The Confederate Privateers

hitman

Ok this this thread is a continuation of one I started in plunder.

Deacon the reason Her Majesties degree prevented privateers from fitting out in England was two fold.

1 It not only prevented them from bringing in their prizes but also had provisions against outfitting privateers so crossing the sea to get weapons was a mute point if you had to sail home to bring in your prizes.

2 The confederate laws for the issuing of letters of mark required that they be inspect by a person authorized to issue said letters of mark and that they be already fully equipped.

For these reason confederate privateers did not at any time fit out in Europe. They were only effectively fit out in the Southern ports of Charleston, New Orleans, and Savannah.. After the year 1861 few if any applications were made for letters of mark and reprisal and by the end 1862 the lure of blockade running was so strong that no more successful cruises were made. As to the confusion about this we are making the distinction here between the privateers and the Confederate navy. Although they considered themselves a separate country the confederate states were considered by the Union merely rebellious states. Hence they described even the naval vessels of the South as pirates (Yes pirates not privateers as a foot note it was only the threat of reprisals by the Confederacy that kept captured privateers from the pirates fate of the nose). So even though ships like the C.S.S. Alabama and Florida outfitted in Europe the privateers did not. It is interesting to note that both the Hunnley and the Manassas were both originally fitted out for privateering. It is the conclusion of most historians that privateering was by April of 1861 an idea past its prime. The failure of it during The war between the states seems to confirm this. As I was looking for information to reenact these last of the breed I was not disappointed. It appears that many went to see rich in small arms but poor in main artillery. A description of arms from one of these vessels would be similar to the following,

Rifles converted to percussion from flintlock (presumably as this was all that was available)

Revolvers and single shot pistols of various type and caliber

Sawed of shotguns

And of course the predominant cutlass ( in at least one case these were made for the vessel by a local black smith)

As to clothing it was a mess of local sailor attire.

The early cruises of some vessels were quite successful and even the issuance of the letters of marque and reprisal were a huge scare to the Union merchant marine. As an example of this it appears that nothing but a few unsuccessful attempt were made in the pacific but there were multiple reports of black painted crafted tormenting packet and whale ships all along the coast of California. In a more personal note I grew up near the ogechee river and was surprised to find that the Confederate States Privately Armed Ship Rattle Snake was sunk at the mouth of this river by Union vessels……Took the stupid Yankees three tries with an IRONCLAD I might add. <_<:ph34r:

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

... (Yes pirates not privateers as a foot note it was only the threat of reprisals by the Confederacy that kept captured privateers from the pirates fate of the nose) ...

Aye, that be soundin' a terrible fate. What is it? ;)

You're right, Hitman, there is some confusion here. I don't know about the privateers, but some of the commerce raiders were definitely purchased and even built to order in England. They were largely fitted out there, but the armament could be added elsewhere, as with the Alabama. The guns were from England, but they joined her only after she had sailed to the Azores.

I'd thought the raiders were your primary interest.

Bravo Deacon

Yes the raiders were fitted out all over the world but they were public ships. My intrest in the privateers kinda stems from the lack of info I could find on them. The Confederate Privateers is the first (and to date the only) good source I've found. Also I must apologize I had ment to put this thread in Capt. Twill but lack of caffine caught up with me.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

We ought to form our own informal group called the Confederate Privateers! What say ye, loyal sons and daughters of the South?

:blink::lol: :)

Capt. William

Works for me. Would be a nice compliment to my Texican Privateers.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

Well, hell, mates; we already have a Yahoogroup (I know, because I just-now created it!)

Want to join? We're at

confederateprivateers@yahoogroups.com

Capt. William

(as if he doesn't ALREADY spend way too much time on e-mail...)

:lol:

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"