2023 Long Beach Pirate Invasion

madPete

July 8-9. Shore Line Aquatic Park in Long Beach CA. This is looking to be a big event with camping over the weekend and crews from all over.

We have a small crew attending with a local group and planning on lots of photos.

This event has really morphed over the years. It seemed to have a slow start after taking over after the beloved Ojai Pirate Festival. Became Belmont Pier Invasion for a while and now is in a large seaside park in Long Beach run by Order of Leviathan..

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

I'm interested to see what it has become. The last time I attended, 2009ish I think, it was a pretty sleepy event with a few shop stalls, no food to speak of, no encampments.

• 1 month later...

Couple 'o the Tucson crew went last year. Said it were pretty good. Dumbfounded that it don't take place at the Port's 'o Call village across the channel. No lack of fresh seafood there.

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

I was there in 2019 before Covid when it was on the "lighthouse island" same as this year. It was large, they had live music "Pirate Charles" and was a great chance to hobnob with people I dont see often. also met a lot of new folks. It was a bit lacking on the vendor side and I have no background on the location other than this particular site was pretty nice last time. I thought it was on the Queen Mary side last year, but I didnt go.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 5 months later...

Wow, keep me posted, That sounds like a good event to go to this Summer. It would give me enough time to help Martie with her garb, make a new tent, and get alla my Pyrate stuff back in order.

And the location is perfect... Martie has always wanted to show me Manhattan Beach where she grew up. So on our way home, we could do that.

Check the Event Calendar, it's late June this year. Manhattan Beach is like 20 minutes north of Long Beach, so you could day trip if desired. William and I camped with the Dana Point NHEF crew which was 1 of only 2? overnite crews. Although there were other camps, nearly all were day tripping.  I'm sure I can get you and Marty in the camping group, but the event plans are typically announced fairly late.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 3 weeks later...

Rats...I forgot that when I use-ta go to Pyrate events it was with either with Tails of the Seven Seas, or an event like Pip... You got on-site, set-up a cool camp, and after the tourist left there was the after hours pyrate stuff goin' on... (I guess I got spoilt') I gotta think about it, Long Beach is kinda a long way to drive just to walk around Pyrate like durin' th' day, an' then go back to a Hotel fer th' night....

Hey, mad Pete, let me know about possible camping options,(I can afford a Hotel fer th' night, but...Well ...) I'll think 'bout it sum more.

On 1/16/2024 at 8:19 PM, Patrick Hand said:

Hey, mad Pete, let me know about possible camping options,(I can afford a Hotel fer th' night, but...Well ...) I'll think 'bout it sum more.

There was just  a post for crews at Long Beach to reach out to the organizer a couple days ago, so they are starting early this year. I'll let you know when I hear anything else about camping. There's usually food and such also in camp.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!