The Traveling Yard - A fabric print exchange: Interest and Ideas

Between Duchess's thread here and conversations with Mary Diamond & Willaim Brand, I think we need to do a group block print on canvas project...

Now that I'm obsessed by the topic, I ordered some Ornamental art design books from Dover.  

4 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

Between Duchess's thread here and conversations with Mary Diamond & Willaim Brand, I think we need to do a group block print on canvas project...

Now that I'm obsessed by the topic, I ordered some Ornamental art design books from Dover.  

Tell me more!

I could see doing a couple of different options:

• A traveling yard of canvas that each participant would add a print to using fabric inks.
  • A submission of carved blocks for one person to print.
  • We could maybe do a mini virtual workshop sort of thing using speedy carve or rubber erasers to create blocks.
  • A mini print exchange
  • A block printed canvas patch exchange (where my old school punks at?)

I have ideas!

1 hour ago, Duchess said:

I could see doing a couple of different options:

• A traveling yard of canvas that each participant would add a print to using fabric inks.
  • A submission of carved blocks for one person to print.
  • We could maybe do a mini virtual workshop sort of thing using speedy carve or rubber erasers to create blocks.
  • A mini print exchange
  • A block printed canvas patch exchange (where my old school punks at?)

I love all these options.

The "Traveling Yard(s)", mail out a square yard of canvas to everyone involved, they place their stamp and send it on. At the end everyone would end up with a yard of canvas all stamped up!

The "Mini Print Exchange" or the "Block Print Patch Exchange" are all great ideas too.

Not that I propose anything as intricate or complicated, at least not for our first project, but here's some period examples.

0 Block Print Coat Detail.jpg

I don't have a date or details for this one, their site is down for maintenance.

1 1850 Europe Block Print Vest.jpg

1850 Europe Block Print Vest

2 17th c French Block Print Fabric.jpg

17th c French Block Print Fabric

3 Late 16th c Spanish Block Print Fabric.jpg

16th c Spanish Block Print Silk Damask

4 15th - 16th c Egypt ian Block Print Fabric .jpg

15th - 16th c Egyptian Block Print Fabric

5 15th -16th c Spanish Block Print Linen.jpg

15th -16th c Spanish Block Print Line

6 16th c Flemish Block Print Fabric.jpg

16th c Flemish Block Print Fabric

7 16th c Italian Renaissance 16thc Block Print Fabric.jpg

16th c Italian Renaissance 16thc Block Print Fabric

8 12th -13th c NW Europe Gold Ink Taffeta Kerk O.L.Vrouw Hemelvaart Sint-Truiden.jpg

12th -13th c NW Europe Gold Ink Taffeta

9 16th c Spainish Block Print Silk Damask.jpg

Late 16th c Spanish Block Print Fabric

1 hour ago, Mary Diamond said:

If each person were to make a unique block print design, but with a border consistent across all the blocks, we could tile them together into a larger pattern.

Originally I thought it would be cool to have a square of material, randomly stamped by each artist. But having everyone create a print block within a unifying boarder pattern - that's even better!

2 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

Originally I thought it would be cool to have a square of material, randomly stamped by each artist. But having everyone create a print block within a unifying boarder pattern - that's even better!

😄 Boarding patterns! I can just see a pirate captain holding up a football diagram board now, to a rapt audience of pirates… 😄

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

For a first go round I'd suggest just your original thought, a square of material that each person could print on. I could likely source some cotton blanks to use, similar to the one here. I would recommend that we keep the number small, say 5-10 participants for the first go round. Send all the squares together along with some fabric ink. Just given the nature of printing it is easier to print all at a time. And we'd want to make sure that the finished product is not going to wash away without forcing everyone to buy ink. I can work on putting this together as event later this summer if you like. Curate some tutorials for different ways to make a block and work up some directions on size etc. What do you think Stynky?

