2023 UPGRADEs & BUG REPORTS

Stynky Tudor

Today, 2023 0325 we updated the Pub's Software to version 4.7.8

That includes updates to the User Interface, Downloads & GraphQL enhancements (whatever that is).

It obviously messed with our layout - I'll get to work fixing that. Hopefully it'll be fixed within the next few days.

In the mean time everything should be working as before, but please report any connection, navigation or display issues.

Thanks

What about the ability to "Edit" one's posts?

I know that has been a tricky one, with some folks taking advantage by posting.... questionable... things and then editing their posts to make it seems like "it never happened".

But few of us are good typists, and I do like the ability to edit a post to correct for spelling/grammer.... Or to add additional info/links to further validate a point (rather than by adding extra posts).

Michael_banner.jpg

18 hours ago, michaelsbagley said:

What about the ability to "Edit" one's posts?

I know that has been a tricky one, with some folks taking advantage by posting.... questionable... things and then editing their posts to make it seems like "it never happened".

Yes that has a problem, a few people would edit or even delete their posts after getting folks riled up. And with our current political climate...

But some of us are adults here and you're not the first making this request. Let me talk it over with William and get back to you.

As someonewho edits and re-edits and re-re-edits posts (even some of the really old ones), I prefer to keep this function. If I see someone saying something questionable which has potential to be edited away, I quote it in my response. Then they can edit it all they want.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

2 hours ago, Mission said:

As someonewho edits and re-edits and re-re-edits posts (even some of the really old ones), I prefer to keep this function. If I see someone saying something questionable which has potential to be edited away, I quote it in my response. Then they can edit it all they want.

I would add, if members are doing that in bad faith they should get booted. So quoting in a response is a good idea.

Do we even allow political posts? I didnt think we did...

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

We used to have topics that bordered on politics in Beyond, although they I don't recall anything directly political. But that was in the 2000s when people weren't quite so polarized and vocal about their opinions.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Exactly why I posed the caveat... I can see strong logical reasons for both allowing or disallowing editing posts.

Spelling, grammer, adding additional info, etc are all good reason

Bad faith actors doing "dirty deletes", or deceptive edits, or what-have-you (whether habitually, or those who lose their heads seldomly, or anything in between) is something we've all seen here in the past...

I would wager both paths would prove good in some circumstances, and bad in other... So whatever the decision is, I will respect it.

Unless the unlikely coding has been done to have the "edit posts" function as a revokable "option" that can be granted or taken away based on how one uses it. But that seems like an unlikely feature to have available in forum software.

Hey Stynky, I edited this post after the fact!

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

58 minutes ago, madPete said:

...if members are doing that in bad faith they should get booted. So quoting in a response is a good idea.

From my recollection, Peeps on the Pub are a fairly friendly lot. I only recall having to ban a few folks and even then it wasn't permanent.

1 hour ago, madPete said:

Do we even allow political posts? I didnt think we did...

You know it's been a long time since I've reviewed our Rules of Engagement - at the moment I don't recall what they say, but I think you're right or correct. ;)

5 hours ago, michaelsbagley said:

Hey Stynky, I edited this post after the fact!

I had setup a feature that allowed users to edit within the first 2 or 3 hours of making their post. But several folks have asked to edit their posts days and months afterwards.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/14/2023 at 3:34 PM, Stynky Tudor said:

I got a report today that navigating the Pub had slowed to a crawl. Is anybody else having loading or navigation issues?

I had noticed it, but wasn’t sure if it was on my end…

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

7 hours ago, Mary Diamond said:

wasn’t sure if it was on my end…

Well it's one of those things that's hard to track down. From the Administrative Control Panel, it seemed to be zipping right along without issue. Visiting from different computers and devices didn't show anything on my end either.

So keep a weathered eye out and report any issue - type of problem, day, time of day, computer, phone, tablet...

I tried a couple other sites at the time and they came right back instantly. The Pub just kind of crawled and slowly delivered the images a few pixels at a time. It might have been my ISP as well, just dont know

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

13 minutes ago, madPete said:

kind of crawled and slowly delivered the images a few pixels at a time

A lot of our newer images are pretty hi-res, at least by early 2000 internut standards, but I don't think that's the cause - otherwise you would have had a problem earlier.

I hate intermittent internut issues...

If anyone experiences lag or slow load times, please chime in and let us know.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had a couple people complain about the Pub loading slow - I'm not sure what that's about exactly, but this morning I noticed a lag while it was downloading the topic/thread thumbnails. I think a lot of those image thumbnails are larger in size (KB/MB/GB) and resolution than we really need. Over the next day or so, I'm going to resize the topic/thread thumbnail images, the site will also need some time to cache the images, blah, blah, blah. Please let me know if you notice any difference.