Breakfast Waffles Over The Fire - 18th Century Cooking with Townsends

William Brand

Wow! I've been working on developing a waffle recipe for my family, after of our favorite mix changed. What we've settled on is strikingly similar to this one!

2 cups all purpose flour

1.5 cups of warm milk

3 tbls brown sugar (I suspect maple syrup or honey would be equally good)

3/4 tsp salt

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

1.5 tsp yeast

Let rise 1 hour on counter or overnight in refrigerator after an hour on the counter.

Here's this mornings breakfast.

IMG_8825.jpg

If you were on a ship, it was typically biscuit and cheese for breakfast. I did find one period instance of a merchant ship where they made rice - the rare example of a hot breakfast. 

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Waffles, hmm? Good heavens! Scrambled eggs and roasted coffee over the fire, we'll be having some fabulous breakfasts! 

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

2 hours ago, Stynky Tudor said:

Did some one say non period waffles?

large.PXL_20230306_180334215.jpg.ae99d112a72ffec5c2e656b64eae22d8.jpg

large.PXL_20230306_190716961.jpg.d24a2f45b14e9ea3cf19a64894bc375c.jpg

Krusteaz Belgian mix used to be the good stuff! BUT they changed their recipe late last year and the new stuff smells just like playdoh to me and I can't get over it. I was so bummed. So we started experimenting and came up with the yeasted recipe I posted above.

On 2/25/2023 at 11:07 AM, Duchess said:

Wow! I've been working on developing a waffle recipe for my family, after of our favorite mix changed. What we've settled on is strikingly similar to this one!

2 cups all purpose flour

1.5 cups of warm milk

3 tbls brown sugar (I suspect maple syrup or honey would be equally good)

3/4 tsp salt

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

1.5 tsp yeast

Let rise 1 hour on counter or overnight in refrigerator after an hour on the counter.

Here's this mornings breakfast.

IMG_8825.jpg

Awesome - Thanks! I too have been disappointed in the mixes lately

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

2 hours ago, Duchess said:

Krusteaz Belgian mix used to be the good stuff! BUT they changed their recipe late last year

We purchased a couple boxes of Krusteaz last year, hopefully these are old new stock.

With the news that they've changed the recipe, looks like I'll be making them from scratch once the last box is gone.

Except for eggs, milk, vanilla and yeast, we could mix it up ahead of time in baggies and bring to ft Gaines. We would need a grocery run and a cast iron wafflemaker. I have a small one which i just purchased and seasoned. So I'm trying out the above recipe with added ingredients from the JS townsend video (nutmeg and wine). I'll let you know how I did...

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Delicious!!!

The first waffle came out in two pieces because I forgot to melt butter over the cast iron. But it still tasted great. Scraped some sticky pieces off, buttered and WALLAH! see below. Everyone after came out nice 4 minutes a side on the stovetop on Med heat...

wafflesInIron.jpg

waffleOnPlate.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

2 hours ago, madPete said:

Except for eggs, milk, vanilla and yeast, we could mix it up ahead of time in baggies and bring to ft Gaines. We would need a grocery run and a cast iron wafflemaker. I have a small one which i just purchased and seasoned. So I'm trying out the above recipe with added ingredients from the JS townsend video (nutmeg and wine). I'll let you know how I did...

The mix actually keeps pretty well! We usually make a batch on Friday night/saturday morning and eat waffles for breakfast for 3-4 days. You might be able to make it up ahead of time and store it in a jug in a cooler.

58 minutes ago, madPete said:

Delicious!!!

The first waffle came out in two pieces because I forgot to melt butter over the cast iron. But it still tasted great. Scraped some sticky pieces off, buttered and WALLAH! see below. Everyone after came out nice 4 minutes a side on the stovetop on Med heat...

These look so good! I'm glad you tried the recipe!

It made almost a perfect 6 waffles in my iron. I ate the first one and froze the remaining 5. Then you can either microwave or toast them depending on your preference.

I did add nutmeg and about a half gil of Madeira wine to your recipe, per the Js Townsends video.

We'll have to discuss food for Ft Gaines as we are flying in. Dont think my waffle iron is gonna fly with us LOL

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

2 hours ago, madPete said:

...froze the remaining 5. Then you can either microwave or toast them depending on your preference.

I'm sorry, but NO you can't.

Reheating homemade frozen waffles in a microwave is against all natural law and violates several (secret) Pyracy Pub Policies. Besides it changes the texture to yuk.

As a PPM, Pyracy Pub Member, you are only entitled to reheat such things with either a toaster, toaster oven or open flame.