New hobbies and old interests

Duchess

Since the pub left us in 2015, my Slops by Chaaps venture has come and gone. It was an attempt to provide higher quality 1700s garb for our pirate events and raise the bar from typical fair garb. The pandemic pretty much shut events down and with that came the lack of interest in historical clothing. Between that, some burnout, and difficulty getting supplies, I just let it go.

With the pandemic, I caught Covid just before the lockdown. It resulted in a minor several day illness no worse than a flu for me. Being shut in a quiet house was the bigger illness and not something I dealt with very well, so I fell back on some old interests I was either dabbling in already or hadnt explored in a long time. I started spending more time mountain biking, picked up BMX again, and just generally rode bicycles like crazy. Since it was outdoors, it wasnt subject to all the pandemic shutdowns. I could still meet new people and enjoy a hobby.

At 59 I broke three ribs on a jump trail, walked the bike back 1/2 mile from the trails and managed to ride it another 2 miles back home... That accident drove me back like a demon, mountain biking every day following 6-8 weeks of healing. I peaked out at about 8-10 miles a day, and then went thru the phases of BMX racing only to find my lower back just cant do it at a competitive level. I tried my hand at skatepark riding and dirt jumping, and have generally landed in a happy medium enjoying the bicycles and health affects of riding frequently.

Now my interest in Pyracy has been rekindled.

If you need a bump to raise your interest, just talk to William Brand for 10 minutes!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

7 hours ago, madPete said:

OMG - You are an animal indeed!

I'd follow you anywhere Quartermaster! Where's the next Pyrate raid?

I worked them up into a riot.  The convention staff would fight over who got to staff our event, because we were so crazy fun.

The next raid is coming up soon.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

20 hours ago, madPete said:

Since the pub left us in 2015, my Slops by Chaaps venture has come and gone. It was an attempt to provide higher quality 1700s garb for our pirate events and raise the bar from typical fair garb. The pandemic pretty much shut events down and with that came the lack of interest in historical clothing. Between that, some burnout, and difficulty getting supplies, I just let it go.

With the pandemic, I caught Covid just before the lockdown. It resulted in a minor several day illness no worse than a flu for me. Being shut in a quiet house was the bigger illness and not something I dealt with very well, so I fell back on some old interests I was either dabbling in already or hadnt explored in a long time. I started spending more time mountain biking, picked up BMX again, and just generally rode bicycles like crazy. Since it was outdoors, it wasnt subject to all the pandemic shutdowns. I could still meet new people and enjoy a hobby.

At 59 I broke three ribs on a jump trail, walked the bike back 1/2 mile from the trails and managed to ride it another 2 miles back home... That accident drove me back like a demon, mountain biking every day following 6-8 weeks of healing. I peaked out at about 8-10 miles a day, and then went thru the phases of BMX racing only to find my lower back just cant do it at a competitive level. I tried my hand at skatepark riding and dirt jumping, and have generally landed in a happy medium enjoying the bicycles and health affects of riding frequently.

Now my interest in Pyracy has been rekindled.

If you need a bump to raise your interest, just talk to William Brand for 10 minutes!

Excellent!

My husband and I are avid mountain bikers (he also rides a variety of BMX) we actually stopped riding as much during the pandemic. Our local trails were absolutely flooded with new people who were in way over their heads. It got to the point that we were having to act as first responders nearly every time we went out and when you have to be the responsible adult for everyone else around  you, it sort of takes the fun out your adventure escape. We switched to night riding almost exclusively for the first two years. I'm hopeful we'll be able to get back out more in the daylight this summer. A few months ago at an antique store, we found a book on the trails in our region that was published in 1994 (revised 1998). Our summer plan is to revisit trails comparing the the guide to do today. Huzzah to 25 years of change!

I wandered off after several of the groups I was involved with (inc Blackjohn’s) fell apart.

My son did competitive youth baseball from 2013-2017 (his team won 3 DYB (southern equivalent of little league- & home to many of the old, good youth programs) state titles, coming in 2nd & 3rd twice in the world series.

Then … travelball.

Now, high school ball & we’ll see the next phase of baseball ….

I make my own baseball jerseys- ususlly a custom felt emblem over a blank jersey atop another emblem.

Also, joined the 501st Legion as a TIE pilot & gunner.

Now, back into pirate stuff, which also leads me back into Scottish stuff (overlapping period)

F62E9924-C40E-4EEC-9845-D63DB721BD05.jpeg

3A20EE6D-E39D-48B6-BD62-EEE11F215040.jpeg

1655ED05-9676-414F-A7F9-0A948D816AC9.jpeg

1DA12F85-DC03-4E48-8B1E-D77B5455DCFA.jpeg

2187C959-E88B-478C-84DC-7826E93DF042.jpeg

DC3F3832-FF6B-4D25-80FC-FEC766612D53.jpeg

F8FC74A1-4303-4196-A2F4-A767C20FBB64.jpeg

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Hello everyone!  Duchess I love that you restore fountain pens..I have a pen fetish.  Any and all types of pens.  I try and play minecraft but had a lousy computer now I have a faster one so may try again.  The Pirate Fortress is really cool!  For me it's working, still have heath issues my diabetes remains uncontolled.  My daughter is trying to get me into sewing with her.  She is making aprons and such.  I really need to get back into sewing and drawing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png