a personal sigil. I've used them so much, if I ever need more, I would cut new ones for diversity rather than more duplication, so sharing these around would be a good use for them.

20230711_093341.jpg

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

1 hour ago, michaelsbagley said:

A version of the Mercury bale-mark as a wood block already exists. I went with a bale-mark design rather than the flag/jolly-roger, but this is up for grabs for the asking.

I used it on some of my canvas covered camp-crates, but its sat in a drawer for the last 6 or 7 years since I made it.

One caveat, the face of this wood block may not be perfectly flat (carved in cheap lumber), so it may be easier to use by laying the fabric on top of the block rather than as a stamp.

P.S. I hve a few others in historic/semi-historic patterns I'd happily give any of those away. The only one I am definitely keeping is the one I made as a personal sigil. I've used them so much, if I ever need more, I would cut new ones for diversity rather than more duplication, so sharing these around would be a good use for them.

20230711_093341.jpg

Ah, FB Bagsley 😄❤️😊… you have my great admiration, as always, surprising and impressing with items just casually laying about… 

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

53 minutes ago, Mary Diamond said:

Ah, FB Bagsley 😄❤️😊… you have my great admiration, as always, surprising and impressing with items just casually laying about… 

In fairness, I think I had previously offered them up.... but distractions got in the way, and I failed to follow through that time.

So I apologize to the individual I previously offered them to. Although in fairness, these should be a traveling gift, and I am certain MadPete will be better at follow up and sharing them forward than I have been for the years I have sat on them.

Michael_banner.jpg

Once received, I will share these blocks from Michael, but I think the Mercury print should be exclusive to Mercury crew members. The rest sound like they are more generic.

I would like to stamp some canvas possibly...

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

40 minutes ago, madPete said:

Once received, I will share these blocks from Michael, but I think the Mercury print should be exclusive to Mercury crew members. The rest sound like they are more generic.

I would like to stamp some canvas possibly...

Guess I started something  😉  on that note... yes I would like a hanky or two with The Mercury on it  please  😀

Let's save the Mercury one for the Mercury crew or a separate project.

But I want to point out it's a great example of a relatively straightforward way to produce a print block. So folks who are interested take note, you just need a hunk of wood and a knife!

received these from Michael today. Even a note sealed with wax and your stamp. Thank You!

Looks like Hudson Bay company, Dutch East Indies Company, Mercury, and block made for Bo's WTF company.

I'm gonna stamp some canvas and then pass them along.

balemarks.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Excellent!

It looks like it's just the four of us: Mary, Stynky, me and Pete with Michael's blocks. So let's plan on no larger than a 12"x12" design from each person, ie 25% of the available area. From a practical standpoint it will be easier for me to create an overall design if your block/image is significantly smaller than this, but if you want to roll at this max size, I can probably work with it.

If you'd like to run through some ideas, let me know. I'm available for messaging or a video chat if you want.

If anyone else thinks they might like to jump in and can get me a block by the September due date, let me know!

On 6/20/2023 at 2:56 PM, Duchess said:

to be received no later than September 1st

Excellent, I won't give it a further thought and wait until the very last second to turn my work in (just like grade school).

31 minutes ago, Stynky Tudor said:

Excellent, I won't give it a further thought and wait until the very last second to turn my work in (just like grade school).

You're not supposed to make this feel like work for me. :D

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Mary Diamond said:

Would it be ok for me to submit 4 smaller blocks of 3”x4”? I was thinking my mark, and some period scrollwork/floral themed designs.

Sure! I'll see what I can do with layouts, like I said smaller pieces might make that easier. Could you rank them so that if I can't include them all for some reason, that I make sure to include your favorite?

7 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

I'm not likely doing anything larger than a single 4"x4".

Should be just fine!

14 hours ago, Duchess said:
22 hours ago, Mary Diamond said:

Would it be ok for me to submit 4 smaller blocks of 3”x4”? I was thinking my mark, and some period scrollwork/floral themed designs.

Sure! I'll see what I can do with layouts, like I said smaller pieces might make that easier. Could you rank them so that if I can't include them all for some reason, that I make sure to include your favorite?

Excellent, thank you!

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!