Restoring Old Links

Mission

I have used links to the forum in many places - on my website, in social media, here in the Pub itself. They used to be in this form:

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=10480

They are now in this form:

https:// pyracy.com/topic/11787-bale-seals-company-emblems-makers-marks-trade-symbols/page/2/#comments

When the mods were trying to sort topics out of the huge pile a few months ago in preparation for restarting the Pub, the old form worked. (I checked a couple at the time.) It no longer works.

Can we adjust it so the old form still works? It must be able to be done because it was working before forum was restored by someone else. Otherwise, there are a shload of links here and elsewhere that no longer work even though they have the correct ID number. 

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Still looking for a fix...

In past versions of the Pub message board software, there was an option for (simpler) "Friendly" internet links - I don't see anything like that now. I've been searching the company site that we license the message board software from - so far I haven't found anything useful. 

I did find half a solution in the Admin Panel, but it uses Bitly to shorten web address links. To be honest, I'm not real familiar with this technology and my confidence is low that it would give back our old link structure.

• 2 weeks later...

I've "Enabled" "Force Friendly URLs", "When enabled, if a user visits a non-friendly URL (which may happen, for example, if you have upgraded from an older version of Invision Community and the old URL is in search engine results, etc.) they will be redirected to the friendly URL."

Give it a day or so to propagate, then give your links another try. If this doesn't fix the problem, let me know and we'll try shutting "Friendly URLs" completely off.