Making the Cargo Bale

Photo 1 - I created a rectangular wooden frame of pine 2x2s reinforced with metal corner brackets. 

Photo 2- I reinforced the top essentially making a bench so that once finished it could serve as a seat.

Photo 3 - I reinforced the bottom but added a hidden hatch so that the interior of the bale could be used for storage. I couldn't justify something so big as just a seat or just as a set piece, so it is where we hide farby modern things we have to have, such as the drill for the screws assembling the tables cutter made, or the current med kit, etc.

Photo 4 - The working hatch underneath with simple hinges and locks. 

Photo 5 -  I wrapped it in two layers of cushion foam and stapled it to the frame, careful to staple in certain places so that it didn't effect the overall cushiony look or feel of the bale. The cushioning surrounds the entire thing except the bottom, covering only an inch or two of the bottom at the sides. This also serves to hide the fact the bottom isn't cushioned.

Photo 6 - I used two layers of canvas to wrap the entire form.  This way should the top layer rip through use or wear it wouldn't show the foam underneath. I pulled it tight, cut excess, and carefully sewed the fabric so it covered the foam tightly. I left a flap of canvas underneath to cover the wood of the hatch. It doesn't completely hide it, but no wood is exposed so if it happens to tilt or tip people are less likely to notice it's true nature. I then chose an East India Company logo that I painted with a small brush and a toothpick for details. I picked the bale number for a band I liked because why not. 

Photo 7 - Decided upon using an East India Trading Company bale mark. I painted it on using a small paintbrush and a toothpick to avoid smearing the paint on the rough canvas.

Photo 8 - I added the ropes. I couldn't tell from paintings if the ropes were interwoven with one another, or just looped around. Interwoven seemed more secure to me so that's what I did. They end underneath the bale, where the ends are whipped, stapled, and sewn to the foam on the edge of the bottom. The ropes are also sewn together where they overlap, and sewn in places, secretly, to the fabric of the bale.

Photos 9 and 10 - The cargo bale photographed in the wild.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

274608532_924673974896276_6892909580908021609_n.jpg

274854457_10102645285164727_6757763971234583557_n.jpg

Nicely done! Had you applied any fabric or wood treatment to protect the piece?

I had come across this video while wandering through bushcraft videos, and was intrigued by the possibilities for protecting a wide variety of materials (canvas, rope, etc.) without substantially changing their color (as with Townsends video on oilcloth). NeverWet by Rustoleum is also in our paint locker, awaiting a trial…

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

While Sawford made his bales a little more elaborately, and truly improved...

The similarities matter more regarding resiliency. And having had made and used mine since 2016(ish?), outside of some good natural ging and mild staining, over regular use for those 6 or 7 years, I think it is safe to say the benefits to rewards of any potential extra steps for treating the canvas might be more effort than what it would be worth.

But this would be a very worthy addition to the "Crafting Kit" section, as while many of us have made various versions of these over the years, this is one of the cooler takes on them I have seen.

Michael_banner.jpg

At one time 182 was an allusion to this movie …

(A huge hit, with a sizable cultural impact at the time, which many have forgotten about now.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turk_182

I’m going to need to make something like this …

After I figure out how to store them …

My temporary idea us slip-covers over collasible totes (I have 4 Clevermade ones, in 2 different styles)

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

So, I spoke with 18th Century Cleophas on Instagram ( and highly recommend that you follow him if you are on Instagram because he's an 18th c Fabric Seller Living Historian and researcher of 18th c fabrics, and he's based in Europe)... 
Anyways, he said "The fabrics were, after all, only narrowly woven and were wound on thin boards so that the woven fabric became small bales of fabric." 

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

10 hours ago, LadyBarbossa said:

So, I spoke with 18th Century Cleophas on Instagram ( and highly recommend that you follow him if you are on Instagram because he's an 18th c Fabric Seller Living Historian and researcher of 18th c fabrics, and he's based in Europe)... 
Anyways, he said "The fabrics were, after all, only narrowly woven and were wound on thin boards so that the woven fabric became small bales of fabric." 

I suspected something like that, just couldnt find it. Thank you!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!