Historical Records for Walking the Plank?

Allow me to preface this by stating that I’m not looking to stir the proverbial pot as it were, nor am I wishing to provoke anyone’s ire here. I myself have come across no historical record to support the practice of walking the plank, and in fact most credible sources seem to rather ubiquitously accept it as the product of literary invention rather than a historical practice. Now, I’m well aware that historical programming can be subject to errors and even, at times, grossly inaccurate, but given the ‘matter of fact’ and rather bold proclamation that historical records exist that support the practice among Pirates of making hapless victims walk the plank by the generally respected National Geographic Society (or at least an affiliate thereof) leads me to ask the greater community here if anyone is aware of any such records as Nat Geo so boldly claims? Does anyone know what records they might be speaking of; or do we simply have a rogue narrator going off script and somehow making it through the final editing process by an overzealous editorial department looking to promote sensationalism over academic integrity? What say ye brethren? 

I am basing this inquiry on the statements of the narrator in the following video between the approximate time stamps of 4:36 through 4:55    

“A fellow with no wish to be governed, inspected, indoctrinated, preached at, taxed, stamped, measured, judged, condemned, hanged, or shot.”