153553334_10158050391258634_8787147844083792832_n.jpg

2 hours ago, Duchess said:

For a first go round I'd suggest just your original thought, a square of material that each person could print on. I could likely source some cotton blanks to use, similar to the one here. I would recommend that we keep the number small, say 5-10 participants for the first go round. Send all the squares together along with some fabric ink. Just given the nature of printing it is easier to print all at a time. And we'd want to make sure that the finished product is not going to wash away without forcing everyone to buy ink. I can work on putting this together as event later this summer if you like. Curate some tutorials for different ways to make a block and work up some directions on size etc. What do you think Stynky?

153553334_10158050391258634_8787147844083792832_n.jpg

Oh my word, 😂🤣 that print!

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

2 hours ago, Duchess said:

For a first go round I'd suggest just your original thought, a square of material that each person could print on. I could likely source some cotton blanks to use, similar to the one here. I would recommend that we keep the number small, say 5-10 participants for the first go round. Send all the squares together along with some fabric ink. Just given the nature of printing it is easier to print all at a time. And we'd want to make sure that the finished product is not going to wash away without forcing everyone to buy ink. I can work on putting this together as event later this summer if you like. Curate some tutorials for different ways to make a block and work up some directions on size etc...

I've been spending way too much at the local thrift stores lately and have a source for (thick) cotton panels - just let me know what size I should make them... I assume that will depend on stamp/block print size and number of times to be printed. In the end I think it would be cool to frame and hang on the wall. 

I agree on the number of participants. Currently there's only seems to be the 3 of us, Duchess, Mary D & meself, with a possible 4th, William. And it makes complete sense for individuals to make all of their prints in one go, for consistency and quality.

And you are most welcome to create a block print lesson plan/tutorial!

A thread to collect ideas for the Traveling Yard -  A Pyracy Print Exchange project.

For right now: If you're interested in participating, chime in here. If you have ideas, share those too!

On 3/3/2023 at 9:30 AM, Stynky Tudor said:

...I ordered some Ornamental art design books from Dover.

Buying books blind over the internet/off Amazon - not the best idea. At least not for visual media. Looks like it's time to visit my local/physical book store.

2 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

Buying books blind over the internet/off Amazon - not the best idea. At least not for visual media. Looks like it's time to visit my local/physical book store.

Oh no! I stumbled across a folder of Pennsylvania Dutch designs at an antique store last summer, so you might try hitting up antique stores with art books.

1 hour ago, madPete said:

You prolly dont want me involved

No actually, right now the more the merrier!...I think.

As for kinds/types of content, that's up to Duchess. But I think this first round is more about fun and becoming familiar with the tools and learning the process.

3 hours ago, madPete said:

My youngest son bought some tools and I guess its a rubber block that you can carve? I'd have to get ambitious again.

There's a bunch of different things you can do! A not exhaustive list of things to use:

• Piece of wood lumber (pros: small pieces are often cast offs and easy to find, con: grain can be a pain work with, just do all your carving with the grain, absorbs ink)
  • Linoelum block (pros durable, can be carved in any direction, consistent. cons: can be expensive, might want a way to hold it while carving, set size unless you want to saw)
  • unmounted linoelum (pros, easy to cut to size, straightforward carving. cons: not rigid, easy to accidentally cut through, still kinda expensive)
  • rubber blocks for printing, ie Speedy carve (pros: pink is super easy to carve, easy to cut to size cons: kinda expensive, might be hard to source, not long term durable)
  • pink eraser blocks (pros:cheap, easy to find, easy to carve. Cons: small size, hard to hold while carving)
  • potatoes (Pros: easy to care, easy to find, cheap. cons: kinda wet and starchy. rots)
  • 3D printing (Pros: I dunno? Fun to combine lots of skills, no hand strength needed Cons: expensive, time consuming, high learning curve)

Other things that aren't exactly carving or block printing that you could do:

• Mono printing, basically painting with the ink and then making one print of that
  • Found objects, finding material with interesting texture/relief and printing with those this is really easy to do with leaves