Reviving the old tents

madPete

On 4/7/2023 at 11:32 AM, Mary Diamond said:

Had you considered T-nuts and threaded nuts? I use these extensively for table assembles, as well as for a cane. With thicker stock and a heavier threaded rod, these may be something to consider for stool options. Using a Forster bit to create an angled depression on the bottom side of the seat to receive the leg, and rounding the foot end of the legs, can give you an angled leg that will be stable on a wide variety of surfaces.

https://www.rockler.com/steel-threaded-inserts-select-size

https://www.rockler.com/screw-on-tee-nuts-choose-size-thread

I have a scrap at home that will make a nice stool/bench - if I get a chance I will try the Forster bits+threaded inserts with epoxy, and post the results.

nice! I'm making every stool slightly different shapes/colors

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 2 weeks later...

My tent has jute rope for ties across the doors front and back, as well as thru the grommet holes I stitched for the stake tiedowns. I replaced the jute once a few years back as it was all frayed. It was time to do the same so I planned to upgrade the rope this time around. Purchased 60 yards of hemp rope (roughly 5/16 - 3/8). It came in 2-50yd and 10yd pieces from Hemp Traders online

The 10 yards was cut up for new tent door ties and stake ties. I made two 12ft length guidelines. Will probably use the rest as well for guidelines for the fly.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

On 4/7/2023 at 11:32 AM, Mary Diamond said:

I have a scrap at home that will make a nice stool/bench - if I get a chance I will try the Forster bits+threaded inserts with epoxy, and post the results.

where's that stool/bench you were advertising you would make?  Also, Mission was threatening to out engineer my stools, c'mon healthy competition is good!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

BTW - These stools are for the Pyracy pub events. I planned to make at least 4 for the pub and maybe one or two for my camp. I have a couple folding stools, but they just dont fit well in the duffle for flying.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

22 hours ago, madPete said:

where's that stool/bench you were advertising you would make?  Also, Mission was threatening to out engineer my stools, c'mon healthy competition is good!

Busy with my other reenactment projects +++, but Mark and I just brought home a truckload of lumber that was going to be thrown out… so, when an opportunity presents itself, I will see what I can do. You know, with all the free time I have… 😉

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

On 4/23/2023 at 4:41 PM, madPete said:

Purchased 60 yards of hemp rope...

For this noble cause, I just purchased 600ft of 1/4 inch (not suppose to be jute) hemp rope - I'm bringing it to Fort Gaines. If any body wants some, let me know.

PXL_20230422_164613108.jpg