Sleep covers? Tents, Flies, Etc

Tartan Jack

At overnight events in the past, I’ve always managed to sleep under someone’s fly (usually something brought extra or as part of the display) or on a boat. 

I figure I should get my own …

What does everyone use for overnight events?

Images would be great.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

I've used Red Hawk Trading Company.  http://www.redhawktrading.com/products.html

I used them for several reasons.  People bragged on the rugged construction, and they aren't wrong.  The tents are very well made.  Also, they were within driving distance, so no shipping costs.  Also...they were an odd size, because a custom order had fallen through so we bought two of them for a reduced price.  I can't say enough good about them.  That said, while my tent is a simple wedge, it isn't period.  Close, but not period.  

It's hard to find close tents, but there are more period ones out there in terms of cut and materials.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

5 minutes ago, William Brand said:

I've used Red Hawk Trading Company.  http://www.redhawktrading.com/products.html

I used them for several reasons.  People bragged on the rugged construction, and they aren't wrong.  The tents are very well made.  Also, they were within driving distance, so no shipping costs.  Also...they were an odd size, because a custom order had fallen through so we bought two of them for a reduced price.  I can't say enough good about them.  That said, while my tent is a simple wedge, it isn't period.  Close, but not period.  

It's hard to find close tents, but there are more period ones out there in terms of cut and materials.

Now … I want a tipi …

The tarp-fly is what’s I’d probably get.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

A number of years ago, I bought a used wedge tent from CrazyCholeBlack, through the Thieves Market. It had hardly been used and was in great shape.

I searched for a picture, but can't find one at the moment.

I think if you're going/sleeping by yourself, the single tarp/fly/diamond structure works well enough. A wedge tent provides a bit more space and privacy, plus you can stand up inside (helps while getting dressed). But of course it's heavy and a pain to lug around.

Let us know what you get and post some pictures of it setup.

I used a couple of painters canvas as a lean to type set up. Something simple to set up and comfortable enough for one person.Below is a photo of my simple set up. I have some better ones but have to dig around for them.

_MG_7089.jpg

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

I've made a couple of "tarp" shelters over the years.

From a pragmatic perspective, they are light, have a multitude of possible configurations based on where/how you set them up, and one of the cheapest options to buy, and cheaper (but more timely) to construct oneself.

From a historical context, there are several mentions of the use of the "prelart" by the early French traders of the late 17th through mid-18th century. I'm too lazy to go through my books to provide a bunch of citations, but Jeff Pavlik's web page on the topic provides some good references and places to start hunting for better citations if that is your thing. https://colonialbaker.net/prelart.html

Michael_banner.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...